Anyone come from a mk7/7.5 Golf R?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Wreckless117, Jun 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Wreckless117

Wreckless117 Well-Known Member

So I have a BRG sig on order and supposed to be delivered to dealer in the next week or two (shipped on Olympian highway).

So having a bit of a hard time coming to grips with "maybe" getting rid of/trading in my '19 Golf R and was wondering if anyone else has made the trade or has owned an R previously and what the experience was like with the potential downgrade if you can call it that (I know, apples to oranges).

My R is tuned and such and is just a beast, 3.2s 0-60, sub 12s quarter mile, and baby audi 4 door comfort. Problem is once I get the mini, the R will hardly ever get driven, it barely got driven as it is barely 20k miles in 3 years. Trade-in value is insanely good as well so it makes sense on paper to trade in with sales tax credit, but my heart is having a hard time with it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Ddo you think in a few months you will be able to sell it privately for trade in + sales tax savings? if yes, hold off. Then decide. A friend or relative may want to buy it, and give you right of first refusal in a few years. I sold my daughter's first car, a 2000 323 manual coupe last summer. On a handshake I asked the purchaser to give her right of first refusal if he ever decides to sell it. I wouldnt have gotten that handshake if i traded it in.

-Amanda likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You'll be essentially doubling your 0-60 time going from R to SE. My SE is the quickest car I've ever driven so its acceleration is exhilirating to me. You will also be transitioning away from the drama and sounds of a high-performance ICE. Hopefully, driving by gas stations without having to stop will compensate for the downgrade in performance. I'll be interested to learn how the SE's 0-15 mph acceleration feels to you.

5. Wreckless117

Yea I'm curious too, haven't been able to test drive one and will be my first EV. I'm getting the mini for commute/work so absolute performance isn't necessary but still wanted something fun. Drove an older cooper s with supercharger mods a decade ago and was tons of fun so I'm hoping this will be similar. Looking like I'll be averaging 150 miles per day so the fuel saving are gonna be sweeeet.

Just coming down to decision time on the R and it's hitting the feels more than I expected. The R is just fantastic for an ICE even taking out the higher power levels.

6. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

That Golf R sounds like a beast! I really wanted a MK7 Golf R back in 2016 but learned they eliminated the 2-door, I never got one because I really wanted the 2-door. The Mini SE is nowhere near and will never be a comparison to your Golf R. I have 2 cars, my 2019 Modified Mini Cooper S and it will blow the doors off the JCWs and more so the SE (definitely not your Golf R tho). My analogy for the SE is like an iPad. An iPad can be used for most peoples computing needs but it falls short of being a computer.

The SE can also be used for many things but it falls short on being a car, limited range, no speed performance mods, and some other things people who modify cars can do. But, my other car is a full size lifted truck with 4-doors. It is the perfect polar opposite of the SE. With car/truck prices as they are, I considered selling both and wait it out until life returns to normal. But the SE falls short, I know you can plan routes with charging but it is still way easier with a gas car around. I plan on selling my 2019 Mini but I am keeping my truck for those instances I need to make a trip beyond the SE's range.

If you do not mind planning trips with charging stops (assuming your Golf R is your only vehicle), your decision is more a matter of do you need the Golf R.

I hope this did not come across anti-SE, I have one in transit now and it is my 2nd Mini. My commute to work is only 12 miles and for me it is perfect. Even shuttling the kids around, most things are local. As a car guy that modifies everything I own, my SE will have the only performance mods available, suspension, wheels, and tires. I know I will lose range but for me, it does not matter since I have another car and if we go places as a family, we will take the wife's SUV or my truck. I cannot wait to get my SE as my parts will be waiting at home before my car is at the port in CA.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Wreckless117

Yea the R is actually kinda insane, suprises most v8 muscle cars, especially at the strip, Awd hooks up anytime, anywhere lol. But yea I fiqured the mini wont directly compare. I do have other ICE vehicles for road trips and such so no worries there, it's more of a battle for garage space and actual time to drive and unfortunately the R will be the least used car especially after getting the mini, so it's just really hard justifying keeping it especially with the crazy high resale values... It's really down to want vs need. And need is winning out.

Just more so hoping to get a fraction of the fun out of the mini and enjoy the build quality.

GetOffYourGas and Rogwp like this.
  9. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

Minis are exceptionally fun and I think you would like it if you can get past the idea of modifying it to make it faster. Handling wise, I cannot wait to see what real tires and KW coilovers will do, the SE is heavier than an ICE Mini but better balanced as far as weight distribution. I will miss my manual transmission but the SE is more of a modern electric car toy for me, I really hope I like it as much as I think I will. I also cannot wait to pass gas stations without stopping and I hope I will even drive my truck more. I hardly drive it as it gets a whopping 10.6 MPG. Even the Mini takes over $50 to fill and the truck tank is 2.5X larger.

Idea... Sell the other cars and keep the R.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You may be surprised. After enjoying stepless acceleration from 0 to top speed, you'll see what a crutch a transmission really is. I drove manual transmissions for 50 years before getting my SE and I was surprised I didn't miss the third pedal. Also, I enjoy not needing the second pedal most of the time.

11. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

I saw this YouTube video and the guy said something similar, mentally, he got past it because the SE only has one forward gear, it is not like an automatic transmission that shifts for you. I’ve always had a manual in my fun cars but I always had an automatic in my trucks. I know I will miss it but because it is electric with one gear, I think I will not miss it as much.

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Olibol

Olibol New Member

I’ve not got my mini yet, but amongst other things it is replacing my heavily modified, supercharged mk1 MX5 (Miata). I’ve actually sold the Mazda already, as since we got a Tesla last year I’d barely driven it. I miss it, but only in an emotional sense. The mini is more fun than the Tesla despite being much slower, and will be the first choice for shorter and more spirited drives. I had a mk7 Golf GTE which was a lot slower than your R obviously, but felt a lot closer to the Tesla than the mini in terms of dynamics. Extremely competent but didn’t put the silly grin on my face that the mini and MX5 do.

14. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

My previous car was a 2014 EVO X. It was also tuned and modded. 3" exhaust from the turbo back, intake, intercooler pipes, and custom tune.

I don't miss the EVO because of two different things. The EVO was loud even with a big Cobb muffler. It droned on the interstate at 75 to 80 MPH. It really got better at 85 MPH but then the engine is turning 4K RPM and it is still loud. Plus, I'm speeding enough to draw attention.

The other is the instant torque of the Mini. The EVO was obviously quicker but when you want to go abruptly, the EVO lags. You have to downshift and then wait for the boost. Once you get going, the HP of the EVO was amazing but with the Mini, you instantly go. The power falls off but for around town, the Mini is more fun and feels just as quick.

SameGuy, Wreckless117 and insightman like this.
  15. Wreckless117

That's more what I was hoping to hear. I don't have the too loud issue, exhaust is valved and can turn it up when I want but it's basically stock sound when closed, can cruise for hours and the wife doesn't complain. The DSG gearbox is awesome too so power delivery is really smooth as well, but probably won't compare to the smoothness of the mini. I am getting really curious how the mini feels off the line!!

16. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Go find a used BMW i3 to test drive and if you are lucky, find an I3s which has the same power as the SE. It feels very similar to an SE in terms of power delivery. The i3 is RWD and has very narrow tires so it doesn't handle uneven roads well at all. It also understeers way more than the SE but the power delivery is basically the same.

SameGuy and Wreckless117 like this.
  17. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

As a matter of fact I came from a 2015 MK7 Golf R (DSG). Stage 2 mods, high 11 second 1/4 mile, low 3 second 0-60...Just like you are describing. I had the exact same concerns you did. Heck I had someone knocking at my door waiting to buy the R when the SE showed up but I even told them I wanted to wait a couple of weeks to make sure I was making the right decision. In the end I ended up selling the R and keeping the SE.

Do I miss the acceleration and overall performance? I won't lie I do sometimes. Really though the amount of times I used that power was seldom. The SE is very quick for what it is, handles awesome, and to be honest feels on par or better as far as build quality is concerned. I had a Fiesta ST prior to the R, and the SE is kind of like a nicer version of that car.

I can't tell you you won't regret it, but I can tell you that the SE can be better than the R in many ways. Hope this helps...

Wreckless117 likes this.
  18. Wreckless117

Thanks that helps a lot! I think the biggest thing I'll miss is the power, especially on the highway, literally just dip in a bit and your passing cars like warm butter. At least the SE will help me stay out of trouble lol.

19. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Remember, the SE has the same amount of torque available all the time: at standing still, at 50mph, at 90mph. Obviously you won’t be doing freeway pull races in the SE. But you could.

I’m a big sport compact car fan. Remember the magazine? RIP

I had an EVO8 with full bolt-ons, tuned on E85. Prior to that a Miata with built motor and big turbo. I admit there are times I miss them. But I will say that I enjoy the SE so much more.

You won’t be sorry if you ‘down-grade’ to the SE from the R. I say sell or trade-in.

However, I am questioning your planned daily 150 miles of driving. That will not be enjoyable in the SE, unless there is more to your driving plans that you have not shared. Please enlarge on this aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

SameGuy likes this.
  20. Wreckless117

Oh man I miss that mag :'-)

150 might be exaggerating a bit but I'm usually doing 100-120+miles/day.

Basically, I have semi-"retired" and moved to full/part time food & grocery delivery to take care of day to day expenses. Had some financial investments work out and was literally burned out with the construction gig, and I'm only 33. Can't complain, can work whenever, and is no stress if you make it no stress.

What I'm really excited about is saving about $700/month in fuel. The SE will pay for itself in fuel savings in 3 years including the fed tax credit and then some.

21. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

It is an interesting demographic that previous sport compact car owners like the SE. I bet most Chevy Bolt owners used to own a Prius. LOL

Way before I owned an EVO, I had a Galant VR4. So beat that for old school tuner car. :)

insightman likes this.
  22. Wreckless117

Yea it's about the only EV that's really caught my eye so far that is in the reasonable priced area. Once I commit to go 100% electric I'm probably looking at something like a taycan or the audi etron gt for my long(er) range 4 door.

Had a '96 240sx with a full s14 face swap, RHD conversion, and rb26det swap pushing over 600hp :-D car was wicked fast but darn near undrivable for every day being RHD, let alone wanting to bust the rear loose at literally any speed.

23. callaflatbed

callaflatbed New Member

This is the wrong car for you, sorry. I have owned 3 MQB cars (2x bolted / tuned Mk7 GTI, and an S3 which is a Mk7 R), all 3 with DSG. Spent the last weekend logging about 100 miles in my friend's tuned mk7 R. We currently still have an Evo as the weekend car and I have owned near 30 tuner / performance / higher end sports cars. I love my Mini SE, and it's perfect for my life but this isn't the car you're looking to replace the R with. I also work for an auto manufacturer and drive around in 800-1,100 whp EVs daily. I've got coilovers on the way for my SE, but it's never going to be more than a quick car that can be fun in the canyons.

Additionally, if you don't have 220v/240v charging at home to charge to 100% every night, doing 100 miles in this car is going to be brutal. You are a traffic jam, hot day with AC going, or cold day away (heck, even one errand) away from having to add a charging stop every day. Yes, fast charging is widely available now. The 800v / 900v architecture cars that can accept 300+kw to charge and add 200+ miles in 30 minutes give me no fear to charge daily if need be. But the SE only can accept 50kw max charging.

Lastly, if you don't like it, you will take a huge resale hit as the used buyer cannot recoup the $7,500 credit and will expect to pay well back from the value of the car.

tl;dr: I love the SE, love EVs, but this seems like the wrong fit for you.