2023 models now showing on MINI website configurator. Signature trim for SE has been removed.

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by BiggieSmall, Mar 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Not an unreasonable plan. My dealer still has two 2020 Iconic SEs on the lot (for now), but I was there Friday getting a wash and saw people seriously interested in one. I'm still trying to convince my spouse we need a second one :). I think local dealers are good at getting them transferred from other dealers, or at least used to be in normal times.

wessy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. As I'm always late to the party on some things, I was just on the Miniusa site I noticed the racing green color is no longer available on the 23 model. Looks like a possible price hike as well. Also did a little research on the 24 model. I like the way it looks and the more battery power. But don't like the possible super large round center display screen. No gauge pod in front of the driver. What's the matter with the manufacturers these days that are forcing drivers to take eyes off the road to look to the center display just to see the speedometer?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    insightman likes this.
  4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Check Mini of Alexandria.com they have 2022 SE 18 for sale maybe is worth to pay for for delivery to get back $7500 before they gone

5. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

it wasnt on my build sheet. Dealer gave me the build sheets for the cars they had coming in. I picked the red. Then i compared it to another sig. Didnt do anything till it arrived thinking it was a typo. Then we worked it out.

6. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

I didn't mention the Kona specifically, I assumed us EV geeks knew what cars were available at the price point...

I'm not saying all people paying $35k should automatically buy the Kona over the Mini even though they are effectively the same price now the Signature is gone, and they are both eligible for the rebate (whereas the Bolt is not). People have their own motivations for their purchases, my wife who doesn't even need the Mini's range would buy the Mini over the Kona simply based on looks as she has no other considerations.

However, it is my opinion that with a budget of well under $30k (after rebates if applicable) most people would be better served by a Kona (more space and range) at the same price as the Mini. Perception is important. We all know that range wise the Mini can serve most people day to day but the limited range is perceived as a problem. Paying ~$27k after rebate for a 114 mile range 2 door vehicle with tiny back seat and cargo vs paying ~$28k for a 258 mile range 4 door vehicle with larger rear seat and cargo is a tough sell. The Kona could easily be their only car. Most people are going to care about that kind of thing. The Mini is considered limited utility and for an eV limited range in 2022. Selling it used in 2027 is going to have an even greater impact on depreciation. I love the Mini and we would have bought one anyway, but we are not most people.

When the Mini was $22.5k after rebate I would recommend it based on that price as long as the 114 mile range and size was suitable.
    At that time the Kona was $27.5k after rebate but in return for the extra $5k you get 258 miles of range and usable back seat/trunk.

Now the Mini is also $27k after rebate it's a harder position to justify.
    Unless you are an enthusiast and care more about performance and handling than the other points, or just love the Mini looks/culture like my wife does.
    But I don't think that's most people...

wessy, insightman and Rexsio like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

My friend with a Kona just got his back from the dealer. He took it in in September for a recall and they had it for 6 months before they got the part to fix it. No way in hell I'd ever buy one.

Texas22Step likes this.
  9. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Based on your logic, I would never have owned any of the RX-7s, BMWs, Porsches, or convertibles, that I owned in addition to appliances (i stopped counting at 40), my friends would never have owned Zs, CRXs, Vettes, etc. Porsche would never have built its first sports car, BMW would never have built the Z3, lets not even go where AMG, M, etc. have been.

About a year ago I got the itch to try an electric car. The only one I considered was the Mini. If I want to drive a boring car I can drive my Volvo sedan that I bought specifically to haul the kid. If it disappeared, I wouldn't care. any time my sports car gets dirty I get upset, but I also enjoy getting it dirty.

Some people look at cars as an appliance. I definitely am not one of them. My folks on their honeymoon in 58 picked up a Karmann Ghia in Germany, drove it for a few months and brought it back. The next year they picked up a MGA that he watched roll off the assembly line. I guess a passion for fun cars is in my blood. Fortunately my wife who autocrossed while pregnant knows the difference between an appliance and a car. Your wife is A-OK in my book, keep her!!

BackPack and revorg like this.
  10. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

BRG is available on the 2023s and there was no price hike. The online builder just hasn’t caught up yet from what I can tell. (I have a 2023 BRG Iconic on order…)

atari and SameGuy like this.
  11. AndysComputer

I’m not suggesting the Mini SE shouldn’t exist.
    I’m not saying it’s a bad choice for everyone.
    Those of us on here are quite clearly car enthusiasts, the average person does not spend time geeking out over their car on forums.

For most people the car is an appliance, like I said, this is why people buy Toyota’s. I’m not one of them and never have been, every car I’ve owned since I got my license 25 years ago has been an interesting, enthusiasts choice in some way.

But Plaid Tesla’s, Cybertrucks, Hummer EVs, Porsche Taycans, Tesla Roadsters etc are all niche products that the average person cannot afford and has little use for. Even I have lost interest to an extent.

Right now we need more EVs that people can afford. The Mini was a good choice at the original price point (vs other options) as if you could live with the size and range it was the cheapest entry into EVs and you got a relatively fast, fun, well built and stylish car. Not often you can say that about the cheapest of a kind.

The Leaf lacking battery cooling is something I would never recommend at this point in time. Nissan have fallen behind badly.

Now the entry price of the Mini has gone up to equal that of much more sensible options, which are a better choice for most people.
    A high price combined with limited range pushes the Mini up into territory that means only people who care about style/driving dynamics should buy one. There are a lot of people who fall into that category, ourselves included, but we are not most people.
    The sales of the SE will be reduced with the price hike, there is no question. And to me that’s sad. We need more sub $30k EVs, and we just lost one.
    It’s also why BMW will ensure the next Mini has much longer range, people want that, they will charge more for it, and while weight will go up we shouldn’t kid ourselves that the current SE had a small battery because BMW wanted to keep the weight down to preserve driving dynamics. They literally couldn’t shove any more capacity in there. The driving dynamics are a side effect of that, not the cause. That’s why the next car will be heavier.
    Range matters more to most people.
    I get the feeling Mini are trying to maximize the profit out of the final year of the car, but growing market share is not their concern.
    Mini will go back to being the premium choice, but for the last couple of years it was the economical one.

Texas22Step likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I was offered BRG at the dealership, but decided on Island Blue Iconic for my 2023.

BackPack likes this.
  14. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Classic (no sunroof), Premier (“Signature +”), and Premier Plus (“Iconic”) are available to order from Canadian dealerships for 2023.

AndysComputer likes this.
  15. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

I ordered a signature, got a build sheet. Dealer didn't balk and hasn't called me to say I need to switch to a signature+ yet. So hope the order holds. If not, I'll just wait for the next gen car.

SameGuy likes this.
  16. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

I was back and forth on BRG or Island Blue but ultimately I already have my Grabber Blue Mach-E so BRG it was!

SameGuy likes this.
  17. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Is the Kona now available in all 50 states? That's one thing in favor of the SE (and Bolt).

18. AndysComputer

I wonder if it’s just the USA that is being used as an ATM then? LOL!

atari likes this.
  19. atari

atari New Member

Not sure, I tried to order a signature last Sunday on 3/13 but have since been told I can't order it. This was at Seattle Mini. Very glad to hear that British Racing Green is still one of the colors because that's the color I want!

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I hope the British Parliament would step in if MINI tried to delete British Racing Green from their palette!

21. AndysComputer

It is available in all 50 states now but it certainly didn’t use to be though as you point out.

22. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Huh. I really meant that as a rhetorical question, as I was under the impression that it was only "available in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont" (quoting the Hyundai website). Perhaps their website also needs updating?

(Regardless, having rented an ICE Kona previously, I suspect that the EV version is a lot like the Bolt, although with a nicer interior but a cramped back seat. So, not really like the MINI except that it's electric.)

23. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

I am not one that focuses on all of these vehicle market statistics, as I know I wouldn't retain them in my head anyway. However, I am definitely old enough to easily remember the past periods where gasoline prices spiked and (surprise!) all of a sudden any vehicles with high gas mileage specs, including the hybrids of the day and now including BEVs were in high demand and carried higher prices. Now we see once again the same ("the more things change, the more they stay the same"). So, be sure to include in your theory the usual "unforeseen" bump in demand for higher-efficiency vehicles in periods of relatively high gasoline prices.

(To really show my age, I can say I remember retail gasoline prices in the $0.25 / gal range when I was in graduate school! Of course, my trusty but old Pontiac got maybe 10 mpg on a good day.)