Black Out Project

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Glenn Marcucio, May 3, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. My 2022 Cooper SE Black-out Project. Blacked out "S" trim, rear E Badge, and wheels. I just need to complete it with the waistline black trim.

IMG_3061.jpg IMG_3057.jpg IMG_3058.jpg IMG_3056.jpg

SpeedyRS, Zim, h-dogg and 6 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    The beginning of an obsession! ;)

Looks great so far.

Glenn Marcucio likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I missed your plates before, most excellent.

GetOffYourGas and Glenn Marcucio like this.
  5. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

Admittedly I like the yellow on the badging, but looks sharp in all black nonetheless!

Glenn Marcucio likes this.
  6. h-dogg

h-dogg Member

Looks great! For the front chrome grille, did you wrap it or replace it with OEM part? If, OEM what's the P/N?

Thanks!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. If you're asking about the "S" I wrapped it. The grille itself came through black from the factory.

9. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

As stated above, his car came with black trim pieces from the factory as part of the Electric package.

The part number for the black grill surround on a 2022 model year is 51119450552. Mine just came in a couple of days ago :). Not sure for the 2020-21, but I do know that that part number is more readily available.

10. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Now you need get smoked rear fog lights and put some tint on the side markers.

CoachCookie and Glenn Marcucio like this.
  11. SameGuy

YUL
    Are the rear fogs on the SE incandescent? Like just regular red 921 bulbs? Seems rather feeble for a foul-weather lamp; on my smart it’s a nice P21W (easily swapped to a red Philips LED).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

The rear fog light bulbs are incandescent but I don't know what the bulb size is. It doesn't really matter on a US spec car as we don't have the ability to turn on these lights unless you use Bimmercode. I don't think Canada requires rear fog lights either but I'm not 100% sure.

This is what I have: https://www.ebay.com/itm/123601735004

14. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah no requirement here, and the rare time you do see someone with a rear fog (or fogs) on, it’s usually in clear conditions because they are using their front fogs — intentionally or unintentionally — as so-called driving lights. One of my biggest pet peeves. I will probably be ordering the headlight switch cluster that includes the rear fog light switch.

15. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

You can also use Bimmercode to enable the rear fog lights as brake lights or to turn on when you turn on the front fog lights. Oh, wait a second. You don't have front fog lights on the '22 do you?

16. SameGuy

YUL
    Ordered a 23. They certainly aren’t a must-have around here, TBH. I’d almost prefer rear fogs even if there are no fronts. But also not a deal-breaker. Just… the lights are there!

17. SameGuy

YUL
    I thought this isn’t possible, and I’d have to order the switch cluster.

18. h-dogg

h-dogg Member

Oh nice, didn't know the black grille can be ordered from the factory. Thanks for the P/N, I also have a 2022 model. Hope the install is not too difficult.

19. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Sorry, I forgot Mini removed the front fog lights for 22+ so you don't have a front fog light switch. The 20-21 model years have front fog lights.

20. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

22s do have "fog lights" and a switch but they're built in to the headlight assembly (MINI calls them bad weather lights). They're also used as cornering lights when turning past a threshold or when the blinker is on at low speed.

They seem to function as well as the dedicated fog lights on my wife's Subaru

I think the switch module mentioned above has a separate button for the rear fogs

SameGuy likes this.
  21. SameGuy

YUL
    Yes, exactly.

22. GDOG

GDOG Member

This thread appears to answer my question about the rear fogs. I have a '21 SE and have front fogs. It really bugs me that the rears are non-operational. Are the rears on my car wired w/ bulbs and ready to come to life w/ a switch and coding?!

23. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I thought I saw on a forum that you can code it so that the rear fog lights come on with the front ones. Maybe I'm wrong. I know I've seen the ability to code the rear fog lights to act as brake lights. But ultimately, the cleanest solution is to get the correct switches that contain both the front and rear fog light buttons and then code it with Bimmercode.