Battery on Mini SE

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Brewer Fan, Jun 15, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

I hear you - I’ll be driving home the short trip from the dealership in sport, via the secondary roads for a few corners and once I get home, BimmerCode-ing it to default to sport

SameGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Same and same! :cool::)

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Now we understand your forum handle, @SameGuy.

GvilleGuy, Rogwp, SameGuy and 2 others like this.
  5. SameGuy

YUL
    Who me? I resemble that remark!

insightman likes this.
  6. BackPack

BackPack Member

I’ve been buying and driving new cars for 30 years. Not once have I followed any break in period on any car. Not once have I had any issues with a car and I keep my cars a long time. I get that many many years ago this was required. Now, it’s like the oil change at 3,000 miles that some dealers still insist you need. I plan on driving it like I stole in on day 1 just like I’ve done with all my new cars.

insightman and SameGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Many cars ago, I asked a dealer about that first mythical oil change, and he told me that the break-in period was no longer necessary. When you get a new car, drive it like you own it!

9. SameGuy

YUL
    Ok I’m not sure our cars get a shakedown test by Lewis Hamilton like each AMG One, but it’s been decades since mainstream European and Japanese production cars have needed a traditional break-in period. CAD-CAM and automation at the factory ensure such precise tolerances and finishing that there’s simply no need.

BackPack likes this.
  10. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

How did the trip go? Are you an excited new SE owner yet?

11. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

My trip yesterday was great….I had stopped once at the Mini Dealership to ‘top off’ battery but I decided I wasn’t patient enough. I did stop at the second stop but I still had 50 miles left and my home was only 25 miles away….I plugged it in for 10 minutes while husband took a pit stop. With the regenerative brakes I arrived home with over 30 miles left. Most of the time I drove in green mode. I switched to green+ several times but in the end I saw that only added 5-8 miles. So all that stressing was not necessary and I did check the grates before leaving dealership and they were solid!

DJCoopster, vader, GvilleGuy and 3 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The SE actually has much longer range than the official rating, it's a happy quirk of the car!

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It's the rare case of a company making EVs promoting range anxiety. MINI would rather quote an easily-attainable, paltry range than have customers become stranded and complain about MINI over-promising. I frequently refer to this YouTube video where an early-adopter achieves 177 miles.

15. vader

vader Well-Known Member

@Brewer Fan, I am guessing you stalked these forums whilst waiting for your car, but in case you didn't, you would see that one of the major complaints, in fact one of the only complaints, is the GOM (Guess 'o' Meter). 30 miles left on the GOM could be as much as 60 miles in the real world. You will get a feeling for it after a while, and you will completely ignore the funny display showing a random number for range. Use the battery percentage as an indicator for range (and the helpful app - which I should really post the link to...). Glad your first trip was a success, and here's to many more! Welcome to the SE club!

insightman, SameGuy and GvilleGuy like this.
  16. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

Not if you put Cross Climate 2 tires on.

17. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol I point out the tires every video in which I see them

18. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

I can only guess they are sponsored by Michelin. Their efficiency is terrible. I can see running those tires in the winter but why compromise an already low range car all summer. Their car shipped with summer tires, put them on. Their original drive from Albuquerque is one of the reasons I decided on my Mini.

I guess if you are trying to be dramatic so you can put your arms in the air on the thumbnail pic and get Ford lightning viewers in the subsequent video, maybe it makes sense.

Zim and SameGuy like this.