How effective is the heat pump in the really cold.

Discussion in 'General' started by Zen, Mar 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Zen

Zen New Member

I haven't been able to find anything but does the heat pump work below zero Farenheit or -18C?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I hate to say this but it depends:
    • in the past, not so much as they were just modified A/C units
    • Toyota has a dual phase heat pump that sounds like it handles lower temps better
    • Tesla has the class leader with a multi-phase system
    I don't have ready access to my sources but Mr Google should have credible data sources.

Bob Wilson

4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

How far below zero are you thinking of? The below zero winter temperatures in Seattle are going to be a lot warmer than the below zero winter temperatures in Calgary AB.

5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Hyundai/Kia also has a good heat pump system. You can Google their system.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My personal experience with the heat pump in my MINI Cooper SE is the heat pump stops being effective at about 20 ºF/-6.7 ºC. At around that temperature the amount of warming is negligible and resistive heating is needed. My car automatically switches to resistive heating when necessary, so I can't really confirm when it cuts over. But that's the temperature when I observe a noticeable effect on the vehicle range due to cabin heating.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Theoretically it should work just fine. At -35F temps and lower, the vehicle simply does not have enough insulation from the glass. If you have already factored in the 50% winter range loss then you should be fine!

9. Zen

Zen New Member

Thanks, but I was under the impression it was Mrs. Google. After all it knows everything.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Naw, Mr Google as sometime he is wrong. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

11. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Mini works down to -20C

Note that by works what they mean is that the efficiency drops to 100% (ie same as resistive heating so no benefit over it). Above that efficiency improves to about 2-2.5x at temps above freezing.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

MINI is a water/glycol heat pump with an auxiliary resistive heater and I believe Tesla utilizes a cabin water/glycol transfer plate (on the chiller & condenser) tied to the R-1234yf refrigerant octovalve system for the battery/motor/cabin. The downside for Tesla is the refrigerant at low temps will have reduced PSI for the boiling/condensing point below 14F or -10C (efficiency takes a nose dive). That and winter highway driving can cause some serious issues. I can't find much information on water/glycol 50% mixtures for comparison.

14. I have a 2021 Kona BEV with heat pump for cabin heat and battery heating and I am pleased with its performance. I live in the BC interior and I see temperatures down to about -20C. The car heats up quickly and stays warm. The more significant advantage of a heat pump, in my opinion, is the effect battery heating has on wintertime range and charging speed. Before I bought the Kona I drove a Bolt. Two roughly similar cars, but the Bolt did not have a heat pump or battery heating. At any temperature below about +10C the Bolt's range dropped off, and got rapidly worse with decreasing temperatures. IIRC at -20C the Bolt might only have 180km or so, while the Kona still has 300km. And the Bolt seemed to take forever to charge at those temperatures. At -20C a road trip in the Bolt required 1 hour of charging for every hour of driving (ugh!), not so in the Kona. The Bolt did have its strong points (a little roomier and I liked the driving dynamics), but I would trade those 10 times over to get the heat pump. Bottom line: if you need snow tires where you live, get the heat pump.

bwilson4web and electriceddy like this.