9 month ownership thoughts

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dean Chao, Mar 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dean Chao

Dean Chao New Member

I am just super happy that I bought the clarity PHEV last year. It's a 2018 Touring model with about 40k miles. In my 9 months of ownership I've put ~6000 miles and only fueled up twice. First time was driving back home from the dealership with no EV range left. Second time was jus to refresh the fuel in the tank.

It's done everything I asked it to do. Kids pickup/drop off, grocery runs, restaurant visits, church on Sundays, etc.

It's so easy to drive. I don't know how else to describe it. It's just...... easy. And of course on days like this, when it tells me the expected EV range is better than advertised, I feel like sharing it with the folks here. So here we are :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Very impressive for a 2018 with 40k miles.

Madmartigen and Dean Chao like this.
  4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I'm with you Dean. We've owned two Clarity PHEVs, starting on Dec 5, 2017. My only worry is someday having an accident and having to replace it. The truth is there is no replacement on the market today. The Clarity is smooth, comfortable, has sufficient acceleration, is well appointed, and is spacious. We've taken it on 1,100 mile trips but the vast majority of our use has been around town on 100% electric. We charge from roof solar so our fuel cost is close to zero.

This is by far the best car I've ever owned. I would invite Honda to come out with a replacement with only a few modifications.
    1) A slightly larger battery for about 60 miles of range.
    2) A volume knob
    3) A bit more aggressive regen
    4) The ability to keep it in HV mode when on long trips after stopping and turning the car off.
    5) I'm still thinking about a desired fifth modification...

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

A larger battery would allow slightly more aggressive regen, probably not enough to notice.

How about a larger trunk pass-through for #5?

Mark W likes this.
  6. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Actually I thought of another - the windshield washer system

Mark W, leehinde and Madmartigen like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dean Chao

Dean Chao New Member

moonroof for me :)

gedwin and Madmartigen like this.
  9. TNGJ

TNGJ New Member

3) A bit more aggressive regen - one pedal driving

5) Keeping regen level after turn

Mark W likes this.
  10. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

I would like A/C and Heat buttons. Press the A/C button and you get only A/C, never heat. Press the Heat button and you only get heat, never A/C. And if you press neither button you get just the fan.

Clarity Dave and Dean Chao like this.
  11. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    5) A better backup camera

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I agree with you guys. I also worry about replacing my Clarity if something happened to it. We have four drivers in the house, with 3 cars. The Clarity, a Chevy Bolt, and a Hyundai Ioniq Electric. I originally got the Clarity and Ioniq Electric because there was amazing lease deals that just made financial sense. Low initial cost, low maintenance cost, low fuel costs. Now though, the market for all cars, but especially EVs is crazy! My Clarity is my comfortable road trip car. There is no EV that is affordable and available that could replace it. I live in CT, where the winters are cold. I got the 2017 Bolt about 6 months ago because it was the only affordable EV with long range. That range goes down by a third in the winter! So much for long range!

When I go on road trips, I don't want to plan my trips around EV chargers! I watch these silly videos of EV road trips, where all it is is people driving two hours to the next Wal Mart! When I heard about how fast the Ioniq 5 was going to charge, 10-80% in 18 minutes, I thought okay, maybe that would be an acceptable EV for road tripping. Then, it turns out that only happens when it's 70 degrees out and the stars align. I guess not. This is where the Clarity fits in. I can drive it around locally as a smooth riding quiet EV, and when I road trip, I drive four hours, stop at a gas station for 5-10 minutes, and I'm on my way. I eat where I want, not at whatever place that's next to a charger. It's a comfortable, smooth riding boat that gets 40 mpg!

I'll be really happy to replace the Clarity with an EV that is affordable, has long range, and can fast charge quickly. I don't see that being available any time soon. Long live our Claritys!

BrianRC, Dean Chao and Madmartigen like this.
  14. Oh my! How is it possible that an EV could be less convenient than an ICE vehicle on a long road trip?

15. Dean Chao

Dean Chao New Member

Charged on Sunday from 0 EV range to full. ChargePoint station reported 12.502 kWh. Car reports 53.6 miles. Weather has been mild here in NorCal, no AC or heater...
    IMG_20220403_134747.jpg

16. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I'm also in NorCal and have been able to avoid heating/cooling and have been getting 50+ for the past week on my 2020.

Dean Chao likes this.