External fan noise when running AC or battery conditioning starts

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by MatthewL, Aug 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Nobody drain refrigerant for transport and is goood bc if dealers will do they just screw up those cars .If fan starts like above 85’ F this is normal to cool motor and battery .In my i3 heat pump starts always above 85’F with MiniSE I don’t experienced any think yet bc In New York is still cold .

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Cristina

Cristina New Member

Hi everyone,
    Here is the full video with the noise coming from the heat pump:

I wasn't able to see what was under the hood because everything is covered and I didn't want to have any warranty discussions if I opened the shell...

The thumping is some exterior noise coming from the construction site, but the grinding is from the heat pump.
    They confirmed it was a manufacturing problem that caused the compressor to beak. There were pieces of it in the filter and they had to change and clean everything. The lubricating oil for the compressor was apparently completely missing.
    I'm sorry that my mechanical knowledge is very limited and I'm not able to describe what happened in technical terms.

In any case I think it's good to know that this problem exists and to get the car checked as soon as you notice the noise getting too loud.

Thank you all for your feedback and have a great Sunday!

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks for reporting back--we were all curious why your SE's preconditioning sound was so loud and raucous.

Do you have your SE back with a new heat pump?

5. Cristina

Cristina New Member

Yes, everything is working perfectly now.

wessy, insightman and Puppethead like this.
  6. SandyUT

SandyUT New Member

I am happy to read this thread. the charging/battery fan kicked on today for the first time (or at least the first time I heard it). Its 100 outside and we were running errands with AC jamming. Most likely the hottest day we have had the SE out since we got her in Dec. Figured it was a battery cooling thing of some kind.

CsD likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

In New York is not so hot like in some places around a country owning bmw I 3 for 6 years I have only once experience you describe with 95 ‘ temperature outside my garage I charge a car and heat pump make a noise not familiar to me bc I always charge in garage with 70’ but this is normal you should not be worry about as long the sensors doing their job with my SE no problem here in NY

9. Vinnie

Vinnie New Member

Reviving this thread as I just took my 2022 Sig SE in for its annual service. For reference, my SE had the same exact noise as in post# 14 video every time I turn the AC on. I just got word from my Dealer that it is the AC compressor. They will have to order the part from Germany and will take 1-2 weeks. They also want to keep my car until the part arrives since the compressor is already laboring and don't want to cause any further issues. So they are providing me a Lyft service later today to come and pickup an SE loaner. I can't say enough great things about this dealer. It's my first time going to San Diego Mini but all very positive experiences so far.

insightman and Puppethead like this.
  10. EricJ

EricJ New Member

Wow! Thanks for posting this reassuring video, as my heat pump makes the same noises.

Do AC/heat pump compressors make this much noise in IC cars, and it's just masked by the engine noise? Seems not, as this would be loud enough to hear over the engine at idle. Maybe that racket is the price of high efficiency? At least it's inaudible underway...

11. EricJ

EricJ New Member

Also, I guess most IC compressors are belt-drives off the engine. The clutches engage and disengage but the the compressors don't do the wild up and down changes that ours do off of their dedicated motors. So maybe they are this loud but the sound is always in sync with the engine?

SameGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    ICE cars don't have heat pumps (unnecessary as there's plenty of engine heat to scavenge), and the AC compressor is driven by the engine via a belt and pulleys, so no extra electromechanical noises. An electrically-powered compressor works differently than one directly driven off a powerful engine, so it makes different noises.

insightman likes this.
  14. EricJ

EricJ New Member

Both still just compressors, and I’m thinking they’re mechanically similar. Maybe because the speed can be varied on an EV, they are built smaller but operate at higher rpm to get the pressure they need for the evaporator?

15. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I suppose. My heat pump water heater at home makes a variety of noises that are completely different from what the fridge or deep freezer or even the HVAC heat pump make.