Disappointing A/C performance?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CorgiCanoe, Jun 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ketos

Ketos Member

SameGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I have a call scheduled at 9 AM with a local shop, whose website actually sings the praises of ceramic tint. The site says they offer ceramic from 3M, Xpel, and Autobahn, but it appears that they prefer Autobahn.

4. SameGuy

YUL
    Just got a quote from the only Autobahn film installer here. $800 (Canadian, or about $620 US) for Ceramic i3 on the sides and back, and Air Ceramic 80 on the front. He’d like to measure the heat transmission through the pano roof to see if ceramic is necessary; if yes, it’s another $200 (Canadian). I may just stick with the $15 sunroof shades from Amazon.

Rogwp likes this.
  5. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I only do ceramic for heat rejection because I live in a very hot climate. That’s a good price for a tint that includes the windshield.

SameGuy likes this.
  6. SameGuy

YUL
    Everything is relative; when it does get hot here, it’s very hot… for us… ;)

No, seriously, it’s often mid- to upper-80s (and usually sunny) here from late April until late September. We do get into the 90s rather frequently these days as well. I burned my arm on the dashboard in my Crapolla a couple of weeks ago while changing my parking permit.

polyphonic likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

YUL
    Taking cabs in coastal Venezuela and Colombia was an eye-opener. 5% tint all the way around, with about a three inch gun slit across the windshield…

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Upper 80s ºF isn't really enough to cause excessive cabin heating from my experience. You may be able to save yourself money by getting into the habit of doing a 5-10 minute climatization before you leave. Another thing I've started doing this summer in our 90+ ºF temperatures is turn on comfort mode when I shut the car off when I go into stores. Nice and cool when I come back.

Not that I'm discouraging any UV protection, but with an EV you can control climate so easily since the car doesn't have to be running.

SameGuy likes this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    It was 31°C (88°) and sunny when I got to my car after work on Sunday, and my ThermoWorks keychain thermometer never read below 44° (111°) on the drive home, despite my windshield sunshade having been in place with the windows cracked open all day. Solar heating.

11. SameGuy

YUL
    During my dealership ambush today I found out which subcontractor does their tints, and the F&I guy (who had never heard of “ceramic tint”) told me to call them for a quote. It’s a busy shop that deals only with Xpel products and has a 4.9 Google Reviews rating with hundreds of satisfied reviewers. I called for a quote and when the guy found out it was though a dealership, he told me that out of fairness he couldn’t quote me and I should have the dealership call him for a quote for my car with the exact products I want (Prime XR Plus). I’m hating this runaround. :mad:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Stacey4me

Stacey4me New Member

Hi, this may have been mentioned, but I've noticed that if I don't use the Recirculated-air mode the AC definitely does not cool as much. I drive primarily in Mid mode and sometimes in Green and I never feel the car is not getting cool with the AC set to ~70 with Recirculated-air mode activated.

14. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

I live in Pheonix. It was 118 yesterday. It is over 100 like 50 days a year. The A/C works awesome IMHO. Its an EV, so it doesn't work immediately, but within 3 minutes of getting in the car after sitting out all day at the office (ie: over 150 in the car), it is cooling and it will get to 68 without issue.

I do use the max button for first 5 minutes.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  15. LKY GUY

LKY GUY New Member

16. LKY GUY

LKY GUY New Member

FWIW - The A/C on our Kia Soul EV wasn't good. Thought it might be because it was an EV. Asked dealer to check it. Freon was low, now A/C works great. Seems the dealer hadn't checked level on pre-delivery. May, or may not be a factor for you. Good luck and Stay Cool!!

insightman and navguy12 like this.
  17. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I'd imagine anything over 32F is suitable for t-shirt and shorts. I watched my neighbor use an ice chipper with flip flops during a winter thaw...

SameGuy likes this.
  18. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

Random internet guy observation.

To me, the extra clicky is the tell:

With a proper quantity (always by weight) of refrigerant and assuming your evaporator is operating in accordance with manufacturer specifications, there will a charted specification for how often the compressor cycles, based on the ambient air (the hotter the air, the less cycling per minute).

I would have the dealer hook up his ac equipment, run the ac at maximum and note the high side and low side pressures.

My bet is you are somewhat low on refrigerant.

19. I was disappointed with the a/c until I read on this forum to leave the auto button on. Makes a world of difference. I live in Hawaii where it's usually a high in the 80's to low 90's all year so I got my mini windows ceramic tinted, including the windshield. I usually open the windows for the 1st few seconds if heat has built up inside to help the car cool faster. And of course recirculation is more efficient than pulling in fresh air to cool constantly. Lastly, I'm sure you know the a/c doesn't work in green + mode. I've never noticed clicking sounds from inside my car, only outside when charging sometimes.

20. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

I concur with those who find "auto" mode weak, but max a/c more than sufficient.

However, I am less than happy with the climate system, overall. "Auto" should mean that, as I dial down the temperature, the compressor ramps up and/or the fan increases to make things colder, eventually going to full blast on both. The SE gives weak, less than full blast performance, unless I go to the additional step of selecting "max," which is too much for continuous use. So, I'm often chasing the comfort point, even in my top-trim-level SE.

And, I've owned much less expensive cars that decided on their own to engage "recirculate." I don't know why it is a manual function in the SE.

Also, why is there no Synch button/function for the port and starboard temperature adjustment knobs? Making sure the two temperatures are equal (so I don't have to worry about yet another variable in my hunt for a constant, cool cabin temp) is one more manual adjustment I have to make.

I had shorter procedures when my jet was on fire...

MINI SE, TOO HOT
    1. Driving mode - SPORT or MID
    2. Climate mode - AUTO
    3. Fan speed - AS REQUIRED
    4. Recirculation - ON
    5. Port and starboard temperatures - MATCHED
    6. Max AC, if required - ON

navguy12 likes this.
  21. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Anyone set up an Apple shortcut for preconditioning? Would be nice to have Siri cool down the car!

SameGuy likes this.
  22. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

I've been watching my Leaf this week, it runs ~1.5KW for a/c set on either 69 or 70 auto with tint on everything behind the front doors, black interior. When first getting in if it's hot, it will get up to 3.5KWH or so.

23. SameGuy

YUL
    If you have Amazon Echo sunglasses, theoretically you could ask Alexa to do it.