Front license plate on your MINI?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by HappyKafka, Jul 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did you see the tow-hook license plate mounting photo @Carsten Haase posted earlier in this thread?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

Here are some photos of my USMillWorks tow hook mount on my R55 Clubman. tempImageBvvLJ7.png tempImage9r3JVV.png IMG_2621.jpg

4. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

I've had 3 new cars including the SE in Cali since 2013, none have had a front license plate. First 2 were BMWs, NEVER had an issue. I see tons of other cars in the Bay Area that lack the from plate. I couldn't catch the dealer before they put one on my SE. I removed it and put in color-matched plugs, there's still a dang divot where another screw marred the surface, but not very noticeable. I wouldn't sweat it without a plate.

5. BackPack

BackPack Member

Thanks for sharing. That actually doesn’t look too bad. I’ve seen tow hook plates on other cars and it looks so unnatural. I guess because it’s not centered. For some reason, this one looks better.

I’ve tried convincing my wife of going with no plate and it’s a no-go. If we were the only ones driving it, she wouldn’t have a problem. With this option I can avoid the holes and I have the option to run without the plate once the kids move on.

6. BackPack

BackPack Member

Yes, I saw that one and didn’t like how off-center it place the plate when mounted.

I now see that the USMillworks version that jwzimm posted is on a Clubman and not an SE. Guess that’s why it looks better since the tow hook is more centered.

I wonder if any of these tow hook mounts stick our far enough that the plate can be rotated 180 degrees so the plate is more centered.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

Well one thing to keep in mind about the USMillWorks one is that you can shift it around quite a bit due to the large array of available mounting holes in the plate support. I have mine shifted as far toward the center of the car as possible which helps with the look I think.

BackPack likes this.
  9. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

Here's with the plugs. You can't even see the partial hole, which speaks to the adaptability of this color.

Attached Files:

turbofuzzy likes this.
  10. Ketos

Ketos Member

I finally received my HOV stickers and license plate wrap this week. @Godfrey - Thank you so much for sending me photos of your LPW. I love the way the LPW looks on my Evie! Definitely worth the money. Mini - Copy.jpg

Yoyo_boba, h-dogg, Godfrey and 4 others like this.
  11. CrazyLegs17

CrazyLegs17 New Member

Where did you elect to place the rear HOV stickers? I put the front ones in the same location as you. I put the rear ones low on the bumper, trying to align the flat part of the sticker with the seam in the black trim around the wheel well.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did your entire license-plate wrap fit on the vertical part of your bumper or is part of it wrapped out of sight?

Yoyo_boba likes this.
  14. Ketos

Ketos Member

No it will not fit completely. I trimmed off 1/8" on top and tucked in about 1/16". I also had to trimmed 3/16" on the bottom.

Texas22Step and insightman like this.
  15. Ketos

Ketos Member

There was not really a good place to put them since they are not symmetrical. But I am enjoying driving solo in the HOV lane!
    Mini2 - Copy.jpg

GvilleGuy and CrazyLegs17 like this.
  16. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

My dealer (schomp) didn’t put the front holder on. I am thankful they didn’t. I ordered a holder that doesn’t drill into the car. Works great.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/2022/

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GvilleGuy likes this.
  17. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

There are two versions available. The one you linked uses the blinder for the front parking sensor and there is another with an extension arm so the front parking sensors are not blocked. I know the extension arm version works for 2022+ with front parking sensors.

Texas22Step, Denise C and GvilleGuy like this.
  18. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

We actually tested before installing securely. I don’t have front parking sensor… not sure if it was missed? I have the 2022 electric edition
    But the front plate holder works wonderfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

19. BackPack

BackPack Member

None of the tow hook versions look right to me on any car. The off centered plate just looks wrong; like it’s not meant to be there. I’ve seen cars in person with the vinyl license plate sticker and they don’t look right either. So my choice is go with the standard plate mount or no plate. If it was just me driving the car, I’d have no problem going with no plate. My kids will also be driving the car and they would not handle it well if they got a ticket for no plate.

I do wish someone like Carbonio made a no drill option for the Mini. I may contact them to find out. They have a great option for Porsches that is centered and quick removal so you can store the plate in the frunk and easily put it on at any time.

SameGuy likes this.
  20. ghost

ghost Active Member

My wife's Tesla M3 came with VHB tape to stick the mount on the front bumper. The mount that came w/ mine didn't have the surface area on the back to do the same. I tried to use my plastic welder to add some area but had trouble getting it to bond properly, so I ended up screwing it in.

21. teslarati97

I keep forgetting that 2022 Electric Collection is Signature Plus trim in USA and Level 3+ internationally. The parking sensors are overly sensitive and it probably a good thing you don't have the Driver Assistance Package.

Anyways, for those with 2022+ Iconic trims get the extension arm version which shifts the license plate about 1 inch to the 10 o'clock position.

Denise C and GvilleGuy like this.
  22. Newbs

Newbs New Member

Aren’t the rear ones supposed to be on the side of the car, not on the bumper?

23. teslarati97

Large decals: Place one decal on each side of the vehicle, on the rear quarter panels behind the wheel wells, with the state seal pointed up.

That is probably the most correct place on the MINI Cooper SE.