Vanity License Plates for Electric MINI Coopers

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by insightman, Sep 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Virginia allows 7 letters AND a hyphen? Michigan stops at 7 letters and, to my disappointment, 6 larger letters for the just-released retro "Water-Winter Wonderland" plate I remember from my youth--so my SE's 7-letter ELEKTRO text is a no-go.

MINI-ION reminds me of our Honda Clarity PHEV's plate, IONIZER.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Minnesota requires front plates, it's just not an issue here (and yes you will get ticketed for not having one). Every car has a front plate holder. No need to sweat the drilled holes since the plate holder is permanent.

4. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Yea, Virginia can do up to 7 and a hyphen (has to be hyphen, can’t do just 8 characters) on some plates. Most of the more fun EV oroented plates are gone though so I’m trying to be a bit more creative.

5. I only put about ten 1" pieces on the between the bumper and the plate. With the plate being on 100% off the time when I'm driving, all it does is catch some small pieces of road dirt and and adding the edges of the magnet but not on the paint. So I clean that off whenever I'm washing the car. I'll try to get some pictures of the install and start a new thread when I do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

insightman likes this.
  6. ghost

ghost Active Member

My plate came in after 4 months

Attached Files:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mini SE on order. Late June production guess. I've had this plate since 2012.
    X-Gas.JPG

Denise C, wessy, F14Scott and 5 others like this.
  9. Zythryn

Zythryn New Member

One of my previous favorites was 00FF00. In two years of driving around with that, 3 people recognized it for what it was.
    My favorite of all time, which is owned by a friend of mine, is DISRUPT.

Qisl likes this.
  10. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    88096EAA-3AF3-4B47-9551-A22A3E587F06.jpeg

;):cool:

F14Scott likes this.
  11. SameGuy

YUL
    Quoting from the way back machine, but same story here. We’ve had vanity plates up here for only a few years, and “green” ZEV plates just a bit longer. I’ll need to get my new ZEV plate first (should already be on the car went I take delivery), then order my first vanity plate — something I never thought I’d do. But only getting it if the one I want is still available. I’ll let you know what it is when I order. ;)

wessy and Puppethead like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

I hope you're secret plate doesn't get snapped up before you can order it. Because vanity plates are relatively new in YUL, you're more likely to get the one you want.

After ordering my SE, I was checking the Secretary of State website almost as often as I was checking My Garage to determine the progress of my SE. Like you, I was worried the license plate I wanted would be taken before I had the necessary paperwork to order it. Fortunately, my efforts to cloud the minds of Michigan Tesla owners were successful and none of them took ELEKTRO before I could get it.

wessy and SameGuy like this.
  14. endquote

endquote Active Member

BRG?

I wanted to get "000000" or "OOOOOO" for mine, but the CA DMV site errored out when I tried. Not allowed I guess.

Still haven't come up with anything that I like that's available. "DRK NRG" has been my best idea so far.

tesrivmini likes this.
  15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I may have posted this before, but obligatory XKCD:

[​IMG]

david9999999, SameGuy, wessy and 2 others like this.
  16. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

True. Minis, like all cars, have gotten rather bloated…

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

17. SameGuy

YUL
    Omigosh I didn’t realize I can order ahead of getting the car. It’ll be delivered with an actual EV (“green”) rear tag, then I go online to activate the personalized plate and put it on the car. I went through the ordering process, and it succeeded! It’ll still need to be approved by the “ethics committee” (???) to make sure it meets language and taste guidelines, but it seems my choice is available, however improbable I thought it would be. I’m sitting here giggling.

david9999999, wessy, Rogwp and 2 others like this.
  18. Unfortunately, Illinois requires EV plates, but does not allow personalization. There's a bill in the works to change that, but obviously low priority. Hmph.

19. insightman

So Illinois EV owners not only have to pay $100 extra for their plates, but the plate has to end in "EL" and they can't get personalized plates? I can't understand the purpose of special EV plates (although they'll prevent catalytic-converter thieves from wasting their time under your car).

Do the EL plates give you access to HOV lanes without having passengers?

I pay extra for my EV plate (no front plate) in Michigan, but my plate doesn't have to identify my SE as an EV (my ELEKTRO vanity plate takes care of that). Does Illinois hate EVs?

20. I don't mind paying the extra, as I won't be paying state tax on gas that helps to improve the roads. But I am a bit annoyed about not being able to personalize.

As for HOV lanes, I have no idea. I live nowhere near any, so I've never looked into it. Illinois is actually moving in the right direction with EVs, but they're behind the power curve (see what I did there ;) .... )

wessy likes this.
  21. insightman

If not for HOV purposes, what is the reason for special EV plates? As you intimated, the Illinois legislature's bill SB3189 to allow personalized EV plates has died on the vine.

22. SameGuy

YUL
    Weird that it needs to be a legislative change rather than an initiative within the ILDOT’s purview.

23. SameGuy

YUL
    Ummmm, so I’m 12 years old, apparently. I just got an email that my selection was approved and I should be getting the plate by mail in a few weeks. I can’t believe nobody in this province snapped it up — especially since it seems like every second person in the anglo suburbs around me drives a Tesla or Korean EV. But yes, I’m 12 and I’ve been giggling for over a week.
    F93A81C5-8119-4774-A13E-8641676CD0D6.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022