Has anyone found a fix for the horrendous wiper sprayer design?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Casey Martin, Mar 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Casey Martin

Casey Martin Active Member

I complained about this when I first got my Clarity. I spent some time trying to come up with a way to improve the way it sprays washer fluid but I never came up with anything. The issue is (if you own one you know) washer fluid doesn't spray on the upper part of the wiper blade. In the winter time with salty roads the lack of fluid makes it difficult to clean the upper part of the windshield well. The part you actually need to see through. ;)

Anyway, I am curious if anyone has come up with a fix for this.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Agree, it's horrible. One of those small things that makes you wonder how it got past R&D.... I just try to keep up on it with gas station squeegees...

4. gedwin

gedwin Member

Not an innovative solution, but I just pull the lever a really long time, dumping washer fluid for 10 seconds or so. Eventually I feel it gets wet enough to clean the full area. I go through fluid 10x faster on this car than all my others. Insult to injury, I think the reservoir for fluid is actually on the small side. So I top off frequently in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

David Towle likes this.
  5. Casey Martin

That does work but like you said it uses a lot of fluid. When the roads are wet and salty and you have to do this every few minutes the reservoir runs out quickly. The reservoir is extremely small like you said. I keep fluid in the trunk just for that reason. I think it holds less than half a gallon.

DaleL likes this.
  6. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

IIRC correctly there are 6 water holes on each blade. I blocked two of them in the middle that were unnecessary and re-adjusted top ones to cover higher areas.

DaleL likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Casey Martin

Could you please elaborate on exactly what you did? How did you block the holes? How did you adjust the top ones?

9. The slobbering fluid alternates on every swipe, always dribbling out the trailing edge. The first swipe is a dry affair. Mediocre results are obtained after a few strokes.

A more powerful pump might help. Doing so would likely cause the dash to illuminate with a bevy of alerts, as the vehicles delicate sensitivities would have been disturbed.

10. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

made a slo-mo iPhone video to clearly see where it is spraying, block unnecessary ones with a wooden chip, used needle (insert it in the hole and turn in the desired direction) to re-adjust the flow

11. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

My fix has always been a good coat of Meguiars Quik Wax and a microfiber cloth. I haven't had to refill my washer fluid container in 3 years of driving my Clarity.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Works fine (but inefficiently) for me.

14. leehoewonek

leehoewonek Member

Similar solution, I use Rain-X. Clean the windows, apply 3 coats, let it dry thoroughly, tnen remove glaze with a microfibre cloth (nothing else works). I do this every spring & fall, and barely use the wipers, let alone the wash. I also do the side & rear windows, and the mirrors. Everything blows clean.

Mowcowbell and Kerbe like this.
  15. M Galford

M Galford New Member

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Wakimitsu brand wiper blades and rain x. Both sound like great ideas.

16. I have to correct this statement. It was based on viewing a video posted on this forum, rather than closely observing the operation of the wipers and washer fluid dribbling system on our Clarity.

The fluid is emitted on the leading edge of the wiper blade. It is the exact opposite of what is shown in the video as well as what other owners have described.

The only theory that I can offer is that the installation of the supply lines has been reversed on certain vehicles.