Emissions System Problem

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Randy Stegbauer, Dec 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

sabasc likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. thanks @MrFixit I'll take a look at this more closely as soon as I have some free time. Back on the day of my previous post I used the OBD2 car scanner software to reset the trouble codes and they have not returned yet.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

So, I think you are saying that resetting the two codes that you reported (P26A3, and P0D28) cleared up both the dashboard Emissions System Problem, and the Check Engine light?

Resetting is certainly a good idea because it will tell you if it was a one-time fluke, or an actual persistent problem.

Thanks for the update... Keep us posted.

5. That's correct, @MrFixit. Since resetting the trouble codes, the emission system alert on the gauge cluster has not returned. I'll check the OBD2 status when I get back from my trip after Thursday.

6. yeah723

yeah723 New Member

I have the same problem :( I bought a new Clarity just 2 months ago... Got the first emissions system problem msg on July 04, brought car to dealer on July 05. They said they did all the tests and no issues found, reset the code... It came back on today, July 08. Need to bring car back to dealer tomorrow, not happy about it. We have not fill any gas at all.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Johnhenkles

Johnhenkles New Member

You'll get a check engine light if you run the car near empty for too long. I'm guessing the system cannot perform it's pressure/leak test without an adequate amount of fuel in the the tank. Those tests may also look for fueling events before it starts certain tests.

9. yeah723

yeah723 New Member

Car was never empty, in fact, the dealer filled up the tank when we bought the car and we never used gas. It has always been full. Dealer said they talked to Honda Engineers and was told that the electric water valve needs to be change. It seems like I maybe about a month without the car as the part is backordered:( geez... Hopefully at least that fixes the problem.

10. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Just curious, why can't you drive the car until the part arrives?

11. yeah723

yeah723 New Member

Was told by dealer that it is not recommended to be driven in case valve completely fails. Got a loaner but I much rather drive my clarity. The difference is huge.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robert_Alabama

I'd probably have told them that I brought it in 2 months ago and they reset the code and I drove it until the code resurfaced. Then recommended that let's try that again while we wait for the part to come in, promising to bring it back if the emissions message came back prior to the part arriving. They would probably have been happy to keep the loaner and you'd be happier driving your Clarity.

14. yeah723

yeah723 New Member

Well, they did say that it is not recommended to be driven so I don't want to risk of voiding the warranty in this case. It was a struggle to get a loaner, I got lucky that they happen to have one this time since they ran out of loaners the previous day. This dealer does have great service and I will just leave the car to them to fix everything. I just hope it is a one time thing. Getting a lemon is not exactly a fun thing.

15. Robert_Alabama

Few of these cars have really had problems, so I'd bet this is the only issue you'll have (unless the A/C condenser goes on you and at least they are covering that under extended warranty now). Mine is now 3 years old with about 24k miles and is yet to have anything fail. Hopefully the water valve won't take as long as they are estimating.

16. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

I don't know if it's a federal or by-state warranty provision, but all the time your car is sitting at the dealership waiting to get fixed "tolls" the warranty. That is, that time gets added onto whenever the warranty would have expired.

17. yeah723

yeah723 New Member

I live in Canada so not sure how that adds on. Our consumer protection laws suck and our cars are usually more expensive.

18. yeah723

yeah723 New Member

Just an update. It is finally "fixed" so far. Dealer called Honda and Honda told them to replace the electrical water valve. Hope this actually fixes the problem.

insightman likes this.
  19. mustermutti

mustermutti Member

I just had the same warning message appear a few days ago. It came on during freeway driving, when battery ran out and car switched to gas. Gas tank about half full. I checked the gas cap and it seemed tight.

I took it to the dealer today. They didn't find anything. Code was P2097, "issue with the post catalyst", but they said they ran some tests ("AF cylinder test") and couldn't reproduce it. So they cleared the code and warning is gone for now.

I asked what "post catalyst" means, they said something to do with catalytic converter. Reminded me how those tend to get stolen a lot; we did have our car parked in a sketchy street on the day the warning came on. But if someone had messed with it I assume the dealer would have told me, they said there was no evidence of loose cables or other visible issues.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  20. F9D8BE2A-972C-4E96-8A42-047304F7F172.jpeg

sabasc, rodeknyt and turtleturtle like this.
  21. Redcubia

Redcubia New Member

My 2018 Clarity also has this problem. It was intermittent about 4 months ago. This week, the error message is consistently appearing.
    Did the replacement of electric water valve ultimately became the real fix? Is the root cause still a mystery?

22. yeah723

yeah723 New Member

Yes, so far no issue.