Battery cost?

Discussion in 'F-150 Lightning' started by Mecomite, May 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mecomite

Mecomite New Member

I was told that when the (2)Lightning battery cells no longer hold a Charge and are ready for replacement that I will need to fork up $39,000. If this is true, this is really a throw away truck.
    Nobody will buy a 8-10 year old truck If They have to drop $39,000 into it and I surely won't get anything on a trade in. Is $39,000 the actual replacement cost?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KENNY

KENNY New Member

Nobody puts new batteries in EVs unless it’s under warranty. Once your EV no longer has the range you need, you merely sell it and buy another EV. Any new EV today comes with a battery that lasts the lifetime on the vehicle. It just loses range over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Cindy B and RLXXI like this.
  4. Mecomite

Mecomite New Member

I understand the warranty on the battery is 8 years or 100,000 miles. What about after that period? I put 100,000 miles on my vehicles in about 5 years. Looks like I will have to set aside $39,000 for a new battery because only an idiot would buy a used truck that needs a $39,000 battery when the truck is anywhere near the end of warranty

5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

You are assuming that the battery is completely dead. If the warranty states that the battery will have 70% of it's original capacity at 8 years or 100,000 miles, then the truck still has value in the used truck market.

The only time you would have to shell out $39,000 after the warranty period is if the battery completely failed either by an internal short circuit or piercing the battery pack. At this point, we don't know how often this will happen since the battery powered truck hasn't been on the road for 15 years or more.

Note that the battery manufactures have done cycle testing and have made improvements to prevent short circuits from forming.

Ford warranty

As is the case with all batteries, the high voltage lithium-ion battery capacity will decrease over time and with use. While gradual capacity loss with time and use is considered normal wear and tear, Ford Motor Company warrants the high voltage battery against excessive capacity loss for a period of 8 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first. If an authorized EV Certified Ford Dealer determines that the battery capacity is less than 70 percent of the high voltage battery’s beginning of life capacity, this level of capacity loss is considered excessive. The measurement method used to determine the high voltage battery capacity, and the decision of whether to repair, replace, or provide reconditioned or remanufactured parts, and the condition of any such replaced, reconditioned or remanufactured parts, are at the sole discretion of Ford Motor Company.

RLXXI likes this.
  6. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

EV batteries typically don’t just die like that, they degrade over time and actually degrade more slowly as time passes. After the warranty expires you may be looking at reduced range but the EV should still be usable for decades. By the time the F150L battery warranty expires there should also be plenty of repair and aftermarket solutions for the battery.

I have to say that this topic has been heavily discussed in the EV community but your opinion appears pretty narrow minded. It sounds like you’re trying to convince yourself and others not to buy EVs without any basis in reality or fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Greg DoClose, Kirk, Cindy B and 3 others like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

There's also no way to know what the cost of replacement batteries will be in 10 years.

Kirk, Cindy B, navguy12 and 4 others like this.
  9. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

The increased nickel content of NCM90 from SK Innovation will probably degrade faster than NCM811 or LG Chem's NCMA ultium battery. Not a big deal if you don't plan on keeping the F-150 lightning for a long time. Even at 70% capacity it should be enough to power your home for days!

10. NRH

NRH Active Member

Concluding that you'll need to replace the traction battery in a truck at the end of the warranty is like concluding that you'll need to replace the engine in a truck at the end of a warranty. It's nonsense. The warranty is not the thing keeping your car running. Do engines occasionally need replaced in old cars? Yeah. And when they do, you don't go to the ford dealer and put in a brand new engine. You get a rebuild, or put a used one in. Some EVs might need that at some point in their long lives. And when they do, owners might decide to get a rebuilt battery, or a salvaged battery out of a totaled EV.

EVs have been on the road in substantial numbers for many years now, and while we're still learning more, it's become fairly clear that the current generation of battery technology does not suffer much degradation at all. Single-digit percentages over 50 or 100K. Even if your $55,000 vehicle lost 10% of its range over 10 years, while you put 150,000 miles on it (at substantial savings compared to a gas vehicle, mind you) you'd still be left with a truck that gets over 200 miles (standard range). Will it sell for $55,000 at that point? Of course not. No 10 year old truck with 150,000 miles gets new truck prices. Will someone give you $20,000? Heck, I probably would!

11. John McGrath

John McGrath New Member

And I question that a new battery would cost $39k today. What’s the source for that?

Greg DoClose likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. larsamike

larsamike New Member

Do you believe that fud nonsense...lol...

14. Cindy B

Cindy B Member

I have to agree with Texas Niro on Mecomite's post. This is a suspiciously negative and misleading post and is showing up three times in a row in my feed. I haven't seen that before. As others have already commented, the batteries in EVs are looking more and more like they are going to last indefinitely albeit with slowly declining performance. Just the opposite of what Mecomite is implying.

RLXXI, Greg DoClose and Kirk like this.
  15. JONATHAN BARTON

JONATHAN BARTON New Member

Most EV batteries are good for about 15 years before they lose a significant around 15% of their capacity. You are worrying about nothing

16. Ties to the petroleum industry? I get this kind of stuff all the time from some of my friends sending me hack jobs off the "internet". There is a concerted push to tell everyone EVs cannot work and will never save anyone anything. The stories are terribly full of holes, easy to spot and debunk. Just a grain of truth that gets extrapolated and twisted most times. I think it is our job to calmly and accurately try to reply and correct where we can.

RLXXI and JONATHAN BARTON like this.