How many miles before pad replacement?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by NRH, Mar 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NRH

NRH Active Member

Hey everyone,
    I got our 2019 Kona inspected by our local independent mechanic, and he mentioned that the brakes were going to be due for replacement before the next inspection.

We're at 40,000 miles right now (mostly in-town driving). I'm curious how many miles people have gotten out of the original pads? Anyone here needed new brakes yet?

Is this about normal? Or can I blame my 15 yo who is learning to drive, and nearly makes me lose my lunch with the constant accelerating-braking-accelerating-braking. :)

Cheers, Nate

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ivan Salazar

Ivan Salazar New Member

Great question. I can’t wait for the response. It will be very helpful for us new owners.

4. I don't recall any pad replacement so far (due to wear), with a lot of high mileage Kona EVs on several forums.
    Clunking on early models were remedied by thicker (rear) pads and new clips, but Hyundai is not doing that anymore
    A response may take some time;)

5. I sold my old Prius at 95K kms, and just before rotated my tires, and checked the pads. They had very little wear to that point, and could have gone much longer. The Prius had regen as well, but the Kona's is much stronger, so I expect those pads to last even longer.

I think the dealers are just trying to make a few bucks on maintenance, so watch out.

6. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Ditto @RP's comments - I've had two Prius's, and brake pad renewal would have been the last thing I would have thought about; owners often run 100,000 miles on routine servicing only.
    Hybrids, PHEV's and EV's all primarily use regen for moderating speed, and minimal brake maintenance is often touted as a selling point for these models.
    My Kona use initially of Level 3 regen suggests to me that your family learner could easily drive as described with little or no physical braking if using Level 3 - many of we more mature citizens have taken a while to get used to it..
    Not knocking your local mechanic, but ICE car maintenance is their stock in trade, and they would do very little hybrid/EV brake work.

I would get a 2nd opinion...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. NRH

NRH Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm assuming this is related to my teen driver. I hadn't thought about putting him on a higher regen level, but that's a good idea. Might keep him off the brakes a bit.
    I have no doubts about this mechanic's honesty, so my question isn't whether it's reasonable to believe that the brakes are getting close - more a question of when others have done the brakes on their cars.

9. If you wade through old threads I think you're going to find that if owners had brake work performed it had more to do with problems related to disuse rather than overuse. Rusty, noisy pads is a frequent complaint. I honestly can't recall any wear-based issues.

10. So I have 65,000 km or 40,000 miles on my Kona as well. I check my pads every time I rotate my winters tires to summer and they probably have less than 10% wear. My rear passenger brakes started squeaking recently, again the pads look fine but it looks like the rotor's run out is out of spec. Probably could replace it but its functional fine otherwise. Honestly I find it hard to believe your mechanic's assessment that your brakes are almost done. I would get a second opinion.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    Wildeyed likes this.
  11. Ditto the above comments.
    Even if your young-bloke is stopming on the foot-brake pedal all the time, its still regen for most of the braking effort. You have to give it heaps to bring the friction-brakes into play (except for the last moment before coming to a stop). Sounds like your local independent is expecting EV brakes to wear at the rate of ICE cars. So its either ignorance or he/she's having you on.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I agree. I have a Prius at approx 400000Kms and have had two pad changes in front and three in rear (which is anti intuitive I know). Waiting for our Kona to be delivered. Probably another 6months. :-(

14. I am at 65000Km (2019) and they still look like new, we leave the car in regen 2 all the time but use the paddles to slow fairly regular. At the wear rate I have seen I would think they will last closer to 150,000 km. I chek each time I rotate my tires at home. I have had to free up the rears from road rust and lack of use as one rotor was starting to wear irregular but that's it. So far this car has not cost me a dime in maintenance