Battery Level Higher Than Target?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Jim Furrer, Jun 3, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Charged my 2022 Niro EV to my prefered 80% using the L2 wall charger in home garage, like always. Received a notice that charging was complete to 80%, so I unplugged and the vehicle sat overnight, no driving. Next morning, heading out, I started up the Niro and received this notice dash display for about ten seconds: "Not charging, battery level higher than target level". Well, off course it wasn't charging, not even plugged in, and message cleared with vehicle driving normally. I'm not really worried but looking to compare notes. Anyone else have this happen? Why now, after eight months of use?

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

I get that message about 50% of the time. It seems to be just a "fluke" - I can never seem to find any rhyme or reason for it.

So far, that's the only quirk I've noticed about this car, but mine's a 2019 so I would have thought that they would've fixed it by now?

Others may be able to explain better what the message is trying to tell you, but it's really nothing to worry about, the message just goes away and you'll see that the car has been charged to the level that you requested.

4. Hi, i get the same message on my 22 Kona, I think its just to tell you the battery is charged to the amount you set and is still not charging to get to your 80% setting

5. IanM

IanM New Member

If set to max 80% and topped up to 80% I suspect that there will be no regeneration until the battery level drops. So the car tells you so.

6. skidad68

skidad68 New Member

I suspect that after charging to 80%, an overnight temperature change or some other factor makes the system think that the battery now has more than 80% charge. Why it feels the need to warn you about this at startup, I'll never know.
    On my 2021, I actually had a no-start condition related to this message. I had to reset the max charge to 100% in order for the vehicle to start. I haven't used the max charge feature since.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I get the same message maybe 1 time every 5 charges. I can see any pattern to it. The message goes way by itself in a minute or so