Need help deciding

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by zedzag, Jun 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. zedzag

zedzag Member

Cloth/leatherette (grey tweed) vs leatherette?

Salesman pulled a fast one where he switched out my signature plus build (from last week) for a signature 2.0. so the overall build is costing <$1k more inc fees etc. But the new build normally has leatherette and that was previously only available in signature trims.

Which should I choose? Leatherette vs The strange grey cloth/leatherette combo. I'm in Texas if that helps.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

I liked the cloth. My wife didnt. She said if she sits in those seats in a tank top the seat will itch. I had the vinyl in my red one. It is a nice vinyl. I dont think the 500 leather option is significantly better. I would have preferred the gray tweed over the vinyl.

zedzag likes this.
  4. BiggieSmall

BiggieSmall Member

I have black leatherette in a F57 and it's quite nice. Personally I don't like the look of the MINI SE cloth seats...I have cloth seats in my GTI and love those so it's not about the material.

Can't speak to the long term comfort of the MINI cloth seats - but again I do have years of riding on the leatherette and have ZERO complaints.

5. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Is the cloth/leatherette combo even an option still? It's not on the US website (for a Signature 2.0).

6. zedzag

zedzag Member

It isn't online. The re-quote I got from the dealer had it though

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CorgiCanoe

CorgiCanoe Member

I have the grey cloth/leatherette in my SE that I picked up two weeks and I really love it. I love the look of it and the feel is nice. It's not as soft as, say, a Toyota cloth seat, but I don't care because I love the look of it. I actually like that it's not the typical cloth seat, kind of makes it special. I've driven with shorts a few times and the feel of the cloth didn't bother me at all. My one (minor) complaint so far is that dog hair does like to cling to it, but I have a lot of that around so I may be an outlier...(it clings to the seats much less than the trunk material, the Canvasback trunk liner has been crucial.) Seems like it will be ok to clean otherwise.

CoachCookie likes this.
  9. Louis W

Louis W Member

I'm in Texas too. If your seats are exposed to direct sun, the leatherette and leather options may be hotter initially, but remember you can also pre-cool the car.

Personally I don't like cloth. It's harder to clean and when it's dry I'm constantly getting shocked. I chose the cross-punch leather instead. It's essentially vinyl-ized leather, but it's ventilated in the areas that need it.

10. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I love the black pearl cloth seats and think they're the best cloth seats MINI has offered to date. We've had leatherette, leather, and cloth over the years, and for me personally I prefer cloth. They're cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

11. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I love the cloth seats. I have a couple seat covers in case of going to the gym, etc. They feel good and look awesome.

zedzag likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I liked the cloth seats on one of my test drives, but then got into a Premier+ on a sunny, 68° March day, and it was like a warm hug from the Lounge Leather. The leather in the MINI puts the “Leather-2” (PU leather) in sub-E-Class Mercs to shame.

14. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Also in Texas and we have the black leatherette and it’s fine. Easy to clean and doesn’t get that hot but we also don’t have a sunroof and have tints block 96% or something like that of IR which helps and the car hasn’t sat in the sun for more than a couple of hours.

zedzag and SameGuy like this.
  15. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Yeah that’s why I’m nervously willing to risk a fine by getting a nano ceramic film on the windshield, because I park outdoors all day at work, and a (folding or roll-up) reflective solar screen behind the glass can only do so much.

16. zedzag

zedzag Member

Can you link your seat cover?

17. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I bought some cheap covers from Target. They're not appearing on the site right now. I just looked for something waterproof that could be installed and removed with minimal effort. They just hang from the headrest.

zedzag likes this.
  18. ItsH2Os

ItsH2Os New Member

I have leatherette and love it. Looks nice and cleans easily. Cloth will stain, hold odors and sweat and anything else that comes in contact with it. Long term, cloth isn’t a good material to use.