Ford F-150 Lightning EPA ranges revealed

Discussion in 'F-150 Lightning' started by Domenick, Mar 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. It seems like we've been waiting a long time to learn the EPA range for the Ford F-150 Lightning, but it's finally public.
    • Pro 18"
      (SR): 230 miles (370 km)
      (ER - fleets): 320 miles (515 km)
    • XLT
      (SR; 18"): N/A (potentially the same as Pro SR)
      (ER; 20"): N/A (potentially the same as Lariat ER)
    • Lariat 20"
      (SR): N/A (potentially the same as Pro SR)
      (ER): 320 miles (515 km)
    • Platinum 22"
      (ER): 300 miles (483 km)

RLXXI and Fastnf like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I am waiting on a pro version SR. 230 miles is fine for me as I don't plan to road trip in it. My kona gets 259 miles but I rarely use that much range except on road trips to visit family. Even then I usually do short charges every couple of hours on road trips and it works fine. Road tripping with electric is different form gas but generally doesn't take significantly more time. I am sure I could get by on 230 really don't need more that.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to compare with the range of the ICE versions in terms of miles per tank of fuel. I don't think these ranges seem too bad for a truck. My F-350 diesel doesn't go much further on a full tank (well over $100 per fill before fuel price spike). And my 30+ gallon fuel tank can take a long time to fill without a wide-nozzle pump...

5. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

Exactly my thoughts as well. I was set on the Rivian but when they pulled that bait and switch, lost all confidence in the company. So pro it is.

Fastnf likes this.
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I can't remember if they all have the same motor, but if they do, then the 18" 230-mile models should be the quickest, right? What will they call the eventual top-performing model, the "Lightning-Lightning," of the "Struck Twice?"

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Actually the 230-mile battery is slower because the smaller battery puts out less amps than the larger battery hence less power even though the motors are the same.

electriceddy and insightman like this.
  9. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

It's not nearly that simple. If your trying to figure out which wheel will spin the fastest, you need to look at the outside diameter of the tire, not the diameter of the wheel. The tire of the 18" wheel has a taller profile than the 20" wheel and the tire of the 20" wheel has a taller profile than the 22" wheel. I haven't checked the outside diameters of all the different tire sizes but I'm assuming they are very similar meaning, the all the tires will spin about the same speed.

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It wasn't the diameter I was considering. Smaller, lighter wheels deliver superior EV range, so I assumed they would also provide quicker acceleration.