USB ports?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Ericwc, May 10, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ericwc

Ericwc New Member

So I am trying to patently wait for my 2023 mini se, it hit the paint booth today. But one thing I can't remember is how many and what types of USB ports it has. Don't ask why this question has popped into my head and is now bugging be but maybe the waiting is finally getting to me.

Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. endquote

endquote Active Member

There is one USB-C and one USB-A port in my 2022.

Ericwc likes this.
  4. CooperDeux

CooperDeux New Member

I have a 2022 signature (base) model and it has one USB-A port. There is a cigarette-type power port in front and in back.

Ericwc likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In 2021, only the Iconic trim level included the more powerful USB-C port. I assume that hasn't changed.

Ericwc likes this.
  6. RunOnE

RunOnE Member

The USB-A charger is pretty pathetic. I guess I’ll plug a dual charger into the cig lighter. I’m not sure if airplay works over USB, because mine always connects via WiFi. I actually prefer wired CarPlay I think.

Ericwc likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ericwc

Ericwc New Member

Thanks all, I'm getting the base model so sounds like its going to be just one USB-A

9. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

Don't feel bad. I have the USB-C port and I've plugged a 12V charger in the cigarette lighter port directly above it and it's much better for charging my phone. It's high enough that it's not terribly visible either.

10. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Why do you need to charge your phone in an SE? It isn't like you are driving on long road trips and need to actually charge the phone in the car.

I have a tiny 64GB USB plugged in with a bunch of music on it. I don't know what else is practical to use the USB port for.

CoachCookie likes this.
  11. sousvide

sousvide Member

I use my phone all day for work and would like to get some charge while I'm driving. Wireless CarPlay also drains the battery when you're using any of the nav apps and steaming any audio. I've been taking my SE on a few long road trips this past month on weekends so it would be nice to stay topped off charging through the USB.

I thought it was just me that the USB-A doesn't give any charge at all and heats up my phone. Our past 2015 Mini Cooper didn't have this issue with charging through the USB-A but we didn't have Wireless CarPlay or streamed via bluetooth.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I never use navigation and I have an android phone. I don't stream audio either. I guess I'm just an old guy. :)

14. quietlyspinach

Whenever anyone in my family gets into my car to go someplace, inevitably someone says "Oh my gosh my phone is almost dead. Can I plug in?" This is when having the fastest possible 12V charger is beneficial. While we then drive 30 minutes to a restaurant, I can get a phone that is almost dead to over 50% charge which makes it usable for the evening while we're out and about.

Louis W, SameGuy and Ericwc like this.
  15. quietlyspinach

I'm also an old guy! Who drives younger people around a lot! :)

SameGuy likes this.
  16. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I guess I'm almost old. I prefer Android, I don't stream, but I do find the navigation useful (but a bit aggravating - "she" never picks ther outes I would have). I also prefer listening to NPR while driving (HD2 has more music).