2023 Mini Cooper SE Live Journal & Review

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Wreckless117, Jun 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Wreckless117

Wreckless117 Well-Known Member

Continuing my quest to rid this car of non-LED bulbs and improve output, I have replaced the boot light and the glove box light for under $10.

The glove box was super easy as that was just a simple swap. Output and color is perfect.

PXL_20220625_174145507.jpg PXL_20220625_174544539.jpg PXL_20220625_174719653.jpg

The boot light on the other hand was a bit more complicated as I wanted as much directed light as possible since this is not a closed reflector housing (another oversight by manufacturers). Why don't they think we wouldn't want as much light as possible in the boot? Shoot a light on both sides would be preferred!

So I went with an LED board to direct the light one direction to maximize luminosity. Unfortunately this requires a bit of modification to both the LED board and the housing to make it fit, so would not recommend if your not handy, or afraid of having to purchase another housing if you screw up.

I am satisfied with the results.

PXL_20220625_171756075.jpg PXL_20220625_172135381.jpg PXL_20220625_173651754.jpg PXL_20220625_173911970.jpg

Now I just need to figure out a hardwired solution for the charging port....

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I found your incandescent replacements interesting, but I can't wait to see your solution for the charging port. The inadequate charging port illumination is one of the SE's designers' greatest failings. The indicator LED is right there--why not make it serve a dual purpose to facilitate plugging in when it's dark?

drdunkyn likes this.
  4. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Ditto!

5. Wreckless117

I completely agree, I haven't delved too deep into it yet, but is definitely on my priority to-do list. It's super annoying to say the least. I would like to do something that turns on when the door is opened or activated along with the car's courtesy lights (like when unlocking).

A battery powered stick-on solution is just not my style.

6. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Nice Hot bags! For whom do you deliver? I did delivery for years after college, because it was way better money than I could make in my field (as a new hire).

The reverse bulbs are just P21W (1156), right? The glove box is a W5W (194)? And the boot? Also I need to check if the rear fogs are incandescent.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Wreckless117

Yea I do mainly doordash! It's not a bad gig at all, mainly doing it to pay for food and gas, but now mainly just food lol. I enjoy it since I get to just cruise around all day and listen to some tunes. Keeps me busy and something to do when I'm not working on project cars or on the track.

Yep your correct, the boot is the same as the glove box as well. I have not checked out the rear fogs yet as well.

GvilleGuy and SameGuy like this.
  9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Love these mods. Any links to the replacements you found?

I would say, though, that while it seems so obvious to have light on both sides of the boot, brightness isn't necessarily the best choice in all situations. I could see wanting red or maybe green light in the boot to see without ruining your night vision. The scenario that comes to mind is someone hauling a telescope around in their SE for stargazing.

SameGuy likes this.
  10. Wreckless117

I can agree, would not work for every situation, but neither does the stock setup lol.

Here's links to the interior bulbs I used!

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-and-subminiature-bulbs/194-led-bulb-cob-led-t325-miniature-wedge-base-135-lumens/6325/14245/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-and-subminiature-bulbs/921-led-landscape-light-bulb-9-smd-led-disc-miniature-wedge-retrofit-130-lumens/2806/4630/

GvilleGuy, MichaelC, wessy and 2 others like this.
  11. Wreckless117

I've ordered some things to tackle the charge port light! Did a little digging and found some things I think will work perfectly. Also fiqured out how to get into the charge port area and remove the door assembly (literally a pain). Just have to figure out some of the technicals of the wiring (having to reference off of bmw i3 wiring schematics since it's hard to find ones for the mini) and should be good to have a light that operates upon opening the door. No promises if I can make it work yet, but I should be able to have a write up done in about a week or two.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    chcarter, TsylviaNH, wessy and 2 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

If you're wiring something as just on/off with the door, you may want to include an auto-off timer of some sort so the light doesn't stay on the entire time you're charging. Not a huge deal with a little LED though

Since I also don't really like the stick on light, I'm eventually going to try just 3d printing a little mirror to stick over the status light to reflect it back onto the charge port. I think that'll probably be enough light to see without tearing everything apart

insightman likes this.
  14. Wreckless117

The plan is that its going to be wired alongside the existing LED charge status light as it turns on/off based on door position and is also timed (except when plugged in). Basically going for a OEM look and function.

15. Carsten Haase

Please take pictures if you end up tearing it apart!

GvilleGuy and Wreckless117 like this.
  16. ghost

ghost Active Member

I just dipped my chrome grill ring. I should've cut around the outside with a blade b/c when I pulled the tape there were a few spots that I taped too close and it pulled tiny sections off. Had to go and respray those.
    PXL_20220627_173431926.MP.jpg

klocwerk and Wreckless117 like this.
  17. KCMOEV

KCMOEV Member

Where did you get the mini decal with the yellow MINI?

18. Wreckless117

So kind of hit a small road block with the charge light, nothing serious, but not as simple as I was hoping. Original plan was just piggyback a simple 12v LED into part of the status light (the "ready" state) as i thought it would just be a simple 12v RGB setup.

But nooooo, it works on a PWM setup directed from the LIM module located behind the right rear tail light (from my understanding, this unit is central to the charging functions and parameters). Probably works similar to a programmable Arduino board vs a simple 12v circuit. This module is also tied into the charge port door sensor and door/plug locking mechanisms.

Below are the pinouts and a diagram for your entertainment. These were created by a community that was trying to reverse engineer the LIM system to do a retrofit upgrade to their BMW i3 to be able to fast charge (so clearly some information is incorrect, but was helpful to understand the system, so use at your own risk).

Screenshot_20220627-154025.png CCS_setup_LIM-01.png

I am now currently working on plan B, and if successful, should actually be a better and easier solution than my original plan, but a bit more costly (-$10 vs ~$65). Sourcing parts has become a challenge, but if all goes well my order should arrive in a couple weeks.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    wessy likes this.
  19. insightman

Does the RGB LED Stop Button enable i3 owners to halt charging? Why doesn't the SE have one?

20. Carsten Haase

I didn't want to be a downer before but that's exactly what I expected from a modern car haha

Not sure what your plan B is but a light sensitive relay on the existing LED could do the trick (~$12 for 4pc)

21. Wreckless117

I'm not sure if they got it to work or not so I cannot answer to that, but I don't think the SE needs one as I believe we have one integrated into the charging handles. If you just click the unlock lever before unplugging, charging shuts off (at least with both the chargers that came with the car).

Lol, what's funny is I should have known, but was both naive and optimistic that it would be simple.

It's funny how a new car experience (EV in my case) can completely make you forgoe past experience. Like duh, it's still a modern car lol.

22. insightman

You were thinking of this Mini:
    upload_2022-6-27_20-27-30.png

wessy and Wreckless117 like this.