High voltage battery in 2022 SE from 2017 BMWI3 /ancient technology

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, Jul 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

That Mini Cooper SE is a chipest EV on market in USA and many new adopters can afford and your Taycan is $200000 useless car for daily driving to grocery store us I love a Porsches I have no use for it and that car 20 years later is not going to keep value like my 1975 911 and all prices for those EV are not affordable for 90% of populations or gas get to $10 and folks have not choices to switch to EV,s than a grid is going to collapse and we stay in darkness without a fridge or Wi-Fi.A technology is still limping to get there another 20 years to GO .

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

All I see in that picture is somebody's belt buckle or zipper scratching the paint on my fender. :(

GetOffYourGas and MiniAlpacas like this.
  4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

You cant have SE rear drive bc is no room for a motor and I 3 didn’t take a room from battery bc battery was between a wheels and a range extender was next to electric motor on rear of a car .Mini Cooper BMW just adopted a chassis to make contraption of Electric car from body of Mini on a market for 20 years in that shape and from since 1965 They don’t want to build decent small car for US WV did years ago as People,s car call /Volkswagen in German

5. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Lucid is a Marvel design $95.400 **** one and $139.00 GOOD one if you really can afford a one you should have a a designated driver just a joke and don’t take to shopping center to be smashed with shopping carts.

6. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

That picture is a fake get F150 and fill a bed with chicken wings and lack of Frunk in SE is no big issue but idiots with BMWI 3 with with range extender were carrying 5 gallons gasoline in a Frunk to get to their destination to extend a range was like carrying a BOMB in frontal CRASH .

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

9. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I3 was always 92 MPH limited by government

11. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Lowest point on Lucid Air is 3.125 inches so it's not fun driving over ice chunks and windrows in the winter.

SameGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

4.9 “ with 19” tires with 21” tires 5.5” and is no snow mobile use a truck in winter or leave in FL CA

14. I feel so too.. they wanted to match S, but I'm sure it can surpass JCW easily..

15. Tesla Model 3...It is a very small car... I had it.

16. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

Oh, for sure.

Although they are all ICE cars, it’s exactly the same thing Porsche has always done with the mid-engined cars Vs the 911. Except for maybe the GT4 RS.

17. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

There’s very little jerk off the line in the SE. It’s pretty clearly software locked, especially from 0-15 mph.

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You must have come to your 185" Model 3 from a 60s Cadillac if you consider it a very small car--it's nearly a yard longer than a MINI. Although half a foot longer than a MINI, the 158-inch BMW i3 had room for a frunk only because they put all the propulsion bits at the rear end.

19. CuriousGeorge

I assume that's because of snapped axles in early i3 years.

OTOH, despite having more conventionally-sized tires the FWD Chevy Bolt is known for readily spinning its eco-focused tires.

Ah, the downsides of the torque-rpm relationship of electric motors!

polyphonic likes this.
  20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That's the story I believe, too. I wonder how much MINI would have to beef up the axles to withstand more abuse? Do the JCW MINIs have software protecting their axles? In the original press materials for the SE, MINI touted the traction control logic being part of the motor control system, which shortens the reaction time, so I doubt the JCWs can do the same thing.

This is text from the press release on the magic day, July 9, 2019, when MINI unveiled the production MINI Cooper SE:

In order to ensure that the high level of torque supplied by the electric motor immediately on set-off can be put to use for hallmark brand riding fun without loss of traction, the new MINI Cooper SE has an innovative DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system. This drive slip control system, designed specifically for the spontaneous power delivery provided by electric motors, makes for particularly supreme driving qualities in all road and weather conditions. The so-called wheel-slip limiting close to the actuator means that control operations are calculated directly inside the drive system rather than in a distant control unit with long signal pathways, as is the case in conventional driving stability systems. This perceptibly optimises both set-off traction and driving stability in brake energy recovery mode, as well as when accelerating out of tight bends.

However, I am happy to sacrifice fractions of a second on my way to 60 mph in trade for the elimination of wheelspin when I tromp on the accelerator. I'm sure this feature has helped my front tires last 2 years, despite the cornering torture I inflict upon them. That longevity is, of course, also due to having winter tires to give my summer tires a break.

polyphonic likes this.
  21. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I think the motor mounts snapped. They used rubber mounts before switching to aluminum. I am guessing the rubber was used for NVH purposes. Standard drive shafts can take a lot of abuse. Just look at the 1+ million model 3s out there that get launched from every stop.

Coincidentally my i3 had the older traction control system (pre-2018) and while it was good, the i3S/Mini SE traction control is delightful. I love hearing it whirr back and forth when gunning it on a less-than-perfect road. :)

I drove a Bolt and Niro after owning the Mini and hated the non-stop wheel spin.

22. CuriousGeorge

You're right - there was even an NHSTA recall (or advisory) about the issue.

Not dissing the i3 - just don't want to be a source of misinformation.

insightman likes this.