Hyundai Mapcare Doesn't Care (about errors)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Toolworker, Mar 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hyundai's consistent attention to customer care is reflected in their handling of a map error that insists in sending me miles out of the way. It won't route me onto the southbound freeway here:

Hyundai Nav system has head up ass.jpg

I reported the problem in January, along with another similar one. Here's the reply posted on HERE Map Creator:

HERE has head up ass.png

"According to our sources, we have found our database to be correct."

Well, according to Google Maps (and this 30 year resident), your sources are as competent as the rest of Hyundai's customer response people:

Google Maps CORRECT route (2).png

I had stupidly installed the Fall 2021 nav update, being willing to put up with the Nixie tubes and other downgrades in exchange for correct routing. Instead I got the Nixies but still have the incorrect routing. Hyundai don't care.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. nigels

nigels Active Member

I've given up on installing map updates because the updates always seem to make things worse. So, I'm still on the pre-Nixie version and will likely stay there until I'm forced to update.

Navigation errors aren't unique to Hyundai's map provider, however. I had Google Maps try to send me into an infinite loop because they're got the road name and street number mixed up - it could never successfully navigate to the street number. I had another navigation app tell me to exit a highway and then get right back on. The best one was a multi-layer intersection where a freeway overlapped a surface street intersection. It wanted me to take a left that didn't exist at my level. Fortunately my human navigator wife has an uncanny sense of direction and outwits navigation apps 99% of the time :)

Hyundai's software leaves a lot to be desired. Especially the MyHyundai BlueLink app that sometimes turns on pre-heating successfully, sometimes refuses, and other times just flat out lies.

electriceddy and apu like this.
  4. I've had excellent luck with Google maps. A highlight was navigating scenic back roads to a minor border crossing from Croatia to Slovenia in a rented car, pre-pandemic.

I had a 2020 Ultimate with the Spring 2021 nav update. The nav was fine, although I hated the Nixie degradation of the radio interface.

I did a buyback swap for a 2021 Ultimate built around the end of 2020. It had the pre-Nixie software, but multiple nav errors so I eventually installed the Fall 2021 update. It fixed some errors and created others.

Anyway, I had reported the above error again. Then I got an email saying that the correction was refused, but the space in the email that should have had a reason was blank.

When I logged into the Here account, it said it couldn't install the correction because it was already fixed in the database. Well, we'll see.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Google maps just recently updated to filter "fast chargers" (over 50kW) also includes connector compatibility;)

6. I like the Hyundai display and the nav system in general - except for the stupid routings.

Google maps is great for accuracy, but it's a PITA to connect with a cable on my 2021 and start up Android Auto. And then the infotainment system displays the map in a 6 3/4" window on my 10 1/4" display.

So my choice is between losing half the display area, or getting lost myself. Either way, the Hyundai system is a loser.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I've been reporting issues at the Map-n-Soft site for a couple of years now. They just don't seem to care, or at best, ignore the posts. Not a good look for Hyundai. I mean "survey" about who wants the 3-way split to be returned had a TON of votes to return it - ignored. So what is the point?

https://www.mapnsoft.com/hyundai/forum/kona

9. [​IMG]:D