Is this model eligible for $7500 tax credit

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Bommai, Apr 16, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bommai

Bommai New Member

This is kind of late for asking. I just bought a new Ioniq 5 today. Now I am wondering I this car is eligible for the tax credit. Hope it is. How will I know for sure? Dealer wouldn’t tell me anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If you owe at least $7,500 for this year's income taxes, you can deduct $7,500 for your Ioniq 5 purchase. I believe your dealer must never have sold a BEV before yours. Here's this year's list of eligible BEVs.

4. Bommai

Bommai New Member

Thanks. I guess it only changes each year. I was worried that somehow the Ioniq 5 was eligible in the beginning of the year and if they sold a certain number of them, they may not have the rebate any longer. Based on your post, it looks like I should be able to claim it. Thanks.

5. insightman

Hopefully, your dealer didn't tack on more than $7,500 for a "market adjustment."

6. Bommai

Bommai New Member

They tacked on $3000. Wouldn’t come down below it. They also charged me another $1000 in dealer fees (Florida dealers tend to charge $700-$1200 for this). Having a little bit of a regret I guess. I paid less for my 2022 Odyssey Touring.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

You bought two great vehicles. The Hyundai, however, is in short supply, prompting your dealer to buy a new boat.

9. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

The tax credit is up in the air right now. Nobody really knows but likely your $7,500 will be available in April 2023. If Biden's BBB plan comes through then GM, Ford, and Stellantis could qualify for the full $12,500.

10. insightman

The time when Biden's Build Back Better bill could have been passed (or any future Biden bill, for that matter) has expired.

teslarati97 likes this.
  11. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

True, so it's DBA or Don't Build Anything.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bommai

Bommai New Member

So what paperwork do I need to file for the tax credit next year? Just the bill of sale from my dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro