Where the cheap EVs will come from

Discussion in 'General' started by Paul K, Jun 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

A follower of this site for several years now I have observed that a fair number of the members are in income brackets where they can afford a shiny and new EV almost whenever they want. I congratulate them on their financial success and standing even though I am certainly not among their ranks.

These EVs will end up on the used market. I know that right now things are a little crazy with some Tesla owners being able to sell for more than they paid but this situation is not going to last forever. Ultimately lots of used EVs will enter the market at prices more affordable to the average person. With all the supply chain and chip shortage issues we're probably at least a couple years away from this point but I'm confident we'll get there.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Yes, it will be nice once we get there. But as you said, that is unfortunately a ways off. I look forward to the days when lower priced new EV models become available. That will not happen as long as the chip shortage lasts. Right now, EVs are primarily for the wealthy. Even gas car prices are outrageous. I would have never guessed 5 years ago that the average price of a new car now would be $45,000. I'm glad I got my EVs while deals were still around.

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Cheap EVs will come when consumers are willing to accept a sub-par product.

5. Daniel Kutcher

Daniel Kutcher New Member

Cheap EVs will come from China because no one can beat China at mass production, and they know what they are doing when it comes to EVs specifically

6. How about good old USA?;)
    2023 Chevrolet Bolt EV and EUV Will Start under $30,000 (yahoo.com)

"The 2023 Bolt EV hatchback will start at $26,595 for the 1LT trim, with the 2LT trim coming in at $29,795. That represents a $5900 decline for each model versus 2022. The EUV, meanwhile, will start at $28,195 for the LT and $32,695 for the Premier—$6300 less than the previous year.
    This now makes the Bolt the cheapest EV in America, undercutting the 2023 Nissan Leaf, which starts at $28,425"

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. teslarati97

Now that's something to get behind! Delete the heat pump, switch to passive air cooling for the battery thermal management, increase nickel content for less batteries and you have a price winner! Nissan Leafs are air cooled and they don't seem to have battery fire issues.

DJP likes this.
  9. Daniel Kutcher

I like the way modern Chevy product look, but I have heard nothing good about their reliability. I’m always willing to reassess my opinion of a company, but as of right now I feel wary of GM products.

DJP and bwilson4web like this.
  10. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

Well you hit on the biggest issues for me in vehicle selection which which are reliability and durability. If I were in the market for an ICE car right now I'd probably go with Toyota. It seems the only way to kill one is to drive it off a cliff. This kind of reputation is only earned over a long history of making dependable vehicles. Similarly if you've gotten a reputation for poor quality it will hang on for a long time even if you manage to clean up your act. There are still lots of people that insist that Leaf batteries are no good and will fail early. Nissan really blew it in the PR department with the first Leafs. As a current Leaf owner I can only cite my own experience which is entirely positive.

My next vehicle will likely be my last so I'll be looking very carefully to see whose are holding up the best. We're all different. Being "green" is important to me. A product that has a shortened life span because it's become to expensive or impossible to repair simply isn't as green as one that lasts longer. When a vehicle is used to earn income if it has to go in for repairs you're not earning any money with it. AND if the need for said repairs comes unexpectedly then one is out the revenue from planned work which is where reliability becomes so paramount.

The car business is so frustrating right now. It's always a case of "jam tomorrow but never jam today" or "hurry up and wait".

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Daniel Kutcher

bwilson4web likes this.
  13. teslarati97

You better not be using any ACDelco components then!