First DC fast charging experience. The Mini was great, EA not so much…

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by AndysComputer, Mar 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

We have not had cause to fast charge either of our cars but being aware of people having issues fast charging but no problem home charging I decided to fast charge both this weekend.
    I drove the Tesla to a fast charger some 40 minutes away, saw 6 units with two occupied, pulled into one, got out grabbed the handle of a a surprisingly light cable, plugged it in, within seconds the car was charging. Nice.

Drove the Mini down to 64% and pulled into an Electrify America at Walmart after checking the app which said 5 out of 6 chargers were available. When I arrived none were in use so I drove up to one, opened the charge flaps, walked up to the charger, pressed the buttons and the screen remained black… moved to another unit and saw it said “unavailable”. Moved to a third unit and this time the screen would light up only if I pushed the middle button which takes you to the help screen. The other buttons did nothing. So I plugged the car in anyway, then used the app to start the charge. The screen then lit up with “initializing charging” and I could hear the cooling system whir into life. But the screen just went blank so I had no idea if it was actually charging or not. The EA app said it was charging but after about a minute or so said 0kW charge rate and 0 kWh delivered. So I switched to the Mini app which said the car was charging and was now at 67%. The EA app then woke up and said the car was at 65% so it just has major lag…
    Anyway…
    The car went from 64% to 78% in 6 minutes at 48KW and held that speed up to 82% or so. By my math 10% to 80% would take 30 minutes. Very nice.
    I unplugged at 87% which it reached in 11 minutes so I am very impressed with the charging speed of the Mini given it’s real world range which works out to the equivalent of charging at 175 mild weather interstate miles per hour below 80%.

So I’m impressed with the car, not so impressed with EA given it said only 1 out of 6 chargers were unavailable but I found 2 out of 3 that I tried unavailable and the third being usable via the app only. These were ABB units.
    Given how little they get used the lack of reliability is a concern…
    While I was there an ID4 owner showed up who said he had reported at least one of the failed units every week for several weeks but it was still broken…
    The sad thing is that a gentleman walked over to me when I arrived as he was curious about the process having heard the Mini (which he described as sounding like a spaceship) drive past him in the parking lot. So I said it was my first time doing this so we’d have to figure it out together and he remarked the process wasn’t as straightforward as he’d assumed. If things had gone smoother it would have been a better showing for EV’s but at least once it worked he was impressed with the charging speed and was in fact worried the car was charging too fast for him to do his shopping while it did so…

That said, provided I go somewhere with at least 4 allegedly working units I feel confident to have a go at a road trip here in Texas…

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Urbanengineer

Urbanengineer Active Member

175 highway miles??

my trip to buffalo last summer was not nearly as range friendly. We averaged about 90 miles per charge to 90% at highway 65 mph speeds. We did have a bicycle in tow though which likely reduced range.

4. AndysComputer

No it won't go 175 miles, I mean the rate of charge is equivalent to 175 miles of range being added per hour. (the way Tesla displays it on their screens).
    In terms of highway driving, I got 130 miles to a charge (100-0) at 70mph with no heat/ac needed and 102 miles (100-0) in freezing temperatures on the same route.

wessy, Urbanengineer and CoachCookie like this.
  5. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Also from the DFW area, I decided to drive to what I am guessing is the same EA location you mention (in Denton), and as a first-time DC fast-charge effort see what is what there, and try it out. However, my MINI SE was still above SoC of 80% upon arrival, so although there were plenty of open charging lanes I just looked it over without trying to charge there and opted to press on to our planned ultimate destination in Oklahoma, just across the Red River.

Once there, I visited a PlugShare-listed fast charger offered by an Oklahoma company, Francis Energy. There I plugged in my SE with the DC combo plug, swiped my credit card and proceeded to easily and successfully charge the MINI at 47 kW for 25 minutes. If this can be done in the middle of nowhere in southern Oklahoma by a local company, surely EA could easily be as reliable and successful as the local company in Oklahoma. But, based on your post and other reports, I guess that is not the case.

6. AndysComputer

Good guess, I did indeed use the Denton location!
    The funny thing was that I took a roundabout route to get there and travelled at 80mph in order to get the state of charge below 80% but the “little EV that could” stubbornly refused to eat power and I was barely below 80% when I got there. So I had to drive the bypass road for several laps of Denton to bring the charge level down, and do so erratically which probably hasn’t done Mini drivers reputation with others any favors… my apologies…

I only checked the EA app so thanks for the head up on the chargers over the state line as I may use them next time!

Incidentally it took 40 miles of driving at 70-80mph in sport mode with foot to the floor acceleration at every opportunity to bring the car down to 65% so that’s potentially 114 miles of range while driving like a lunatic…
    I continue to be impressed by the real world range of this little car!

wessy, Texas22Step and kicksology like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. sousvide

sousvide Member

I had a same experience as you at an EA fast charging station in Houston. I was at 64% SOC because I didn't plug in the night before. I had something come up that required me to need to be at 90% SOC to make it home for the evening.

I tried to charge at a local Nissan dealership that offered free fast charging but the cable for the CCS was too short to reach the stop I parked so I went across the street to the EA charger. There was an Ioniq 5 already there charging and there were 4 open spots. I plugged in and it took a while for the initializing charging to start charging. I charged for 20min and ended up at 92% SOC, I was chatting with the Ioniq 5 owner.

I hit stop charging on the EA charger and unplugged and went back to work. I forgot to check how much my session was and so I logged into the EA app. The app showed that I was still charging for some reason and that I've been plugged in for an hour now with 0 kWh. I called EA and they said they would remotely reboot the charger and for me to sign out and sign back in the app and that should stop the charging. I did that and even deleted and reinstalled app but it still showed I was charging. I checked the EA website and it showed the charger I was using as available so I assumed it worked but the app wouldn't update. I finally get a text 4 hours later from EA for my charging session, $0 for 1kWh delivered. If I had known that I would have charged up to 100% for free.

Overall the experience was ok compared to some of the horror stories I've read about or seen videos of. EA customer support was super easy to get a hold of and easy to deal with. I do miss the simplicity of the Tesla Superchargers, plug in charge up, unplug and go. Your card on file is charged automatically.

wessy, Urbanengineer and Texas22Step like this.
  9. AndysComputer

The reason I bought a Tesla Model Y over the Ioniq 5 is the charging experience.
    Granted I was only choosing the Ioniq for the retro future looks and was prepared to sacrifice range and so on to get it, but given the Mini is our local car and the other vehicle is for road trips, the charging experience was paramount. Non Tesla brands are going to lose sales to Tesla until this is sorted out.

I really want to know why so many chargers are broken given how lightly they are currently used.
    Whether it's because they don't talk to the car properly, won't initiate, have dead screens, card readers that don't work, won't authorize, randomly stop charging or whatever. Given the simplicity of what they do I don't understand why their software is so bad (I'm a software engineer and frankly it seems like they farmed out the software to the lowest bidder or hired the cheapest most inexperienced coders they could find).

I searched YouTube several times for videos on this topic but didn't find anything.
    Anyone who gets an interview granted with EA asks a bunch of softball questions around network expansion and charging speed and sometimes cost, but let's the off with PR blurb about improving reliability without any actual metrics to back it up much less any breakdown on causes and why. It's like YouTubers don't want to rock the boat in case they lose "access" in future. I mean, lose access to their PR? Really?

wessy and Urbanengineer like this.
  10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

We don't seem to have a range thread, but I can't believe what I did in my SE today. GOM (car) said I had 126 miles total, @GvilleGuy's EV Range showed 138 miles! I still have my winter wheels on, and drove aggressively in mid mode all day, mostly freeway.

Mar 21, 2022 at 18:05 ** 55.4°F ** Wind: 11.806 mph from E ** Humidity: 53% ** Driven: 95.1 Mi ** Start-Batt: 100% ** End-Batt: 31% ** Mi / kWh: 4.77 ** GOM Reading: 31 Mi ** Range Left: 42.73 Mi ** Total Range (From 100% charge): 137.83 Mi ** Total Range (From 100% charge): 137.853 Mi

wessy, Texas22Step, MichaelC and 2 others like this.
  11. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

That's impressive!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

EA contracted the work out to 4 different suppliers. Depending on your region you may have a different supplier with varying degrees of reliability.

chargingAM.JPG

efacec was the first to get voted off the island!

Urbanengineer likes this.
  14. AndysComputer

LOL, I did hear about the efacec units...

The location I was at was ABB.

15. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I could not agree more. Level 3 charging needs to be as simple and uncomplicated as pumping gas. I have had some kind of hiccup almost every time I’ve attempted to use a Level 3 charger. The only one I’ve found mostly reliable is the FREE L3 at the local power company. It’s the one I use the most, obviously. However, yesterday it was occupied by a Bolt so I attempted to use a pay-for-use L3 down the street. No such luck. So back to the FREE charger and a 20 min wait.

My hat is off to Tesla for creating a charging experience that exceeds expectations rather than disappoints.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. AndysComputer

I really want to understand the failures.
    What are the most common failures, and their cause.

I do find myself wondering if companies are just doing everything on the cheap in order to claim some sort of grant money or tax benefit by having a site and not really caring about the quality of product out there or the revenue from it…

Urbanengineer and CorgiCanoe like this.
  17. Puppethead

It seems usually a software failure, probably frequently caused by some hardware conditions. I believe EA DC fast chargers (maybe other sites as well?) have coolant in the cabling, plus DC fast chargers also have cooling in the cabinets. Because these are all in unattended locations they don't have anyone watching over them, unlike most fuel pumps that get daily human supervision.

Texas22Step likes this.
  18. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Good points. L3 chargers -- regardless of flavor -- do seem to have fan-augmented cooling in the cabinets. But, even so, these should have a lot fewer moving parts than traditional gasoline pumps that do get daily human supervision as you note. So maybe the L3 charger manufacturers should focus on beefing up the cooling systems and parts as a likely primary point of failure?

19. mzeek

mzeek New Member

You guys are making me nervous. I will be trading in (or selling outright) my Tesla Model Y for my new Mini SE and driving it from Dallas to our vacation home in Central Florida (and back). I've calculated 14 charge stops along the route and it seems I've no choice but to make one of two legs perilously close to 104 miles. Seems after one reaches a point of no return, one is dependent on the reliability of commercial (non-Tesla) chargers. Clearly, there is a possibility some may be INOP. What is a reasonable number of miles to plan between stops so as to plan for alternate charging locations? All this ambiguity is making me think of renting a Uhaul and flat bedding it instead.

20. AndysComputer

“Mechanically” or “electrically” I can’t imagine they’re much different to Tesla’s Superchargers which also don’t have a daily attendant.
    Software wise they’re very different and maybe this shows the difference between a well funded tech company writing it vs a non tech company or new startup.
    The Tesl approach also removes card readers, screens and buttons from the unit…

21. Puppethead

Not on site, but given Tesla's tech savvy I do not doubt every supercharger is remotely monitored in real time.

Urbanengineer and AndysComputer like this.
  22. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I for one would be willing to pay more for Level 3 charging if it increased the reliability to at least equal petrol pumps.

This brings up my oft stated question: why aren’t petrol stations being the logical place to locate Level 3 charges? What do gas stations expect to do when BEV’s are more prolific? When their only revenue sources will be ice water and bad coffee!

Gas stations should be on the forefront of making electricity available for transportation just like they have with gasoline for the past century. Wake up! Welcome to the electric century! Petrol stations need to reinvent themselves as “energy stations”.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

azausa and revorg like this.
  23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

At the exhoribitant energy prices Level 3 EVSEs impose, I wouldn't advocate for increasing their prices even more. Broken public EVSEs don't make money. I believe companies will care more about the reliability of their EVSEs as the number of EVs using them increases. The situation will also improve as the companies making the most reliable EVSEs that require the least maintenance achieve the greatest market success.

I never see EVs charging at the gas-station EVSEs in my town. Instead, I see people charging at big-box stores where they have something to do while their EV is charging.

drdunkyn likes this.