Spare tire and rim of some sort I had my first flat..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by GPM432, Mar 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I've made some "improvements" for holding up the back half of the spare, although in retrospect I think the net result was just adding another kg of weight. Oddly the floor already had holes in the gusset (under the sound damping material) that matched those in the bracket so I only had to drill through the very-thin base sheetmetal, removing the underside splash guard first.
    I bought the TopmaQ scissor jack that @hieronymous recommended and used some old rear floor mats to keep everything quiet.

While underneath I noticed that Hyundai could have easily made the cavity large enough for a spacesaver by extending it both forward and rearward into the bumper space. There's lots of room that disappointingly has not been exploited.
    IMG_1852.jpeg

IMG_1853.jpeg

IMG_1849.jpeg

IMG_1863.jpeg

IMG_1865.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    Keith Dowey, OzKona, Fastnf and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Finally became a member of this spare tire club today:
    [​IMG]
    Took it out for a spin, everything works.
    I do have some additional work to secure it in place and will probably follow procedure (post #81) above next week.
    [​IMG]
    Obviously not as organized as @KiwiME , that will take more work...later.
    A huge Thank You to @apu :)

4. You've scored the ideal size as well!

5. Nice job:)
    I agree on the wasted space, Hyundai could have easily designed the rear part towards the bumper at least 5". A future project with my welding friend maybe. But in the meantime, a rainy day off. so I made my spare a lot safer to transport and added supports:

Dilled 2 holes ~1/2" diameter just forward of the existing plugged holes, so the bolts would not interfere with the splash guard:
    [​IMG]
    underside view of 1 (other is identical) deburred with file and touch up no rust paint:
    [​IMG]
    Here are the bolts I made, 3/8" threaded rod 11" long, stainless flat washers and rubber washer to avoid any rattling:
    [​IMG]
    From the top side I added a floating nut about 1" up (including another rubber washer) so rod would not fall out when tire is removed. They can swing around to ease installation into the spare rim:
    [​IMG]
    View of movable bolts from underneath:
    [​IMG]
    Here is how they turned out after installing the spare:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The tightened bolts view from underneath, the rubber washers will prevent water from entering the cavity above:
    [​IMG]
    All loaded up, the jack and all the goodies sit under the spare (lots of room for more stuff if required):
    [​IMG]
    And the final image with the cover etc in place:
    [​IMG]
    Total time ~ 4 hours, materials cost ~$10.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    Keith Dowey, java, OzKona and 3 others like this.
  6. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Hello all,

I got a few questions.

I recently purchased a spare tire on ebay. It is from a 2013 Genesis (T135 90 D17).

The weird thing is that the spare is slightly larger than my regular tire (215 55 R17). I would thought that it should be the same size since many of you purchased a similar sized tire. From your pictures, it seems that some of you have the same T135 90 D17 tire but it looks smaller than the regular tire????

Will the tire I bought work, even though it is like 1/2 larger than the regular Kona EV tire?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. A 215 55 R17 has a sidewall height of 215 x 55% (118.25 mm). A 135 90 17 has a sidewall height of 135 x 90% (121.5 mm). Sidewall difference is only 3.25 mm or .128 inches. ( about a 1/4 inch for the entire tire height difference than the stock tire). Depending on which website you look at (and depending on the tire make) a 135 90 17 travels 759 revolutions per mile while a 215 55 17 travels 764 revolutions per mile. This is about as close you can get for a spare tire for the Kona EV.

Kirk, Fastnf, Ed C and 1 other person like this.
  9. By the way the Kona EV sold in India comes with a 135 80 17 spare tire. (See 2nd to last page of the attached brochure) The sidewall height of that tire is 108mm (135 x 80%). A sidewall difference of 10.25mm from the stock 215 55 17.

Attached Files:

Keith Dowey, Kirk and electriceddy like this.
  10. upload_2022-7-9_13-53-7.png

They seem to have used the 64 kWh range for this model with the 39 kWh battery.

11. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Well I got a flat the other day and I pulled my spare out of the trunk . I exchanged the tires and was done in like 20 minutes. It would of taken me that long to get anyone on any particular call center.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Co-incidentally, I had mine yesterday. A big Tek screw very close to the shoulder, but in the tread area. Phew. (In Aus, if it's in the shoulder tyre shops are not allowed to repair it and the tyre is a write-off - though plenty of DIYers and 4WDers ignore that.)

Anyway, I was thankful for the temporary spare that I bought back in Sept 2021. (Post #71)

Keith Dowey, electriceddy and KiwiME like this.
  14. Curiosity led me to these 2 videos of India reviews showing the Hyundai included spare in the boot:
    [​IMG]
    from this video
    and
    [​IMG]
    from this video
    Note the smaller 135/80/17 tire size leaves more room than the 135/90/17 as our replacements rest tight to the back where the Hyundai supplied smaller version still has space.
    Also interesting is the support set up using what looks like 2 bolted crossrails under the tire which level and results in less pitch at the front.
    With the smaller 39 kWh pack not having any cells in the top tier modules, a lot more could have been done to increase the boot area under the rear seat if Hyundai had decided to do some pack housing reconfiguring as well as increasing the rear area towards the rear bumper. Who knows how much room might have been gained, but the market obviously was not there.;)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    java, KonaAU, KiwiME and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Does a T155 70 D 17 also work?

16. There is just enough room with my 135 90 17 to get the trunk floor lid to lay flat. I would say I have about a quarter inch to spare for tire width. A 155 70 17 would be 20mm wider (about 0.8 of an inch) and I don't think there would be enough room.

17. I'm using a T155/90 D16 and although I can squeeze it in, I had to let some of the air out to make it fit. I wouldn't recommend it if you have better options.

18. My T155/80 R17 allows the floor to lie flat.

19. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Just another question.

I purchased a 21 mm socket for the lugnuts. My Kona EV is in the US, not Canada.

Although the socket fits into the lugnuts, it is not tight fitting....is that normal?

Is the 21 mm socket the closest to fitting the US Kona EV lugnuts, or is there a better size?

electriceddy likes this.
  20. Yes, a 21mm is a loose fit. If your socket is a single hex you can use it but it is not ideal. OK maybe for infrequent DIY. A much better solution for lug nuts is a properly fitting single hex socket.

If your 21mm socket is a double hex then definitely do not use it, you will ruin the lug nuts.

The imperial equivalent is 13/16 inch which is slightly smaller (0.22mm) than 21mm. Buy single hex sockets for lug nuts - over time double hex sockets damage the chrome at the points of the nuts.

FWIW Australia is a metricated country yet my Aussie Kona seems to need the imperial size. I wonder if it's the same in Canada and other metric markets.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    Kirk and electriceddy like this.
  21. Dealer service techs use 21mm 6 point socket which is same as what I purchased as well. The 13/16 inch will fit tighter, but will not fit the one security lug adaptor (if your car has those equipped). ;)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    OzKona likes this.
  22. rgthoma

rgthoma New Member

I just wanted to thank everyone for the information on which spare tires will work. I have a 2020 Ultimate model (in the USA) and removed the foam blocks from the rear storage area. Visited a local wrecking yard and found a 135/90/17 spare tire from a Genesis. I paid $17.50 out the door. My granny charger came in a long horizontal canvas bag. I added the lug wrench and other items from the foam blocks to the canvas bag. I placed a scissor jack under the spare tire on the front side and the canvas bag on the rear side which seems to hold the spare fairly level. I was able to strap down the tire using one of the rear seat mounts and removing a plug from the rear area of the floor on the driver's side. Not perfect, but should hold well enough. I live in North Central California so it doesn't rain enough here to worry about any water intrusion. Thanks again for the great information.

electriceddy likes this.
  23. That is one of the really nice things on this forum, valuable information found little places elsewhere from some extremely competent and relative experienced posters.
    Not sure if you read this forum much or just googled "spare tire Kona Electric" and got directed here, but I would like to take this opportunity to offer some shortcuts to several other of my personal favorite threads:
    This one (pinned to the top) definitely worth a read through, a lot on the drive train and preventative maintenance in the later posts.
    Second one explains in detail 12 V accessory battery charging algorithms , and it's sibling thread, in case of required replacement.
    This one is kind of fun, contains modifications (tweaks), arguably some can be as beneficial as the spare tire thread.
    This thread involves the actual cells and their limitations LG installed into our cars, again useful info.
    You were lucky to find the appropriate spare from a local source, I hope it works well for you.
    BTW welcome to the forum:)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022