Finally got my EcoHitch - what do I need to know before buying a bike rack?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by mritty, Mar 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. mritty

mritty New Member

I finally got off my rump and purchased the EcoHitch for my 2018 Clarity and had it installed earlier this week. Now my wife and I want to find a bike rack that can hold two bikes and be mounted to this new hitch, so we can take our bikes to some park or another. Assume I'm an idiot (not a very bad assumption). What do I need to know before I buy the bike rack? I know the "Tongue weight" of the hitch is 300lbs. I know the hitch is the 2" variety. Beyond that, and my knowing I want to have a bike rack that fits two bikes… I don't know what I don't know. Do I just need to make sure the two bikes plus the bike rack are under 300lbs? Other considerations to keep in mind?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. We had a Küat rack that fit a 2” receiver for our Jeep. I can’t imagine 2 bikes and the rack weighing anywhere near 300lbs. Keep in mind that 300lbs is the rating for the hitch, there’s no tongue weight rating for the vehicle.

Use caution when transitioning from a driveway to the street. I’ve grazed the hitch once or twice. With the rack extended out the risk of scraping is increased. You could add a hitch riser, but I’d recommend just being aware of the issue. 3596844D-36F9-4FF0-B288-E61B78929DDC.jpeg 98A9E2CB-C1B6-40D6-B616-82FE878B6694.jpeg

JustAnotherPoorDriver and mritty like this.
  4. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

I splurged and got the 1Up hitch since I am partial to non-rusting metals. It rises slightly soon after exiting the receiver, so the only chance of it being what contacts the ground would be on a slope steeper than is safe to travel (or if you've forgotten to tilt it back to its normal travel position). The Ecohitch receiver itself has hit the ground a few times though.

Another advantage I saw with the 1Up is that the bike trays are removable. So, I've taken one off temporarily and mounted it to our kayak trailer.

https://1up-usa.com