Best tint & methods to cut down on UV and heat?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by moncureww, May 10, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

Before ordering my Mini, I've always owned/kept cars that are 10+ years old, and one of the first things that I notice that starts happening over time is brittle plastics, failed micro-electronics, etc, usually due to long-term exposure to UV and especially high heat conditions on the interior during mid-Atlantic summers with the car spending a lot of time outside in parking lots or at work. For example, I'm confident my DIM in my older Volvo failed because of cycling heat (it would oftentimes work when cold in the morning or in the winter, then go off and become intermittent). A

I'm not a huge fan of tinted windows - but I really am looking for longevity in my Cooper SE, and I'm hoping that someone may have some resources, experiences, or recommendations around tint or an application of window product that may have real long term benefits in protecting the interior of the car and especially the electronics / electronic displays that are on the interior. The black interior is a big conductor of heat - and I just want to keep things as cool as possible inside.

I am planning on painting the roof white and I will not have a sunroof, and I will use a sunshade at the dash, so I figure that may reduce heat slightly, and I do plan on leaving the windows ever so slightly cracked when parking at work in the sun.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I know there are three big suppliers of so-called “nano-ceramic” window films — Solar Gard, 3M and Xpel — but I’m having trouble finding a trusted local installer of any of them. The F&I guy at my MINI/Bimmer store has been really laconic in getting me any answers, but my nephew (a salesperson at a big Audi store up the same road) said he sends people to the in-house Rolls Royce tint installer also nearby. I’ll have to find out more details on what brand they install, but somehow it seems ceramic films aren’t in demand or popular around here — possibly because kids in old G37s, bug-eye STIs and Civics only care about the blackout look, while drivers of high-end cars rarely park outdoors…?

moncureww likes this.
  4. oldmorris

oldmorris New Member

I have a buddy who is a pro tinter/wrapper that I just talked with this about. He says the new ceramic tint films are amazing and can really remove the UV light that causes heat/damage to car and skin. He had a dermatologist come in for a 0% tint front windshield wrap from Ceramic Pro that cuts out a huge portion of the UV spectrum, they loved it so much they are getting their clients to do it for those that don't want UV rays on their hands.
    Don't be tricked by cheap car tint/wrap folks that do it cheap or use lower quality products or try to sell you a dark tint saying it helps more. It's the product, not the darkness your going after. See below:
    https://ceramicpro.com/kavaca/window-tint/

5. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Please find out what he gets for a Mini. The dealer told me 500 about 8 months ago. A detail/tint shop that is a PCA sponsor told me 450. Time flies, it is almost six years since I had a shop by my old office (about 50 miles from my house) tint my 128i, and I am pretty sure it was under 300, and it was supposed to be top of the line stuff.

6. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    An online price from a local place says “2 door car: (CA)$400” for Autobahn Ceramic Air 80. I’d guess a hatchback is more like a four-door, and the pano roof would add a chunk, too.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GDOG

GDOG Member

My MINI SE is the first car I've owned to have the windows tinted. I have no regrets. Looks badass, and I like that other drivers can't see me crying when Adele comes on the radio. It's hard to tell if the car is locked at a glance though. I think the top of the line ceramic stuff is probably around $500.

F14Scott likes this.
  9. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

hatch is a 2 door. 5 windows. sedan is 7 with the area that has the hoffmeister kink. SUV is usually 9 pieces.

10. oldmorris

oldmorris New Member

My buddy is $800+ easily. He does one-off cars, porsches, lambo, Ferrari's, Rolls, etc... so he doesn't fight for the bottom of the market.
    As I said, find a shop that has the high-quality product and a long track record. You want them to be taking the interior panels off so the fitment is right and no gaps.

11. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

The installer is more important than the brand of film. Have a top brand of film (already named in this thread) and don’t care too much about which of those brands, find a good installer. Be careful choosing based on piece, things tend to be cheap for a reason.

Both our cars have XPEL XR Plus films on the side and rear windows, legal maximum tint level, which claims 99% UV block and 96% IR block. The interior of the car takes longer to heat up when parked in the sun and I seemingly get great range figures so I’m guessing the AC doesn’t have to work as hard.
    I am tempted to get clear or near clear film out on the front windshield as now that is the noticeable spot that allows heat through as you can feel if you hold your hand near it vs the side windows (assuming both are in direct sun).

Very pleased.
    I think we paid around $500 iirc.

However I also got paint protection film on the whole car and a stone chip protection film on the front windshield at the same time as the tints so it’s hard to remember the breakdown of each plus he may have cut me a slight break as it was the 2nd car I had taken to him for the full works in as many months…

12. To remove this ad click here.