MM 0 1 7 Brake Fluid Change

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by aapitten, Sep 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Pay special attention to Posts # 56, 61, 64 in this thread. The warning lights illuminated as expected, but they do NOT go away with the application of brake pressure. In my case, clearing a code solved the problem. In @NorCalPete 's case, he could not find a code, but the lights eventually went away. I don't know if mine would have cleard on it's own eventually, but it does not work as described in the procedure.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gedwin

gedwin Member

I did my MM 7 brake bleeding this past weekend (2019 base). I wanted first and foremost to thank previous posters in this thread! It was so very helpful to know 1) that two rounds of bleeding are required and 2) that error codes may appear afterward that must be cleared. Knowing both of these facts in advance saved me a lot of worry and helped ensure I did the job correctly.

The bleeding was mostly straightforward and conventional; I use the old school method of having a partner (i.e., son) press and release the pedal on command as I operate the bleed stems (10 mm wrench for the front, 11 mm on the rear). I chose to be in the "Ready" mode as my interpretation of "On" from the service manual. The first round of bleeding in this mode went fine until I was almost done with the final wheel, back left. During one of the presses, my son reported that the display screen lit up like a Christmas tree with 8 or so warning about systems failings and also he said that the brake pedal feel changed noticeably for his future presses. (No reason for this to have triggered at that particular point; I had been careful to keep the reservoir topped off, so that wasn't an issue.) Since I had already felt I was done at that final wheel (clear fluid), I had him do one or two more presses for good measure, then considered the first phase done. We turned the power off, waited as instructed, and then did the power off bleeds without event.

When I had everything back together, I powered on and noted all the systems-are-off warnings and dash lights remained activated. Press and hold brake pedal did nothing. I attempted to drive (backing out of the garage), and braking was bizarre: weird pulsing, soft pedal and significant, unusual noises. This is where I was so glad to have read previous posts here, otherwise I would have been panicking that I had ruined my car! But, armed with that foreknowledge, I plugged in my OBDII scanner and read codes P1E52 and P25A2. I cleared these codes, powered down the car, and then powered on again. Everything thankfully appeared normal on the dash, and a test drive verified normal braking.

I'm concluding that some specific event/condition during the system-on phase of bleeding triggered the errors. So, I imagine it is possible to complete the system-on bleeding without triggering the error codes, either through luck or by eventually figuring out exactly what type of brake press motion can trigger the sensor involved. But, in any event, I think this explains why it can be a hit-or-miss experience; I expect some people could bleed successfully without having any trouble at all. I am not sure if my DTC codes (P1E52 and P25A2) are the same/equivalent to what others have had.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    crvinva, ZDub77 and MrFixit like this.
  4. gedwin

gedwin Member

Also, I think the time frame for this service is pretty well established earlier in this thread, but for the record: I cleared MM 7 (via the dashboard interface) yesterday after completing the brake fluid change. Today, when I read the car by OBDII (checking battery capacity for kicks), I noticed that Maintenance Item 7 is listed as due in 1094 days. Exactly 3 years from yesterday.

MrFixit likes this.
  5. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

My fluid was quite clear at the 3 year mark. So I waited another year to do my fluid change and did it yesterdy. I didn't any of the warning lights some of you were having. The posted instruction said the brake pedal will sink when bleeding in the "on" phase. But my wife said she didn't feel the pedal sinking in while it was being bleed. Is that normal ? The pedal did sink during the 'off' phase bleed. I also noticed that the fluid in 2nd reservoir, the one by the passenger side is darker then few fluid. Seems like the fluid in there didn't get change. I might try to bleed it this weekend with the bleed valve under that reservoir.

6. MrFixit

I assume fluid was coming out even though your wife did not perceive the sinking pedal?

If a lot of fluid came out during both of these phases, then I would declare victory.
    I see no reason to bleed again from a different spot than what is called for in the procedure assuming fluid was coming out readily.

I utilized a total of 36 ounces of new fluid from start to finish.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Of course fluid was coming out. I would have sounded the alarm if nothing was coming out. I used 3/4 of a 32oz bottle.

9. geokilla

geokilla New Member

Hey guys, my Honda Clarity is due for a brake fluid change. I've had the car for 4 years and almost 60k km in mainly city traffic. How much brake fluid did you guys use? I'm looking to upgrade from the Honda DOT3 fluid. Looking at getting some ATE TYP 200 or Pentosin DOT4. Sounds like 1L is a safe bet given the abnormal brake fluid change instructions as per Honda?

10. MrFixit

The manual for the Clarity (and other Honda vehicles) is specific about using Honda brand DOT3 fluid. There is a caveat about using other DOT3 or DOT4 fluids on a temporary basis if the specified fluid is not available...

Is this just sales hype, or is there some validity to this? You can find some discussions about this topic in the Honda forums, and it seems that Honda does have some proprietary corrosion preventative additives in their fluid. Here is a snip from the manual where the fluid is specified:

upload_2022-5-13_6-42-48.png

I used genuine Honda DOT3 fluid for a couple of reasons. First, this comment in the Honda owners manuals. Second, this brake system is substantially more complicated than others, and I felt like there may be more of the old fluid left behind than when a conventional system is flushed. This would result in an unavoidable mixture of the old and new fluid.

You may be fine with another brand of DOT3, or even DOT4, but it is not clear that a different fluid would represent an "upgrade" and it carries some risk.

I used three 12-oz bottles, and felt it was barely enough. It all depends on how much you flush out during the process. After only 3 years, it was not perfectly obvious when the fluid color changed from old to new when bleeding it out, so I may have bled more than necessary. I found it useful to measure the volume of fluid that I bled out each time to avoid running dry and also to make sure I had enough overall.

geokilla and gedwin like this.
  11. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

I think I would go with the OEM brake fluid also. Of course it's typical for manufacturers to recommend using their products, but in this case it specifically states there could be problems using something else, so whatever the cost savings might be using a different brand doesn't seem to be worth the risk.

gedwin likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Roen

Roen New Member

Honda says the same thing about coolant right?

I think the only thing I know I must use OEM is the transmission fluid. Other than that, I fail to see what's special about OEM engine oil, oil filter, coolant, brake fluid or windshield washer fluid.

EDIT: After doing some further reading, apparently Honda Coolant is actually different? Who knew. I suppose you can always use Honda DOT 4 if you wanted higher boiling points and also stay on the good side of warranty claims.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
  14. Honda knew.

There is quite a variety of chemistries available in modern coolants. Choosing the wrong one, or using the wrong concentration, can be costly mistakes.

Roen likes this.
  15. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I would use the OEM coolant. You dont want to mix and match since they could be different between different brand even though 3rd party coolant from prestone,etc said they are compatible. My brother had to replace a radiator because he put in the wrong stuff to top off the reservoir and the radiator rusted and leaked.

Roen likes this.
  16. crvinva

crvinva New Member

Did a brake fluid change with my friend in his 2021 Honda Clarity PHEV. We didn't know about the double-flush procedure (first with car ON and then again with the car OFF) at that time, so the car was off the whole time. Side note: why would Honda switch to rear 11 mm bleeder screws and put them in an awkward position facing up where they are harder to access (need a small wrench) and cause a bit of fluid spillage (just wipe it) is beyond me! When the car was turned on the dash lit up with a list of trouble indicators (just as other posters reported): Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM) problem, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) problem, Collision Mitigation Braking System (CBMS) problem, Hill Start Assist problem, Braking System problem, etc. Tried to read OBDII codes with one scanner I have and it couldn't see any. Driving the car was very sketchy: pulsating brake pedal, long stops, etc. Later in the day tried two other scanners (cheap ELM327 Bluetooth). Each one reported different/bogus error codes (ignition coil, glow plugs, etc.) but we tried erasing them anyway. Although it appeared that erasing the codes failed (we could read them again) when the car was turned off and on again a few things happened: the trunk popped opened, the fuel fill door popped opened, and all the problem indicators on the dashboard cluster display went away!
    Main takeaway: expect all those errors when doing brake fluid replacement and using a basic OBDII scanner should be able to clear them. But you may need to find one which will be able to read/erase them. Also, be sure to turn the car off and on after erasing the codes.
    Big thanks to everyone here who was brave to do this themselves and for helping others (including @MrFixit, @NorCalPete, and @gedwin). Especially to @gedwin, for describing "bizarre, weird pulsing, soft pedal and significant, unusual noises".
    Knowing all of this doing brake fluid change in this car isn't very difficult and very glad we did it. I've been changing brake fluid every 3 years in all my cars anyway. And now we know how to do it in this car as well. Hope others will find this helpful.

NorCalPete, MrFixit and gedwin like this.
  17. MrFixit

Thanks for elaborating on your experience with this bizarre behavior. This particular thought has me wondering about codes / clearing, etc. Is it possible that looking for codes and clearing them (even though they seem irrelevant) is just a red herring? Maybe all that is required is multiple on/off cycles, Maybe the next brave person who does a fluid change could try to see if they can get these messages to clear without fiddling around with OBD codes...

NorCalPete and crvinva like this.
  18. crvinva

crvinva New Member

I was thinking the same thing, and here's why: the next day (when all the problem messages on the dash were still gone and the brakes were working fine again) we used the same three scanners and results were identical to when problem messages were displayed. The ELM327 Bluetooth scanners were producing the same bogus trouble codes while another scanner reported no trouble codes at all again. I wonder if a fancier (Honda or aftermarket) scanner would be able to read and clear these (Honda-specific?) trouble codes sooner than waiting for some time or some number of car on/off cycles.
    I didn't mention this in my earlier post but we used a two-person method of bleeding brake fluid, as described in the official Honda procedure.
    Another thought: even though we had the car off during the entire brake fluid bleed process maybe the monitor system was still detecting abnormal pressures or low fluid level (in the master cylinder) during that time. And similarly, after the bleed procedure was done and the trouble codes we active, it took some time for the brake system to determine that everything is OK again, even while the car was turned off.