Case for the 54kwh

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Eswa, Jul 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Eswa

Eswa New Member

So as a newbie here I'd like to ask a question. Say I'm considering buying an EV. I'm in Stockholm, Sweden and as I can imagine, like most people my daily amount of km's is low. But also, I'm Dutch so a couple of times a year, we would like to drive home which is about 1500km.
    Thinking of buying used in a bit when sth interesting shows up, so I'm looking around at the marketplace apps like autoscout24. For say low in the €40.000's one can get an good (400km-ish range) ID3 or the small battery Ioniq 5. By design, it's technical superiority (in chargespeed and V2L) and that it's just more spacious, makes me want an Ioniq5. Heck, it is just the coolest car out there, but just slightly over my budget, so I'm considering the cheapest version. So, what are all of your thoughts on the small battery version?
    And keeping the resale value in mind, would people want to pay for the small battery version in a couple years time?
    Would we be happier with a smaller ID3 with like 100km more range, or does the faster charging kind of take that benefit away and then the Ioniq is just a better car?
    I'm in early stages of my car exploration, so might tweak my wants and needs ;-) But just curious to hear your opinions about the smaller battery version.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. BCBeaver

BCBeaver New Member

1500km, so maybe 4 charge stops with a 77kw battery or 5 with a 54kw battery. 2 trips per year would be about 4x15minutes at a fast charger or one hour per year. Pretty good argument for the 54kw. I make a 300km trip about 6 or 8 times per month otherwise I'd have gotten a 54kw.

Resale? Someone will be stoked to have enough range to rip around town all day.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  4. May I suggest that the best EV you can buy is the one you like drive? The nascent technologies in most of these vehicles is so fundamentally similar that your comfort (and driving experience) should be primary concerns.

There will be improvements and used car values trend downward - lease if you can, the ride that has the least noticeable character.

If available in Sweden, the venerable Chevy EUV is (currently) priced below the newer offerings, and has an established company supporting it.