Black Exterior Waistline Trim Option

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by oldmorris, Mar 7, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. oldmorris

oldmorris New Member

I've been looking over the forums and trying to understand the information on the waistline Piano Black trim option. Although it appears there is speculation that the 23 models might come with this stock, I have also read that some folks are paying for it extra upon delivery.
    It looks like you can purchase it as an aftermarket accessory as well.
    I'm doing a Grey/Black combo with black roof racks, and I do not want a chrome waistline trim if I can.
    Please inform me/us/internet what the current options are, how much they cost, and how you got them done. Do I need to reach out before my production date? Is this something I can bargain with when the car shows up missing 'features' because of chips?

Here is the only article I have found on it: http://www.motoringfile.com/2021/04/30/mini-finally-to-offer-black-belt-line-trim/

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

The 2023 models will not come standard with it. It is an optional accessory that can be purchased with your order and will be port-installed. This option is $675, as seen on my build sheet here:

upload_2022-3-8_6-16-2.png

It's also available via Mini Parts (or other online parts vendors) for around $550-$600 and you can DIY install or pay to have your dealer/someone else install. (For reference I was quoted ~$300 for my dealer to install).

It's apparently not too difficult to install, but I chose to have it port-installed to make my life easier.

I will say that it's very odd to me that they don't offer it as a factory installed option. They're installing the chrome trim anyways, so it doesn't seem difficult to have them both available at the factory. I guess the port recycles or reuses the chrome trims they remove when installing these? Just seems a bit of a waste...

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Just get someone at your local BMW club to order the waistline finisher. That's an easy 10% membership discount on parts/accessories from the stealership.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This is the first time I've seen the black waistline on an order sheet--no matter where it gets installed. Why MINI would install all-black trim--EXCEPT for the waistline--is another one of the mysteries that we're left to ponder.

It was like pulling teeth to get the head designer to suggest in a letter that the skeuomorphic hood scoop was dictated by marketing, not the design staff. But just as there are some who like the ornamental hood scoop, there are proponents for the chrome waistline trim.

upload_2022-3-8_8-20-16.png

They're not as bad as Subaru's disasterous front grille for the 2006 Tribeca.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. ghost

ghost Active Member

I just bought the $10 vinyl tape.

8. oldmorris

oldmorris New Member

Thanks for sharing that! Now do I think it worth the cost, not sureā€¦ might be a wait and see how the grey/black looks and if it really screws up the look.

9. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Yes you won't believe how much plastic chrome is piled up at the port side vehicle distribution centers for BMWs and MINI's.

insightman likes this.
  10. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

I find it interesting how your build sheet uses the Signature Plus trim as the Model Code and then adds Iconic trim at $3,000. I would have thought the Model Code would start with Signature trim and then show either the Signature Plus or Iconic trim as an option at +$4,000 or +$7,000, respectively.

Maybe this is a 2023 thing. Is Signature Plus the new base model?

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure and don't have experience with any build sheets from the past.

You've got one on order right? What trim do you have an how is your build sheet setup?

13. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

Yes, I have a 2023 on order:
    Build Sheet cropped.JPG

Sorry for stealing your thread OP. I too wonder about the black waistline trim and hope mine ends up coming with it at N/C.

14. oldmorris

oldmorris New Member

No worries. I wanted to get an answer, got it. Additionally, this will be easier for folks to find in the future.

yoomini likes this.
  15. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

We ended up buying the black waistline finisher, which is still a hilarious name for it, and installing it ourselves. I'm clumsy and not especially bright about this sort of thing but it was still easy to do. If I can do it, you can do it, is what I mean.
    It instantly made our car, enigmatic black/white roof, much handsomer. But now, when I look at it, I'm not always so sure it is handsomer.

16. I just ordered my '23 SE last weekend. When I asked my sales guy at the dealer about this option he said it used to be an option for the '22 but isn't for the '23s... so it's interesting that you were able to order it?! Perhaps I'll have to call my dealer again and tell him about this. Although ~$600 seems awfully expenseive for something like this. I was thinking once I receive the car I'd take it to a place that does car wraps and whatnot and have them do it.

17. Are trim pieces plastic whether they are black or chrome?