Frugal Chrome Delete

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Luis Hoffer, Nov 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Luis Hoffer

Luis Hoffer Member

Hi checking if anyone has pioneered the steps of removing the front chrome trim on a 2022 LCI non-iconic / electric collection SE.

This is the piece I am talking about:
    [​IMG]

My plan is just to remove the trim and have it painted as it seams like it can be removed from the bumper assembly, Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I have a 2021 and changed my SE grill to the S model so I've taken the bumper off. The clips that hold that chrome piece to the bumper cover require removing the entire bumper cover to unclip it. It isn't very hard to do either, but just time consuming.

You'll need a torx head screwdriver to remove the bolts under the hood. I think there are 5 there. This a bolt in the fender well, just above the orange side markers. You'll have to gently pry these pieces off. I managed to just unclip a few and not the entire piece in order to get to these bolts. This is the hardest part of the job but still pretty easy.

There are several 8mm bolts just behind the front lip you have to remove. After that, you just slide the bumper cover forward and it pops off.

On the driver's side, there is a temp sensor attached to the bumper that needs to be unplugged and on the 2021 which have fog lights, you have to unplug these two lights too but the 2022 doesn't have this.

I would put the bumper cover on a large towel so you don't scratch it.

You can now finally see the back of the bumper so you can take a flat head screw driver to unclip the chrome trim piece.

A word of advice, I think spray painting the chrome won't work. I bet it will chip very easily and look way worse than a chrome piece. Use vinyl wrap if you are on a budget or buy the OEM black piece.

These videos helped me when I did the job.

4. Luis Hoffer

Luis Hoffer Member

Thanks for the reply! I also watched those videos and came to the conclusion that I will have to take the front bumper off.

Here is the part number of the grill trim for 2022 LCI if anyone needs it.
    Part Number: 51119450552

Akanaten and CoachCookie like this.
  5. ZachF88

ZachF88 New Member

Did you ever get around to swapping the front grill trim? How was it? My SE 2023 is due in 3 weeks and I am gathering parts to chrome-delete.

6. Luis Hoffer

Luis Hoffer Member

Hi Zach, I never got around to swapping the grill trim. I ended up holding on to it as my car has 85% of the black out treatment and I kinda liked it looking a little different.

7. To remove this ad click here.