Need some advice

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by 23MiniSE, Jun 7, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 23MiniSE

23MiniSE New Member

I need some honest feedback. I’m about to have the installer apply a clear wrap over the hood so I have till 9a tomorrow to give the final word on it. What do you think of these stripes?

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The stripes look nice, but I don't understand. Stripes usually go on top of wrap.

4. 23MiniSE

23MiniSE New Member

I honestly didn’t know there was an order to it. I’d assume that if a rock where to hit that area it would protect the stripe.

5. bfl

bfl Member

I’ll be honest, I’m not a fan of the stripes personally, especially the yellow against the enigmatic black. It may look better in person though.

If you put the stripes over the clear wrap, at least you could probably remove them a lot easier if you decide you don’t like them.

6. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

My stripes have always been under the clear bra, but you can do it either way.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

No. Just no.

Either go with the more traditional MINI dual stripes or a single full length over-the-top stripe.

Personally, I’m not a fan of stripes. Racing stripes on a MINI are akin to stock car stickers on your Malibu.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

BackPack likes this.
  9. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

Agreed, I would not put those under a clear wrap. If you really want stripes, I would get the wrap done without the stripes and do them after so you can either play with a DIY idea or just use traditional Mini stripes. I wasn't sure if I liked stripes but the ones on my Mini grew on me, but they are OEM Mini stripes.

10. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

My buddy has a Cayman R. He got the front wrapped. They took the stripes off. Told him the space between the wrap and stripe while small, was wrong.

11. 23MiniSE

23MiniSE New Member

Thanks everyone for your input. Although I like the look, I decided to take them off. Leaving them on changed the classy look of my Mini to a more sporty one. Therefore I would have to then get larger rims etc to complete the look which I do not want to.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

I like the stripe. Go for it.

To quote my wife - "We are buying a clown car, so lets make it look like a proper clown car?" As far as she is concerned, there is nothing dignified about the look of a Mini.

The shop that did my buddies R told him that the thickness of the stripe will cause something like a bubble because the wrap cannot bend that little bit, and you will see the change. He and his wife had the whole nose on their two Caymans wrapped with Xpel. .

14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My previous MINI was a 2015 Hardtop S I bought used, and it had stripes but no PPF on the font. When I had it put on I was told they had to take the stripes (black with red pinstripes) off. So I did that, and sort of regretted it but never replaced them, and the car was pretty sweet (it was also chip tuned). It did have custom pinstriping around the mirrors and just under the waistline, so it did still have character.

2015HardtopS.jpg

15. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

This is also true if you put the stripes on top, it's just the the stripe will have a small gap underneath where it crosses the PPF. There's really no getting around it unless you wrap the entire hood.

16. abrandt

abrandt Active Member

I'm going to quote your wife to my partner!

Tommm likes this.
  17. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Agreed. But it is a lot less. Also on his R, the stripe is on the bottom of the fender/rocker. So there is no gap like we have on the hood. Unless you to PPF on the whole hood. Then no gap.

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

upload_2022-6-8_21-0-6.png

Akanaten, Yoyo_boba and MichaelC like this.