Trip planning using the MINI Nav in the SE and not in the MINI app

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by azausa, Apr 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi everybody, we are planning a 834km round trip over Easter, and I have identified the charging stations that I have to stop at, 3 charge stops each way.

Can I just enter the destination on the MINI Nav and it will tell me to stop at each charging station or is it best for me to enter each charging station as a stop over in the MINI Nav?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Urbanengineer

Urbanengineer Active Member

It unfortunately doesn’t do wayfinding like the Tesla app.

4. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

If you know which chargers you want to stop at, I recommend entering each one as a destination into the MINI nav.

If you enter a destination the GOM doesn't think you can reach, the nav should step you through finding a charging stop. I don't know how cumbersome that process is or whether it will find the chargers you have already selected, so my suggestion is purely based on expected ease of entry.

5. Yup, entered the destination, MINI Nav said insufficient charge, and pointed me to a single charger station near my house on the map, apparently there is a single charging station in the entire NZ, the map does not show the other charging stations that I know are within my range.

After going through the myriad of menu options, I located the POI and chose charging stations and change location filter to along the route, and yup there are no charging stations along the route.

So, I tried adding intermediate destinations with addresses of the charging stations, and it worked.

That was cumbersome.

Question now, will the MINI SE retain that trip plan when we go away on Friday, or do I have to go through the process again, argh.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've had my SE ask me if I want to resume my trip the next morning, when I forget to cancel it. But I have no idea how long it will remember it for.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MichaelC

At least you should have those stops in your list of recent destinations, so that should help in case it doesn't retain the trip. I find it much easier to use the app to send destinations to the SE, rather than fiddling with the on-board nav controls.

Urbanengineer likes this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've never used the app for anything other than starting pre-conditioning and checking the charge level. I see in the app where you can set up to "30 of your favorite saved locations." Are those the destinations you send to the SE?

10. MichaelC

You don't have to save locations as favorites in the app in order to send them to your SE. You can send any location from the app to your SE. Saving them as favorites just makes them easier/more convenient to select.

11. Agree, it is so much easier to send your destination from the app to the SE, sadly neither the app nor the MINI Nav can include the charging stations into my trip, and I have to do them manually as intermediate destinations. It just tells me I cannot reach my destination due to the limited range and I have to charge. Would be nice if I drop the destination from the app to the SE and the MINI Nav will take care of the adding of the charging stations enroute. I think this is a Tesla thing?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bmartinez028

bmartinez028 Active Member

The MINI app does route planning with charging stops included. I’m not sure what happens when you send it to the car though. IMG_3970.JPG

MichaelC likes this.
  14. Probably this is an NZ thing, but my MINI app does not do that, definitely the MINI SE cannot do 363.4 km on a single charge of 100% SOC, but as you can see, it presented no charging locations, but it did tell me, I am out of range. IMG_2415.JPG

15. MichaelC

You mentioned above that the built-in map does not know about any of the chargers you plan to stop at. The MINI app must be using the same map data, so cannot include charging stops at chargers it doesn't know about.

16. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

There is an abundance of DC Fast chargers in New Zealand from the plugshare.com data. Most are less than 50 miles apart! You could use the plugshare trip planner (need to make a free account).

17. That is my conclusion too ☹️

18. Yup, I used that and ABRP, also PowerTrip which is specific to NZ roads & charging network. I know I’m just whining, but it would be convenient if the trip planning is seamless just like yours in the US.

19. We are enroute now, and happy to report the SE retains the trip plan, i.e. destination & stop overs.

20. Urbanengineer

Urbanengineer Active Member

that’s better than my phone google maps… can’t even remember my route 5 mins later.