DC Charging cable stuck - chargepoint

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by meggoev, Mar 14, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. meggoev

meggoev New Member

Hi all, I've run into this issue a couple times. These are pretty specific circumstances, so bear with me. In Southern CA, specifically Orange County, we have a lot of Irvine Co owned charging stations, mostly chargepoint. Every time I've plugged into one of their DC chargers, I can't get it to disengage once I want to wrap up the session before I'm at 100%. It requires me to call Chargepoint and get them to manually intervene. From what I gather, this is simply b/c the Irvine Company overrides the functions so you cannot use the touchscreen to "stop" the charge, or "stop" from within the app. There is a message that comes up basically saying Irvine Co has disabled this feature to "make EV charging accessible to everyone" (??). So I guess my question boils down to, is there a way to force a disconnect from within the Mini somehow? or within the Mini App? Calling Chargepoint is a total hassle and it can take 20+ minutes for them to actually fix the issue - and the whole time I'm paying for more charge I didn't want.....sigh.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. meggoev

meggoev New Member

Yes that's the exact same response I get, but "Irvine Co" instead of UCSD. Yes, the car is unlocked. The Chargepoint guy on the phone was really quick to say it was my car's fault....which rubbed me the wrong way since my mini is perfect! ;)

But I'm mainly trying to figure out if there is any way to manually intervene on the mini side since relying on calling Chargepoint customer service is a bust.

4. ghost

ghost Active Member

I wish the app had a stop charging button. I stopped charging by playing with the charging times on the app, but it wasn't easy. This was at home, so I could've unplugged the charger from the wall, if needed.

I work in Irvine, too, so I'll be sure to wave if/when we cross paths. Never seen another SE in Irvine, yet, after a few months.

5. meggoev

meggoev New Member

Please do! I haven't had any of my Mini SE waves reciprocated yet :( granted I think I've only seen 3 in the wild.

Now that I'm thinking this through further, I think this might just apply to certain Irvine Co owned chargers - because I just remembered I've successfully plugged into the Chargepoint DC Charger outside of Target at Irvine Spectrum and been able to manually stop it using the touch screen just fine, multiple times. This latest "stuck" incident happened to me in the Crystal Cove shopping center, and the time it happened before was at the Whole Foods center right outside of Irvine Spectrum.

A "stop charging" button within the Mini app would be really helpful.

ghost likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

99A655ED-EDFA-4B4B-B41F-4F0C5C48ECAD.jpeg

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

How to do it with ICE car .

Texas22Step, meggoev and revorg like this.
  9. DROSE

DROSE New Member

I've charged at the DC fast chargers at UCSD in my BMW I3s and have received the same lockout issue as the Porsche driver you linked to. I got around it by taking my chargepoint app enabled phone and placed it over the NFC sensor on the charge unit (like I was initiating a session). The unit chimed let me end the session.

10. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Just as an aside, it’s the passenger door specifically that needs to be unlocked in order to release the charge cable from the SE. Simply getting out of the car and leaving the driver’s door unlocked is not sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Texas22Step and ghost like this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. bmartinez028

bmartinez028 Active Member

You can stop the charging process and unlock the charging cable anytime by going to the “My MINI” menu on the screen. Go to the “plan charging/climate” then “settings charge current”. Should be in there somewhere. I’ve had to use it at all Chargepoint DC stations.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    MichaelC likes this.
  13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I believe this is the correct way to use ChargePoint. You need a second card tap to end your session. I always do that and I've never had a problem, although I've never used a ChargePoint DC charger. It does avoid the "disconnect" alert from ChargePoint, however.

14. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

This is referring to the App, correct? Why can’t I find this? Does everyone else have this in your App? I have the “MINI” app; is there another one?

15. bmartinez028

bmartinez028 Active Member

This is on the infotainment screen in the car.

16. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

I don't know whether it is on some infotainment screen in the car, but it is also on the home page of the app. However, I don't think it "shows" itself until the car is actually plugged in and charging when you are looking for it in the app.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I don't see anything in the app for stopping charging, maybe it's non-obvious? I'm on an iPhone.

18. Texas22Step

My app is on Android. I will look to find it when I plug my SE in next time and update this post. (Hope I wasn't just dreaming or, even worse, having a "senior moment.)

19. Texas22Step

I am apparently wrong. I had occasion to charge my MINI SE at a public DC fast charger yesterday, and looked for the "stop charge" function that I thought I had remembered in the app, but couldn't find it either. I must have gotten confused with the app I used before with my (former) Honda Clarity PHEV. Sorry to have misled you!