How Do You All Charge Your Mini SE?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by David Comstock, Mar 8, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the “need” for Level 2 charging really depends on the total length of your commute or daily use.

A typical overnight charge will add approx. 30 miles to my SE battery. My commute is always less than 30 (my office is 3 miles away) so I only use Level 1 charging.

I bought the SE Sig. as a budget EV, so no reason to spend money on Level 2 EVSE and upgraded electrical service to garage.

Prior car was a PHEV, so I’ve been on Level 1 for the past 9 years. And, wife has been on Level 1 (Prius Prime) for the past 5 years. Level 2 would be nice to have, but it’s not always essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

I've done fine with my Level 1 charger, going from 80% to full every night, charging after midnight to 0500. I completely agree with Caarsen's mantra of ABC (always be charging). However, if I'm low for any reason I want to make sure it's going to be full in the AM. My house needs an additional panel, so I'm planning on spending another $2k to upgrade our infrastructure, because I want to be prepared. With the current global situation this is even more important, and if I can charge from my solar/battery at the lowest rate it's worth it. There are may reasons to go with the SE, and cost is definitely high on the spectrum. But I will sleep better at night knowing I'm doing my part to not ruin the planet.

goaheadbackup and MichaelC like this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've always viewed upgrading for 240 V in the garage for EV charging as a home improvement. I'd say within a few years having that in place will be a selling point.

Also, with the 2023 SEs coming with the Flexcharger you automatically will be getting a Level 2 EVSE with your new car.

drdunkyn likes this.
  5. sage major

sage major New Member

I recently installed 2 hardwired Chargepoint chargers, one for my 23 mini coming soon and one for my ID.4, one on each side of the garage. I put them in as part of installing solar, and a main pannel upgrade. My city give $1,000 rebate per charger installed and $2000 for pannel upgrade. I bought the Chargepoints from the solar and they did not charge me tax, so I saved 8% and they charged me the same as amazon. My new wiring gave me a 50A and 80A chargers, and the mini can't hit either, but its future-proofed.

6. Yes, the cost to upgrade (especially in the Northeast) can be very pricey. (We have an old house with an awkwardly placed 100A panel.) We’ve been using L1 since delivery around the first of the year with good results. Our demands on the MINI are modest as we no longer have a daily commute - I’m retired and my wife works remotely. Having an L2 would be nice but we won’t be rushing into the expense. Perhaps as part of a garage upgrade when (if?) construction costs stabilize. We’re very happy that we installed a modest solar array about four years ago.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

Good reminder about the Flexcharger. That makes things easy.

9. BackPack

BackPack Member

What does this mean that it comes with a Level 2 EVSE? Does that mean I only need the 240V plug in my garage?

10. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Correct. The 2023 Cooper SEs will come with a FlexCharger that has different plugs for 120V (level 1) and 240V (level 2) charging. The 240V plug with be a 14-50 plug, so you'd just need an L14-50 receptacle installed to use it as a level 2 charger. While it is typically permitted to install a 14-50 receptacle on a 40A breaker, If you're having one installed I'd go with a 50A circuit to future proof.

BackPack likes this.
  11. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely correct as @methorian says. But, I would also add that a number of the available wall-mounted EVSEs also have plug-in versions (usually NEMA 14-50 receptacles), which make these easily much more portable & serviceable. In addition, should you ever move to another house, you just have to unplug a wall-mounted EVSE and take it with you. I installed a Siemens brand EVSE a few years ago that is mounted on a rail on the garage wall, making it easy to take along to a second (lake) house, if you ever have a vacation home too.
    If you get a FlexCharger with your car, that is likely to be all you will ever need at home or anywhere you may travel (even RV parks have compatible 50A receptacles). Sadly, FlexChargers weren't on the scene when I bought my original plug-in electric vehicle.

BackPack and drdunkyn like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Wanted to add for anyone who wasn't aware, but Webasto (the manufacturer of many OEM EVSEs) also has the TurboCord at a really good price direct:

https://store.evsolutions.com/turbocord-dual-120240v-plug-in-ev-charger-p28.aspx

This is the same EVSE that BMW/Mini have offered as branded upgrades (for like $500).

It can do level one, 120V, up to 12A and level 2, 240V, up to 16A. If you're in a situation where you don't have capacity for a higher amperage circuit you can install a 240V, 20A circuit that would allow you to charge around 3.8kW using the TurboCord.

wessy and MichaelC like this.
  14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

But at only 16 Amps/240 Volts that Webasto is only half as powerful as the FlexCharger and it has a strange NEMA 6-20R plug for 240 Volts. On the plus side, it is UL listed, which many EVSEs aren't.

One factor people need to consider is whether their local regulations require a GFCI for plug-in EVSEs. GFCI is unnecessary for an EVSE, but regulations don't always take into account the technology of the devices involved.

I'll agree a plug-in EVSE could be more convenient if you want to take it traveling, but it's so easy to unhook a wired EVSE that the "easy-to-disconnect-when-I-move" argument doesn't make sense to me. Eliminating the plug removes one more point of possible failure. Also, you don't have an option to have a plug with a 48-Amp EVSE, for those interested in "future-proofing."

wessy, Urbanengineer and MichaelC like this.
  15. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

Glad to hear you've had success with your Wallbox unit! I just wall mounted a 40A Wallbox on our 50A circuit. Have been charging our Model Y on it for a few weeks now just to make sure all is well. Plan is to charge the SE with it, then charge the Model Y after as it can take full advantage of the 40A if needed. If that doesn't pan out in the long term the backup was always to pick up another Wallbox unit as they can load share like you mentioned.

16. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

That's for the Ford Charge Station Pro users to go 80A on their 100A breaker for their fancy F-150 lightning. Want Ford full home backup? Just add another $20,000 to upgrade your XLT standard range to extended range battery (80A Charge Station Pro included), the labor and permits to get a 100A breaker, $10,000+ for the Home Integration Kit from sunrun, and maybe a main service upgrade from $2,000 to $40,000 (depends how much underground wires).

Good thing Ford has less than 40,000 vehicles left (as of Dec 2021) before the $7,500 phase out happens, so that will soften the blow for prospective buyers.

17. Puppethead

Exactly my plan, for real :eek:. But my house is more than halfway ready, I already have an extra 100 A service and my house has a generator panel. Hopefully I can keep the upgrade closer to $5000. I figure if I'm spending insane money on a new truck I'm getting maximum functionality out of it.

wessy likes this.
  18. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Yes, just wait until you see the $60,000 complete solar battery backup system upsell from sunrun. Will save you $10,000 because you don't need the home integration kit. Now you just need to spend $72,000 to get the XLT extended range for emergency backup because your home solar PV system isn't good enough.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  19. Puppethead

Well, I have been really wanting a Tesla solar roof because I like the looks. But man, the way Tesla does business on those roof installs is really off-putting. Not that other solar providers are much better.

20. Urbanengineer

Urbanengineer Active Member

It’s been discussed elsewhere but remember Level 2 charging is more efficient and wastes less electricity for the same percentage charge.

you’ll want to get a proper Nema 14-50 plug like the Hubble as it is made for multiple disconnections.

21. vader

vader Well-Known Member

I'm in Oz, so we have 240V 10A standard sockets. That is what I use - a 10A 240V charger. I had the wiring checked in my garage and it is easily capable. I go on 4 hours per 25% charge. I rarely go below 25%, so 12 hours (overnight) will see me with a full battery the next day. No need for faster charging.

22. Urbanengineer

Urbanengineer Active Member

Ah, but you aren’t thinking like an American now. If you aren’t charging at the max rate all the time, how will you drive across town and Then immediately leave on a road trip after? Jk, 10A 240V sounds like plenty.

Bram Seynhaeve likes this.
  23. Puppethead

That works out to 2.4 kW. But is it considered Level 2 because it's 240 V, or Level 1 because it's the "standard" outlet? Does Australia have 3-phase? Maybe that's Level 2 there...