My 2021 MINI SE .... the project has started....

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Tifosi, Mar 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

Like I said, it's a work in progress. Could be coding, could be wiring, could be both. Either way I think in the end it will be a simple solution.

I'll see what I can do for a video...Basically on a US car the entire T section is your brake and flasher. In the UK (and other countries) the vertical portion is brake and horizontal is flasher.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. endquote

endquote Active Member

Installed the tail lights and fog lights today.

IMG_2237.jpeg

Tail lights ordered from ebay, used this killallchrome video for tips. What arrived was "VLAND YAB-MN-0328". Two things that were surprising is an extra wire on the back (see attachment) and that they came with their own trim pieces.

IMG_2234.jpeg IMG_2236.jpeg

Here's a video comparing them with OEM -- "VLAND" is on the left.

Fog lights also ordered from ebay and were much easier to install than expected. I removed the outermost screws from the bumper and was able to reach in to press the outermost release lever on the lights, then push them out from inside.

Still kinda hate the "e" badge... might dip or remove.

SE_PDX, Yoyo_boba, h-dogg and 5 others like this.
  4. ghost

ghost Active Member

I might remove my e badge, too. I think yours looks good. I plastidipped mine, but I think I have too much yellow going on in the back.
    PXL_20220507_175256433.MP.jpg

h-dogg and endquote like this.
  5. h-dogg

h-dogg Member

Nice!! Wow, you are so close the right side wall..

endquote likes this.
  6. endquote

endquote Active Member

Yes, my parking space is about the exact width of the car. I shift a few inches over if I'm charging. It's a whole thing.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CoachCookie

Tail lights look awesome! Have to know though, how do they function?? Mine function different than a US spec JCW, so it's not a standard US wiring thing. Check out the thread on minif56.com that I linked to earlier. The more input we get the better!

Also, definitely remove that e badge it's quite the eyesore. I removed mine the second I pulled into the garage!

SameGuy likes this.
  9. endquote

endquote Active Member

You can see in the video above. The center bar does not light up.

I'm also following that minif56 thread, hopefully it gets figured out.

I also asked the seller if they had any tips -- haven't heard back yet (China time delays). Perhaps those who have purchased could ask their sellers about it.

SameGuy likes this.
  10. CoachCookie

Sorry didn't realize there was a video. That gets blocked at my work...So yours function how I would expect them to. For some reason mine light up the UJ portion for break/signal as well. Did you look to see how many wires are running to your connector?

Anywho, I did reach out to the seller for mine but so far no luck. Hope you hear something back!

11. endquote

endquote Active Member

I see five wires going into the connector, photo attached. endquote-connector.jpeg

Ideally it would look like this killallchrome install, but I don't get the center bar or the pulsing animations.

However mine may not even be the same, I do spot some differences in the rear when comparing the two. endquote-rear.jpeg killallchrome-rear.png

However if I zoom-and-enhance on their video, I think I also see five wires. killallchrome-connector1.png killallchrome-connector2.png

Maybe we could ask them for help.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CoachCookie

So we have the same 5 wires populated then.

Is that two separate wires coming out of the back of the tail light, or a jumper with a resistor in it?

Definitely hard to tell in that video if there's 5 or 6 wires. I'll see if I can send them an email here in a bit or tomorrow and see if there's any insight they can provide.

endquote likes this.
  14. CoachCookie

Also, just to add to it, mine function exactly as the ones in the video you linked except mine flash the same as what lights up for the brake. So it's like I need a wire to go separately to the respective pin that lights up the horizontal amber light (which may already be there), and then also some coding to separate the signal so that the flasher is different than brake.

15. endquote

endquote Active Member

Completed the last tweaks.

Removed "e" badge from the back.
    Returned "s" badges to yellow, removed the previous Etsy sticker.
    Tinted the side marker lights, thanks to Vinyl Styles.

If real smoked marker lights appear, or if @CoachCookie figures out how to get the tail lights fully functional, I'd try those mods. But aside from that I think I'm through the list.

IMG_2276.jpeg IMG_2277.jpeg

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You've done a wonderful job at making your black SE blacker. Can you make the ultimate sacrifice and forsake the HOV lane?

17. endquote

endquote Active Member

Easily, the HOV stickers are on magnets! They were just on for the drive back from the wrap shop.

ghost and insightman like this.
  18. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Will you be upgrading to black wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

19. endquote

endquote Active Member

Nah, I like having at least one distinctive thing other than the black.

I could cover the yellow edges with Wheel Bands, which might look cool.

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I love how you've gone over to the dark side, but totally agree with your decision to keep the Power Spokes. They become an even more prominent styling element contrasted with your Stygian vehicle. I like how the circumferential (I looked it up--it's a real word) Energetic yellow stripe looks with your car and applaud your return to Energetic Yellow for the "S" emblems. I think these touches make your SE look even blacker.

Every time I see photos of your gorgeous, clean, black SE I chuckle, remembering something I read about black cars on one of these forums: "Black is not a color, it's a lifestyle."

endquote likes this.
  21. CoachCookie

Looking real good! side markers look great!

Admittedly have not had any time to mess with the tail lights lately. We'll get there!

22. Rongl

Rongl Member

Are those cooper letters and front back badge gloss, where did you buy them.
    Just ordered the light rings front back as you showed from Amazon. Looks like they have a good fit.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  23. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Same. With the black rook and mirrors, and Island Blue below, I want to live with the bright belt line a while and decide if I like the way it delineates the greenhouse from the body. How much is the OE belt line kit from the parts department?