Disappointing A/C performance?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CorgiCanoe, Jun 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CorgiCanoe

CorgiCanoe Member

Apologies if this has been discussed...I searched for a while and couldn't find anything.

The A/C in my SE seems to be rather lackluster and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. Since the first day I picked up my car over a month ago my A/C hasn't seemed very cold. It's "cool" but not "cold." Today was above 90 and sunny here and driving around with the A/C set to 67 I was hot in the car. Later in the day I took a drive in our Rav4 Prime, which also has a heat pump and the difference in the chilliness was stark.

I am the kind of person who is always cold and doesn't usually like blasting A/C, so the seeming underperformance is surprising to me. I also used to sell residential heat pumps, so I am extremely familiar with heat pumps....if one of my or my customer's heat pumps performed like this I would think something was wrong.

It's also extra "clicky" when you listen to it running from the outside. I have listened to @GvilleGuy 's video of his heat pump and I can't decide if it's more clicky than his, I need to listen to his video and then my car one after the other I think. Again, if one of my heat pumps sounded like that I would be concerned, but that's why I sought out that video in the first place.

What have your experiences with the A/C been like?

quietlyspinach and SameGuy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Meaningless interjection: I’ve never felt cold a/c from any of my European cars, while every Japanese car I’ve owned could flash-freeze a whole tuna, even after 10 or 15 years. But I’d be surprised if the ambient temperature in the SE is wildly different from the automatic climate control’s setting. Could it feel anemic because of poor IR rejection of the glass?

Ketos likes this.
  4. Zim

Zim Member

Performs well for me, even last summer with 110F weather. But, we did add ceramic window tint on the 4 + rear window, highly recommend with the limited interior volume Mini SE, a greenhouse on steroids as all 8 window panes (with sunroof) are within reaching distance.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

TsylviaNH and CorgiCanoe like this.
  5. CorgiCanoe

CorgiCanoe Member

Well that's an interesting observation! I've only ever had Japanese cars before.

The glass could be a factor for sure, it's not tinted or anything. Still, the air coming out of the vents doesn't impress when you put your hand up to it.

SameGuy likes this.
  6. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

My car is entirely stock, no window adjustments, and on "auto" mode the AC definitely does NOT cool me down enough on days when the temps are over 90F. However, if I click on the "Max AC" button, it most definitely cools down as cold as any of the cars I've ever owned. I only drive the car around in the normal mode; not sport or green.

I think the default automatic AC behavior is designed to conserve energy when driving around.

When I've been plugged in while charging while doing fast DC charging and I turn on "Activate comfort climate", the AC works quite well, and in fact I think it is stronger than when I'm driving around, but less strong than the "Max AC" setting.

So for me, I have to often toggle the Max AC button on and off when things get really hot while I'm driving. It's a little annoying, but not too big of a deal.

F14Scott, SameGuy and CorgiCanoe like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. acbrown19

acbrown19 New Member

+1
    I’ve owned Mini, BMW & Volvo.
    I’ve also owned Hyundai, Infiniti and Lexus.

A/C is on another level from Asian built cars.

SameGuy likes this.
  9. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

Glad I was able to get the Pano Sunroof delete! I'm going for the ceramic tint as well. Makes a lot of difference here in the desert.

CillaM and SameGuy like this.
  10. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Learned this today myself. First 90F+ day with this car, also first time I’ve ever wanted tint (ceramic for heat rejection.) For me it was the sun baking through the glass and proper film would not doubt help.

11. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Lexus GS/LS AC is like being in a freezer. I took my BMW i3 in for a weak AC complaint and the SA said Lexus uses AC units from the next bigger size class vehicle.

Mini SE AC is still pretty cold imo. Way better than my i3 which would struggle even with generous preconditioning time. Maybe precondition more via the app?

Speaking from the SW USA, tint the car and add reflective shades to the moon roof.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

I’d say in my experience the mini doesn’t try as hard as it maybe should for the desired temperature, but if you crank it to max it’ll get plenty cold.

14. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

FYI, the MINI has a variable speed AC compressor that runs at lower more efficient speeds (less compression) when max cooling is not required. Less compression means the refrigerant is not as cold when expanded so the air isn't as cold either.

This is different than an ICE AC compressor that runs at the engine rpm

The max AC button most likely tells the compressor to run at full speed.

15. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

drdunkyn likes this.
  16. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I commented to my wife yesterday about how the Mini has the best AC of any car I've ever owned. I have 65% tint on the windows but I always do that on my cars.

If it isn't cold enough for you, turn it to 60, max cold, and then adjust the fan to make the temperature what you want. Be sure to use recirculation too when not using max cold.

Lastly, use sport mode. The lower modes will turn off the A/C and I'm not sure if Mid does that too.

17. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

My SE came from the dealer with ceramic window film. I had no idea how much it helped until Minime was recently broken into and burgled. I’ve been driving for a month with a non-tinted driver window and the heat load is excruciating. I’m scheduled for tint match on Tuesday. I can hardly wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

drdunkyn likes this.
  18. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

It's been over 100F in my area the last week...the pre-conditioning makes the car actually cool when I come out of work, and with the all-around ceramic tint including sunroof and windshield I rarely even use the MAX AC. Of course, the tint won't keep the car cooler than the ambient temp but it doesn't turn into the 130+ greenhouse that previous cars in the same situation have. No more coming out to my phone being overheated! The tint is a game-changer and I will get it for any future rides I own!

SameGuy likes this.
  19. SameGuy

YUL
    Grrrrr… Recent Insta DM exchange with my MINI/BMW/RR dealership’s resident (subcontracted) detail shop:

Me: “I’d like an idea on price for a ceramic tint all four sides on a Cooper hardtop plus on its two-panel sunroof. Thinking clear on the windshield, 70 front sides, 30 around the back and on the sunroof.”

Detailer: “You looking for ceramic treatment for windows only ? In the same time you want the tints ?”

Me: “No. I’m looking for the ceramic tint like Xpel Prime XR or 3M Ceramic IR or Autobahn i3. I think they all make a ‘clear’ (like 80+) for windshields.”

D: “About your tints you should call Mini and deal with them about it. The company that we use for tints if I’m not mistaken they are using Xpel prime.”

Grrrr.

The F&I guy still hasn’t returned my calls, and my MA said he’ll get him to answer me (it’s now been two weeks). With delivery estimated somewhere around July 8th, I decided I’m popping in to the dealership tomorrow. It’s way out of my way, in the center of traffic-clogged midtown, but I gotta get this set up.

Grrr.

20. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Find a good indie shop. Even top luxury brands subcontract to the cheapest tint shops. More $ in their pocket.

-Amanda and SameGuy like this.
  21. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

So will echo the se time to about the auto setting being lackluster, I find I have to set the fan speed much higher as it is too conservative. I also turn recirculate on to bring the temperature down quicker. And as we live in Texas we have ceramic tints.

I disagree with the sentiment on Asian car AC being impressive, I’ve always found Japanese cars to be so weak they barely cope. The best has always been US domestic vehicles in my experience. One of the few positive things I have to say about them…

22. SameGuy

YUL
    I’ve been fortunate enough to not own any American-branded cars since I sold my ‘87 YJ Wrangler Laredo in ‘89, but I’ve rented, borrowed and driven plenty. My 2003 Golf CL (base, 5-speed, crank windows!) blew very cold for the four years I owned it. I rarely used the a/c on the smart cabrio, because, well, topless! But it stopped blowing cold within about three years and was replaced front to back under a TSB, and was warm again within two more years. A ‘99 Saturn had mediocre a/c during three mundane years of leasing. Every Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and now Subaru, has been an icebox.

23. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

In the SC summer heat I have not noticed A/C not cooling enough. I had no window tinting part of last summer and didn't notice any issues using Auto A/C. I am usually garage parked to start with, so that might make a difference. I do utilize the awesome feature for turning the fan up while keep the A/C in auto mode. One of my favorite features of the Mini.