POI's in Mini's onboard maps

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Jose Moreira, May 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jose Moreira

Jose Moreira New Member

Hi,

Does anyone know if POI's (more interested in charging stations) on the Mini's onboard maps are "dynamic", i.e., pulled from some database through the mobile connection, or are they "static", i.e., only updated when new maps are installed in the car?

I'm asking such, as it looks that they are "static", what is not a very good solution, as map updates are not so frequent as the availability of new charging stations.

Thanks!!!

idesignstuff likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If MINI wanted us to believe they were as pro-active as possible, we would see frequent notifications about nav updates. I think my nav system has updated 2 or 3 times in the 20 months since my SE was delivered.

Fortunately, there are a couple of apps, http://abetterrouteplanner.com/ and https://www.plugshare.com/ that involve a community of EV drivers to contribute updates. You need such a community not only to learn about new charging stations, but also for updates about charging stations that are out of service.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I think the POIs are static, generally they don't change very frequently. I have gotten quite a few navigation updates, some of them very small. On the other hand, MINI navigation seems fairly good about road construction, so maybe there is a dynamic element.

MINI navigation seems pretty current on charging locations, but these days they are changing quite rapidly compared to other POIs. I always check PlugShare, but I know of some stations even PlugShare doesn't know about yet.

insightman likes this.
  5. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Accuracy and data updates very much dependent on your location.

There are chargers around me that have been here for years that don't show up, construction and road closures are never accurate, and requesting navigation to local businesses frequently tries to send me to another state...

6. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Way Upstate New York seems to be like that for me too, even on Goog Maps and Waze.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

If these are public stations, this sounds like an opportunity for you to contribute to PlugShare! Take a pic and add the station for the next user.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

MichaelC likes this.
  9. Jose Moreira

Jose Moreira New Member

That will not work in the integrated car's navigation system and I really do not fancy iPhone, like so, I'm stuck as the car does not have Android Auto.

Of course that I would say that, automobile OEM's should ditch onboard navigation systems, and prefer to have both Car Play and Android Auto, as both Apple Maps ands Google Maps are updated quite more frequently than onboard navigation systems.

GetOffYourGas and idesignstuff like this.
  10. Same story here! To demand Android Auto integration, I've:
    • called the Mini helpdesk
    • sent in a chat IM
    • emails to
      • BMW
      • Mini
    The hardware is there if they can do CarPlay, and BMW has the integrations already.
    It's a matter of prioritizing the effort to roll it out to us.

Send in your requests!

11. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I've said it before (and I'm a CarPlay user) - it is a little comical and embarrassing that a company as large as BMW/Mini has not rolled out Android Auto support yet.

CorgiCanoe and idesignstuff like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

BMW has offered a limited (high-end) version of Android Auto for years, but never deemed little brother MINI Cooper deserving of this privilege. Great Wall Motor's Ora Good Cat offers Android Auto so I expect the 2024 MINI Cooper SE will, too.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  14. Jose Moreira

Jose Moreira New Member

I've tried all of those communication channels before for several requests/issues, but either I get no feedback for improvement proposals or I don't get answers for the issues (I've now two open cases with them, for more than 5 months),i.e., not at least with the channels that we have available here in Norway.

By any chance, does any one has at least an e-mail contact for international support?

just to try it and see if the problem is generic for all local BMW/MINI support services for each country, or just localized to Norway (I send my communications with BMW/MINI support in Norway, with copy to UK, Germany and USA support services, but I also never received any answer/contact from those countries.

15. Joe c

Joe c Member

As far as I know, the Mini SE has been stuck with idrive 6 (only carplay no android auto) and not moved to idrive 7 when BMW upgraded their vehicles to idrive 7 in 2020. Idrive 7 supports android auto, idrive 6 does not. So mini would have to change the infotainment to idrive 7 to make it compatible with Android auto. I bet they figured that since 2024 was around the corner they would just wait until the new car was out.

GvilleGuy and insightman like this.
  16. This makes me sad.
    I currently drive an 11 year old Mazda3 that will have similar android connectivity to the 2023 SE I have on order.
    There will be lots that is better, but this lack of integration is a big bummer.