New flex charger with 2023 Mini

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by anshulankush, Mar 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I did not get the Flex, but my Level 2 will definitely fit in the boot basement. Not that I would want to lug it around, it's pretty heavy. I do keep the Level 1 in there, just in case.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The size puts the Tesla Mobile Connector back in the running for a portable charger, but it doesn't seem to be available.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did Tesla sell even one of these things? I'm surprised it still appears online.

5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    The wall mount kit from BMW is back-ordered around the world, so rather than pay $60 US (shipped) and wait an indefinite amount of time, I went looking for a local 3D printing shop to build the bracket for me. I found a well-reviewed place 15 miles away, and they accepted the STL files I found on Thingiverse. I asked if they could also build the “wireless charging shelf” that will enable fitting Max-sized phones in the armrest charger, and they said of course. Turnaround for all the parts: five days, total $94 Canadian (~$72 US).

Rogwp likes this.
  6. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Just a heads up that you shouldn't expect much more than a super-toasted phone out of the built-in Qi charger.

My phone fits fine (iPhone 12 Pro), but it's nothing but an oven for it. I'm not sure why they thought it was a good idea to do Qi charging in such a small enclosed space (yes, there's a vent hole, but it's useless), but it doesn't seem to work out very well. I may end up removing the charger entirely if I can so I can at least get some more storage space.

SameGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

A coworker has one (I think it came with the Model 3), she brought it in to let me see it. It's a pretty nice portable L2 charging solution, Tesla plug notwithstanding.

9. insightman

Oh, without looking closely, I assumed you were posting about the vaporware J1772 version.

10. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah I think, like others, the whole point of wireless CarPlay is to leave your mobile device in your pocket, and that’s what I intend to do. I have an iOttie Qi stand in my Crapolla, and not only does my phone overheat any time the sun is out, it barely maintains the charge level I’m at when I cradle the phone. I do have an Anker or Aukey usb c cable and lighter plug in the glovebox and I intend to do the same in the SE, but when I know I’m a bit low and I don’t want the phone sliding around the passenger seat or rattling in a cup holder, at least I’ll be able to toss it in the armrest.

11. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Tesla mobile connector + adapter is probably the way to go if you have plenty of destination chargers.

In the UK there's something like Ubricity where you can charge at the lamp post receptacle (retrofitted) with a Type 2 cable (no power brick).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

I was hoping it would be easy to remove the charger, and that the console would offer more usable space after removing it. This YouTube video shows how to replace the charger in a MINI Cooper. It doesn't appear removing the charger would leave a usable storage compartment. It's difficult to tell on this page which component(s) I would need to create a usable storage compartment after the phone charger was removed.

SameGuy likes this.
  14. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

2023's come with a USB A and USB C port. The C port can do up to 15W charging and works great in my experience, so may not need that 12V lighter plug.

15. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah, I was talking about my 1994 Crapolla 1.6 3-speed with crank windows. :cool:

16. Puppethead

That might be a trim level feature. The 2020/2021 Iconics were the only trim with USB-C.

insightman likes this.
  17. SameGuy

YUL
    I should add that before ordering the Qi “shelf” I was ready to get the Spigen MagSafe cup holder cradle, but quite frankly, I don’t want yet another screen facing me in the MINI. In our 2018 Crosstrek (with wired CarPlay), my phone plugs in and hides in the armrest and I’m fine with that.

drdunkyn likes this.
  18. SameGuy

YUL
    Back to the Flex: I’d just finished adding a brace to the wall cavity beside the new 14-50 receptacle for the Grizzl-E, but the cables on the flex are at either end of the brick, so that becomes unnecessary. I’ll be mounting it sideways like @Torrey — but below the (high-mounted) outlet, and I should gain back a couple of feet lost going from the Grizzl-E’s 24-foot cable to the Flexible charger’s 20.

19. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

Sadly have to agree with entirely. charging barely keeps the phone at its current state, while generating a tremendous amount of heat. While I was happy my 12 Pro fit, after one use I haven't looked back. I removed the Qi charger from our HyHi which completely blocked the great storage under the armrest, there isn't much in the SE armrest, but would be happy to free up a few mLs of storage volume just because! Nothing is perfect!!

20. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

Nice! 3D printing is a hobby for me, I downloaded the files and will print it for when my Mini arrives at the end of the month. Thanks!

21. Puppethead

That's the nature of Qi charging, it's barely good enough to keep up with regular power consumption. It's not just a MINI issue. Phone cases can diminish the effectiveness as well.

22. CorgiCanoe

CorgiCanoe Member

Other comparison photos were recently posted in another thread, but on the subject of the FlexCharger fitting in the boot basement...it fits. (It's in the bag.)
    original_ea41d2d5-9c54-41f8-b103-33bbb728d2bb_PXL_20220615_181037644.jpg

SameGuy and -Amanda like this.
  23. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Boot basement.

TsylviaNH, revorg and CorgiCanoe like this.