Thinking of a very long round-trip road trip - Washington, DC, to Omaha, NE

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by moncureww, Jun 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

So I am taking vacation this summer for a friend's wedding on July 30th in Omaha. I was about to buy plane tickets and then I got this hare-brained idea that maybe it'd be more fun to drive the Mini?

I live in Washington, DC. It would be very adventurous (considering the SE's range), but I was thinking it would be fun to do a round-trip road-trip from DC to Omaha.

There's a few unpredictable stretches between a few cities in Kansas/Missouri/Nebraska, but for the most part there looks like there's pretty good charging infrastructure, and if I plan right it may take a day longer than usual due to charging and taking different roads for charging reasons, but it could be a fun adventure.

Any insights / experience / etc with longer road trips in the Mini SE would be helpful. Am I foolish for thinking this could be possible?

GetOffYourGas, wessy and BackPack like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a book - Blue Highways - suggested reading for Mini owners.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I think it sounds like a great adventure! Not unlike trying to drive Route 66 back before freeways. Although it seems Electrify America has good coverage along I-80 and I-70.

Some advice I can think of:
    1. Don't worry about a timetable, and then the anxiety factor should go way down. If you have to stop to charge for a couple of hours, think of it as part of the fun.
    2. Make sure to stay at motels that offer charging, so you can charge when you've stopped to sleep.
    3. Always have a backup charging plan for each destination, if possible, in case the charger is out of service.
    4. Electricity is everywhere. If you have your Level 1 cable with you (you should), you can charge anywhere.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  5. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

For something that adventurous, I would take a small generator just in case. Oh the humanity, but yeah, I would.

Also, campgrounds have plenty of power and most will either let you charge for free if in need or charge a small fee to do so.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Rather than ever introduce the odor of gasoline into my SE, I'd accept having to call a tow truck to remedy my lack of planning. A generator would also eliminate much of the sense of adventure this magnificent expedition could generate.

GetOffYourGas and moncureww like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

I agree! I've already begun a spreadsheet of level 3 chargers along a number of routes, backup level 2s, alternate routes and charging areas, and I have a friend hosting me for a night in Indianapolis on the way there. The plans are coming together. I'm giving myself 2-3 days to get to Omaha, and 2-3 days to get back. I honestly think I'll make it in two, and I'll stay on the road 12-14 hours a day. It's going to be a long one, but I enjoy driving and think it will be nice to see a lot of the country again. It's been more than 10 years since I've driven cross-country - or even halfway across the country. I'll be doing it alone - and quite frankly I find driving relaxing. Plus I'll get to get a good feel on the limits and range of the car.

GvilleGuy, wessy, CorgiCanoe and 2 others like this.
  9. Brian Beuchaw

Brian Beuchaw Member

This company is creating a charging network across middle America with stations every 50 miles. No idea how far along they are, though.

https://francisenergy.com/

moncureww likes this.
  10. Brian Beuchaw

Brian Beuchaw Member

Great book, but why specifically for MINI owners?

11. wessy and MichaelC like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

May be obvious, but Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is a must-read road trip book.

14. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Mini's are more fun on blue highways, as opposed to Interstates or multi-lane roads.

15. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I’m surprised no one has mentioned it, but look at A Better Route Planner before taking your trip. It may recommend some chargers or routes that you may not have thought of.

Do your planning, take your time, and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

SameGuy likes this.
  16. Brian Beuchaw

Brian Beuchaw Member

True, but the suspension (at least in my SE just on "mid" or whatever the default is) might not be much fun (but better than my 85 CJ-7 would've been!) on those roads. And for an SE, finding charging stations would also not be fun, but aside from those two things, yeah, agreed. :)

17. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

SE suspension doesn't adjust, it's always the same.

18. Brian Beuchaw

Brian Beuchaw Member

Gotcha, I've read the manual, but didn't pay too much attention to exactly what changes in which mode (and I haven't played with the modes myself yet).