Finally taking the EV dive but having trouble deciding

Discussion in 'General' started by Robert Brown, Mar 5, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

All of these replies are showing something that is nice, CHOICE. Sure, its not as much nor as low a cost as we need, but look at the choices available now that weren't a few years back.

Tesla 3/Y/S/X
    Chevy Bolt/ Euv (when in production... soon?)
    Hyundai Kona-E, Ioniq 5
    Kia ENiro, EV6
    Nissan Leaf, Leaf+, Ariya
    Toyota BZ4X
    Subaru Solterra
    Audi Etron, Etron Q4
    Polstar 2
    Volvo XC40 Recharge
    Ford Mache, F150 Lightning
    VW ID4
    Rivian R1T, R1S

And more...

GetOffYourGas and bwilson4web like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tallerbill

Tallerbill New Member

It might sound insane to you, but (especially if you can charge at work) consider buying a used Honda Clarity Touring. Check the Clarity forum for info on the car, extended Honda warranty deals, and used Claritys for sale. You'll probably have to fly somewhere to pick it up, but plane tickets are cheap.

4. Rob Kaulfuss

Rob Kaulfuss New Member

I got the Kona EV Ultimate in September after trying the ID.4 and Mach-E, Neuro EV, and Chevy EUV. The car is great, super fast and more efficient than all of them. It has slightly higher ground clearance than all of them except the AWD Id.4 by a hair. It has adaptive cruise control although I haven't tried it. The car is very short, but not that narrow and surprising roomy. You may be able to find some in your price range.

5. Rick Cormier

Rick Cormier New Member

The salesman who sold us our Niro EV told us to expect 230+ miles per level 2 charge. Today, we got 276 miles out of it! Why? Because I have learned to drive in it's "Economy" range. That's a good thing. I tend to be heavy-footed when driving my Camry Hybrid. My wife's Niro EV has taught me to slow down. We use the Niro EV for trips to and from the city (90% of our driving). Even its 2022 basic EX model has most of the features that were previously only offerered in the 2021 premium model.

6. Robert Brown

Robert Brown New Member

Ok, thanks all for the input. I think I've settled on a Model 3. One last question if anyone happens to know. I've found a couple on dealer lots with Full Self Driving packages. I've researched with mixed results on how transferrable that is. Has anyone successfully bought used and preserved or lost the Full Self Driving abilities?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

A Full Self Driving beta tester, I turned it off on the next to last 'hands on' warning. Having reverted to AutoPilot, it has all that I need for Huntsville driving. If you get FSD, good but don't set your hair on fire if no luck.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    electriceddy likes this.
  9. Robert Brown

Robert Brown New Member

For the full self driving, I'm hoping for future improvements. Planning to keep this car long term, was hoping that it would keep being improved/added to until its significantly better than todays FSD. Am I being foolish there? Really have not kept up with that a ton, but I love the idea.

10. bwilson4web

Autopilot is enough. FSD adds lane definition for streets without center lane marking. I like FSD but Tesla is being an *ss about taking it away.

Bob Wilson

11. berchman

berchman New Member

During the recent unveiling of BMW's iX and i4, the spokesman said that they would come with two years of free charging with Electrify America. When I pointed out that there are many reports of EA chargers out of order, he replied that if one calls the telephone number on the charger, someone will repair it remotely. Is this true?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

They can remotely restart the station software that often gets it working again. But I always tried the other stalls first.

Bob Wilson

cwerdna and electriceddy like this.
  14. cwerdna

cwerdna New Member

Although I can't say I'm a fan of EA, virtually every single time I've gone to an EA site with the intent to either pay for juice or take advantage of announced or unannounced free juice (https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/electrify-america-complimentary-sessions-stations-set-to-free.37983/), if there's a problem w/a charger or handle, almost always can I find another one at that site that works.

I of course check Plugshare before going there though.

https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/arobs-spring-2022-cross-country-bolt-trip-thread.42624/page-3#post-708244 did an over 7K mile road trip in his Bolt using EA many times and reported on his experiences.

Yes on what Bob said.