Is Mini SE the most airy

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Smart Wannabe, Apr 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

Given the glass roof at the rear and sunroof. Is the MINI SE the most airy EV. After watching the AMI and Me youtube channel. It inspired me to drive my SE around tourists area vs trying to find a parking space and walk. I think that the MINI SE is the best EV for that purpose given the Sunroof and the glass roof. Definitely beats Tesla or Polestar and even Taycan.
    I can’t wait for warmer temperature.

insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I would say the Rolls-Royce 103EX Concept if you want an extreme airy feel. Probably a yacht on wheels.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You can't just go throwing out obscure examples without including a photo. OK, this concept car does have a larger piece of glass in the roof than the SE with a sunroof, but you can't buy it. Maybe a Lucid Air might be a car you can purchase that has more glass in the roof, but I'm with @Smart Wannabe on how airy the SE with a sunroof is.

upload_2022-4-18_16-6-13.png

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  5. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I don't know, you could argue that a vaporware EV is the airiest of all.

Texas22Step likes this.
  6. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

The i3 is airier, but in my opinion it's a less comfortable ride. It's got a huge front passenger space and large glass everywhere.

The Taycan and Polestar are pretty cramped, especially given their enormous exterior size.

Teslas have an airy feeling with glass roofs and dramatically sloping hoods, but no moonroofs.

Haven't tried a Lucid Air but if you want airy it's even in the name :p

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Well if having an airy cockpit isnt enough of a reason to pass on ordering a Taycan, I dont know what is!

9. insightman

If TopElectricSUV (never heard of them before) was correct when they wrote on March 29th about an electric MINI convertible, that would be the airiest:

The next-gen electric MINI is approximately 18 months away from entering production (September 2023), as per the Autocar report filed on 22 March 2022. The next-gen MINI 5-door and next-gen MINI Convertible will roll out of the BMW Group Plant Oxford. The latter is confirmed to receive electric drive.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  10. What? Teslas have no moonroofs! That is a deal breaker.

11. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

Would be cool if it is Fiat 500/smart for two convertible style. I like that better than Mini one. More elegant

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful car, but less exciting than some reviews will have you believe. Had a few test drives that left me indifferent. Very expensive first-gen EV.

Just glass roofs. I'm not really a fan of moonroofs, to be honest. They tend to fail. SE convertible would be fun :)

14. insightman

Because it will be a problem to protect convertible occupants from the big battery in a rollover crash (our SEs have reinforced A-pillars and door-sills), I don't know how MINI can make a convertible F56 EV without including a roll-bar or some kind of targa roof.

15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've owned five MINIs since 2010, model years 2008 through 2021 (three Clubman S and a Hardtop S plus the SE). All have had moonroofs, and the three Clubmans I've owned have had double opening roofs. I only had one incident on the 2008 Clubman S where the roof was sticking and cost around $200 or so to fix. Other than that no issues or leaking. I think it's safe to say MINI's moonroof is well-designed.

16. BackPack

BackPack Member

I ordered min specifically without the moonroof. I just never use them so no reason to have it. I like the look of the solid roof better too.

17. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

i think the roofs are made by Webasto, or what Webasto morphed into.

18. It does seem pretty common these days for EVs to come with large, panoramic roof glass that's completed fixed in place. As @polyphonic noted, this is the case with Teslas, as well as Lucid's vehicles, and many others.

I really appreciate that the moonroof on the Cooper SE not only vents, but also slides open I don't open it up that often, but it's a nice treat on those occasions when the conditions are just right.

I believe the prevailing opinion is that the moonroof on the 2024 Cooper electric will vent, but will not slide open. The one silver lining for those who like an airy cabin feel is that it looks like the roof glass area on the 2024 is a fair bit larger.

19. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

I guess it depends how literally you interpret "airy". ;)

If it's literally air/airflow, then a moonroof is great, and I am looking forward to having one again when my SE arrives.

If it's as in "feeling spacious", then the Model 3 takes some beating, glass more-or-less all the way from the top of the hood/bonnet to the top of the trunk/boot. Plenty of headroom for taller drivers, it feels plenty airy and is great (once you add the wind noise reduction kit!).

20. insightman

What does the Tesla wind-noise reduction kit include and why isn't it standard? Did Elon tweet, "Oh, some customers think my cars are too quiet"?

21. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

This land-yacht must have a folding sailing mast too (even more efficient than a battery drive)? Not included in photo, though.

insightman likes this.
  22. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

It's third party. To quote the description: "This custom made expandable silicone rubber seal fills up the channel around the top of your windshield and around the entire perimeter of the glass roof panel." Once I installed it, it did make a subtle, but definitely noticeable reduction in wind noise.

There's also a third party road noise reduction kit, which has additional seals for the trunk/frunk/doors. They also make a noticeable improvement.

wessy and insightman like this.