What's your highest efficiency?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by ghost, Mar 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ghost

ghost Active Member

I have just over 5k mi. Drove home in traffic yesterday on the freeway. Not fun, but efficient. The traffic finally let up with about 10 mi to go. At that point, I was at 6.6 mi/kwh (10.6km/kwh in the rest of the world)

This morning, the GOM showed 127 mi (204 km).

I always drive in sport mode.

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

If you calculate based on distance and change in battery percentage (using the 28.9kW), the built-in efficiency readout seems to always be low. Not sure which is more accurate but I'd probably guess the percentage calculation is better?

Here's my info so far based on the app charging history export:
    Best: 6.2 mi/kWh
    Worst 2.6 mi/kWh
    Average: 4.0 mi/kWh (since July 2021)​

There was a giant drop when I changed from the OEM summer tires but otherwise my efficiency seems to follow the outside temperature pretty well:

Screenshot_20220328-144028_Excel.png

4. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

I haven't paid enough attention to this with our SE. But the other day the GOM showed 152 miles after a 60 mile r/t trip to the vet and overnight charging to 100% at home. That's the most optimistic our GOM has ever been. It usually predicts around 130 miles after a full charge.

ghost likes this.
  5. vader

vader Well-Known Member

Had the SE since Sep 2020:

* lifetime average 12.5kWh/100km (4.972mi/kWh)
    * best range 274km (all city, no freeway, driving like a granny to see what I could get) 10.5kWh/100km (6.5mi/kWh)

I normally hover around the 12.5 mark, which is why my average hasn't changed over the last year. Sometimes a bit better, sometimes a bit worse. I drive exclusively in sport and probably have something like a 70/30 city/freeway split.

Best ever GOM result: 174km - although I think I remember a better one once, ironically after a freeway only trip which returned my worst ever economy. I only managed 220km range at 100kph (beautiful warm day, dead flat road, no wind) which is about 13.1kWh/100km (4.7mi/kWh).

One thing I religiously do here in Oz is use the speed limiter. Speeding fines are our official second tax system, and I try to minimise tax :) I may get to the limit quickly, but I stick to it. Maybe that is my secret.....

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Your technique not only minimizes your exuberance-tax bill, but it also eliminates brake-light flashing caused by rocketing to beyond the speed limit before backing off to legality.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Your pre-2022 SE has a speed limiter? My 2021 North American one does not, at least that I know of.

9. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Limiter is part of ACC?

10. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I have the speed limiter, but not ACC on my SE.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

11. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

The speed limiter is just a soft limit so you can rest your foot on the pedal without exceeding the speed limit. You can manually override by 50%+ pressure (I don't know exactly how much).

It's rather useful when you are driving into the sun and your camera based ACC fails.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

ACC wasn't available in the SE until 2022 model.

SameGuy likes this.
  14. vader

vader Well-Known Member

The 2020 version had no ACC. You get standard cruise control and speed limiter. It stops you exceeding the preset speed unless (as teslarati97 said) you apply considerable throttle, and even then there is a small lag before the system disengages. You have normal control below the limit. The CC will keep you at that speed all the time. You can change between CC and limiter, so if you are say on the freeway in CC, when you get to the offramp, you can flick it to limiter (at the same speed), then back off using regen to slow down. You reset the limiter to the new speed and keep going. Really useful around town. I no longer have to look out for the blue pixies with their magical revenue devices.

SameGuy likes this.
  15. SameGuy

YUL
    Thanks, was unsure.

16. SameGuy

YUL
    Yep, my 2006 smart has that (NB: cruise was unavailable in Canada, I had to order a stalk and get the module coded with a Star diagnostic computer that I ended up buying anyway).

17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Are you talking about the "GREEN Limit?" The Owners Manual says that feature displays a warning if you're in GREEN Mode and you exceed the speed you set. In GREEN+ Mode, the warning appears if you exceed 55 mph. From the 2021 Owners Manual:
    upload_2022-3-29_0-48-15.png

18. Puppethead

I use CC all the time in my 2021 SE, and I've never seen any limit function. But it could be me, as it took me a few months to discover the automatic high beams (love them). Any tips on how to activate limit function?

19. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

On the 2022s (at least without ACC) there's a "LIM" button on the steering wheel right next to the cruise button

new-2022-mini-cooper_s_hardtop_2_door--11086-21282037-17-1024.jpg

20. JZ99

JZ99 Member

Calculated. Recent change to L2 reflected in wall numbers.

upload_2022-3-29_11-44-59.png

ghost likes this.
  21. Puppethead

Right, doesn't exist in previous models (2020/2021).

2021cc.jpg

22. ghost

ghost Active Member

Wish I could calculate it just for the return leg, but on the way to my destination, there was no traffic, so my speed was up and my efficiency suffered. Total for the round trip was 5.4 mi/kwh for 76 mi total.

23. vader

vader Well-Known Member

I have an "original" 2020 SE, and the lim control is on the steering wheel where your "Set" control is. The set control is the central round switch which I guess is the ACC button. You adjust It in the same way as the CC. Soft click up/down (half press) for +-1 kph, hard click (full press) +- 10 kph. One thing to note though, in CC mode, dropping down 10kph slows the SE down gradually. Dropping 10kph on the limiter activates full regen. It is quite "interesting" the first time you do this :)