Getting crazy driving range from my 2022 Niro EV.

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Rick Cormier, May 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Rick Cormier

Rick Cormier New Member

Kia originally said that the Niro EV would get 280 miles per charge. Then the EPA tested it and said its range was 236.

Now, we've been loving our 2022 Niro EV. We have even learned to slow our driving down (to the posted speed limits! LOL) We make a game out of keeping the economy mode at above 96%.

But every time we recharged our car, its estimated range increased. I even compared it to our actual mileage to confirm its estimates.

Kia recommended level two charging at 80% normally, but then to 100% once per month.

The last time I charged the car to 80% with the level 2 charger in our garage, it estimated that I had a range of 280 miles. This weekend, I gave it a 100% charge and it estimated that I have a range of 318 miles!

How is that possible?

Robert Bratton and LegoZ like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. StuartE

StuartE New Member

The range estimation algorithm considers consumption based on how the vehicle is driven. If the battery is at room temperature and the car is driven in an economical manner (few hills and highways), you may see it go even higher. In the early days of our 2020 eNiro, it was common to see range well over 500km (310 miles), and sometimes as high as 540km.

4. Any trip that gives you 4.7 miles per kWh would give you a guess a meter range of 300 miles, if you kept going. one of my trips was 190 @ 5.1 miles per kWh, which would give one 326 miles.
    In terms of averages on a long trip. leaving at 100% and charging at 15% give a realistic driving range 0f 231 miles. Then charge to 70%, and that gives you another 149 miles on range. Total trip is 380 miles with maybe a 40 minutes charging stop.

5. I think the main factor in the increase in mileage is the increase in temperature at this time of year. The batteries may also be able to hold a larger charge as they are run for a few cycles. I'm glad you are lovin' your Niro EV.

6. Northern Lights articulates my Niro EV experience : ambient temperature makes far more difference than other factors on my daily drive.

This time of year (neither cabin heat nor Airconditiong) I am presented with a range above 300 miles on a full charge.

My power consumption has dropped as low as 6 mi/kWh - mostly under 45 mph on flat ground, near Sea Level.

It becomes an intriguing challenge, "Can I squeeze out more?"

Rick Cormier likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. This was last summer at 100% charge. I normally charge 80% and get about 330 in warm weather. During the colder months the estimated range drops about 8 to 10 percent.

Rick Cormier likes this.
  9. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

What were the driving conditions and speeds you were going? 6.4 mi/kWh is pretty darn impressive! That is 215 mpge

10. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

That's even better than a Tesla Model Y SR with 3.8mi/kWh! Even IONIQ5 can only manage 3.3mi/kWh.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. First, my EV is my daily driver, so the mileage is nearly all on suburban streets with 35 or 45 MPH speed limits which I observe. [The police are pretty observant around here.] In other words normal errands and no freeways. I'm retired so no commutes. I've had the car for over two years, but only put about 2500 miles on it a year. All my DD's since 2004 were hybrids or plug-ins so I do know how to drive one. [two Prius, a Ford C-Max, and a Volt.] I could get 30+ miles EV on the C-Max and eighty-five on the Volt in warm weather. On the Nero I charge 80% mostly and don't get under 150 miles estimated to protect the battery, so I can't verify the EV range shown. However judging from my miles driven, it seems pretty accurate.

Also, since 2002 I have had four Corvettes, two AMG's, Two BMW Z4's, and three Jag F-Types, all convertibles two seaters as weekend or fun cars. If I'm going any distance and the weather's decent, I'll drive my current Z4. The electric motor in the Nero doesn't care if I don't get it warmed up, but the others do.

Oddly enough, the only service problem I've had with any of the cars was a new water pump on the 2004 Prius at 31K.

Daniel Hall and LegoZ like this.
  13. I agree with StuartE and others, GOM mileage based on recent consumption (and driving mode, aircon etc). I think that the recent consumption figure used in the calculation is the average consumption reported on the dash: (In the example above posted by O'Dell with a range of 404m @ 100% charge; 64kWh x 6.4 m/kWh = 409 miles! I guess 5 miles might have been taken off because the headlights were on?). It is possible to get get crazy estimates as the average consumption figure can be user reset and then either: a) drive a few steady miles at say 30mph or b) drive up a very steep hill fully loaded in sport mode.
    When I drive carefully and not go above 50 or 60mph I easily get 300 to 320 mile range. Incidentally, I reset my average consumption figure at the start of each month. Since owning my Niro my average consumption figures are:
    Dec 2021: 799.8 miles @3.8
    Jan 2022: 623.0 miles @3.9
    Feb 2022: 686.6 miles @4.5
    Mar 2022: 846.9 miles @4.6
    Apr 2022: 509.6 miles @4.6
    May 2022: 1015.9 miles @5.0
    From these figures it can seen that temperature (and hence amount of aircon/heating/defrosting used) affects my average consumption.

Rick Cormier likes this.
  14. Not only does the outside air temp effect range but if you have the cabin climate control set to auto you will see the range go up and down as you adjust the cabin temp. It recalculates on the fly

Rick Cormier likes this.
  15. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Active Member

Phoenix AZ, Pretty much since i bought the thing (2020 Niro, purchased used w/327 miles on the odometer) I've averaged 4.3-4.7 mi/km. Until this past week. Daily commute is 10 mi each way, surface streets, max speed <50mph. On the way in (downhillish) depending on traffic/lights 4.5-5.1, and on the way back 4.0-4.5. Now the daytime temps are hitting 110, and I've dropped dramatically to around 3.5. I see reasonable 4.2's in the AM (current trip @ 89F 0700 this morning), going back at 1630-1700, Climate at 78F, I watch it slowly creep up from 2.0 to maybe 3.0 by the time I get home. it seems ~100F is a 'breaking point' in the curve. Above that the juice used cooling down the stupid black interior would seem to eat quite deeply into the efficiency number. I left very late Saturday night around 10pm, outside was 100F, no sun, trip home showed 4.0. So the initial cooldown from 115 or so in the cabin to something resembling 80 is a big kick in the teeth. Effing black interior, is going to get re-upholstered, into something different, and I need to tint the windows.

16. Rick Cormier

Rick Cormier New Member

JULY 2022 UPDATE: It was time to charge to 100% again. The Niro EV showed a range of 323 miles! We drove 8 miles before I got home and took this photo...
    P1190273.jpg

17. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

Yep, I think the EPA estimates can easily be exceeded with careful driving...

18. I'm in a 2019 with Cold Weather package 1.0 (resistive heater rather than heat pump). I take the range projections with a grain of salt.

A more accurate indication of variable "capacity" is measured kwH/mile traveled. This time of year, my consumption drops into the high 5 Miles per kWh used. The *best* I have managed was a full day at 6.2 miles per kWh, last Summer.

As mentioned above the single greatest predictor of my range is ambient temperature.

19. 2022_Niro_EV

2022_Niro_EV New Member

20220711_002345.jpg Current range, 360 miles.

20. I think the highest I’ve seen my 2019 estimated range is 310. But like many of the others, I rarely charge about 80%. I think the most I’ve seen at 80% was 248.

21. 2022_Niro_EV

2022_Niro_EV New Member

Screenshot_20220721-235422_Kia Access~2.jpg My Niro EV sbows 380 miles. It is not by luck, my three previous cars were all Priuses , driven over 16 years covering 450,000 miles. I tried to put that driving time to good use to maximize mpg. The same principles that were good for the Prius apply to the Niro EV as well.

Daniel Hall likes this.