An elephant in the room

Discussion in 'General' started by Raylo, Feb 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

The inevitable reality is that during the transition period there will be imbalances between the need for charging and availability of chargers. At some point it will be like gas stations now -- pretty much everywhere people need them, at numbers that allow operators to turn a profit. But the next 5 years at least, will be a little bumpy, I imagine that's what it was like with gas stations circa 1915-1920.

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Recently we found a charging desert from the Northern most tip of Maine, the border and customs office, to Boston MA. A Tesla could handle the gap BUT the potential buyer did not want a single point of failure on the route which I agree. A charging desert because there are no J1772 or even NEMA 14-50 charging spots along the route. If he hopped over to the Canadian side, no problem charging, but threading the US-Canadian border has its own risks.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  4. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

If you are implying that hotels will keep up with demand by installing free L2s, up to and including at every parking spot, I just don’t see that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. bwilson4web

Only the ones who want EV guests. As Demming said, ‘Survival is not guaranteed.

Bob Wilson

6. Well, it is happening here... Not all have them, but the ones I would want to stay at do.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

We EV owners don’t take the towels and linings.

Bob Wilson

9. That's a tendencious reading of RP's assertion. It's not as if every gasoline powered vehicle has a waiting pump, at every moment.

If there's a powerline feeding lights in the lot, the base for electrification is ready, today.

https://www.plugshare.com/map/hotels

10. I think free charging at a hotel is a very desirable amenity. They will supply as many outlets as needed to keep their guests happy. It is a small cost comparable to what a free breakfast. EV drivers will choose hotels that offer free charging, there is no doubt about that. And with more and more EVs, they will be competing for their business.

Reminds me of Manitoba where I grew up. Hotels and workplace outside parking lots all had electrical outlets. People not only had block heaters in their cars but also interior heaters. So when you walked out to your car, it was nice and toasty inside and the engine started easily without the usual cold weather groaning.

GetOffYourGas and DJP like this.
  11. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

And as EV sales grow -- and in the U.S. they're outpacing the overall auto industry by a pretty dramatic margin -- more customers will come to expect it. It doesn't have to be every parking space, but it EV chargers will be common in hotels/motels in a relatively few years. They're already increasingly so in California, which has the highest rate of EV adoption. Other states will follow. My new home state of Hawaii hasn't caught up yet, but a bunch of the beach resorts on Maui already have chargers. I've already made travel reservations based on the availability of charging and I know I'm not alone. We're becoming a market force that will need to be addressed.

Esprit1st and bwilson4web like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

For comparison, a decade ago it was difficult to find hotels/motels that would accept dogs. Now they're commonplace since so many people travel with their pets.

14. But if you're travelling with any other type of pet, forget it. They say "pet friendly", but most aren't - they're "dog friendly".

15. What other sort of "pets" could you mean?

16. bwilson4web

Dog eating pythons?

Bob Wilson

Raylo and DJP like this.
  17. In my case, it was a caged budgie. But I could see driving to a new home with a caged hamster or guinea pig too, for instance.

18. GetOffYourGas

I had to look up “tendencious” - thank you for teaching me a new word.

I don’t agree with it though. I am just taking the argument out to its end. At some point it falls apart. Most people on this thread are very bullish. I am not. Here in the Northeast, hotel charging is severely lagging the need. I got told that I couldn’t even charge on a 120V outlet overnight recently, despite it costing them less than the free breakfasts they gave to the local homeless people every morning. This was in Burlington VT, a very progressive city. The mindset here in not shared by hotel managers.

19. *Reductio ad absurdam* That's the sort of thing that must endear you to strangers. Read the room.
    I'm sure you charmed management, too. Nevermind the power cord across their sidewalk.

https://www.plugshare.com/directory/us/vermont/burlington-south-burlington

20. GetOffYourGas

Why are you turning this discussion into an ad hominem attack? Am I not allowed to disagree because no one else share my opinion?

There was no sidewalk involved thank you. The parking spot I was already in was right up against the building next to an outlet.

bwilson4web likes this.
  21. GetOffYourGas

Also, I am well aware of the chargers throughout Burlington. I use them regularly. All I am saying is this particular hotel was hostile to EVs. That’s fine, they won’t get my business again. Not that they care now. They might care in the future if enough EV drivers feel the same and walk away.

22. bwilson4web

Let me suggest approaching the ownership of the chain with a well written, brief letter. When the boss changes the policy, local management and owners tend to listen.

You might include a PlugShare snapshot showing their competition who have overnight charging. It might take more time and there maybe a Google map that accomplishes the same effect.

Bob Wilson

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  23. Why are you turning this discussion into an ad hominem attack? [/QUOTE]
    It's not an attack on your person, when your attitude is repellent.

"...despite it costing them less than the free breakfasts they gave to the local homeless people every morning."

QED