Cargo Ship full of Porsche and VW vehicles catches fire

Discussion in 'General' started by Nebula, Feb 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. cometguy

cometguy New Member

USA
    Is there any online source for this information? It doesn't surprise me to hear this. It's certainly a big reason that Putin wants Ukraine (for its natural resources)...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. cometguy likes this.
  4. VW expanded the plant in Chattanooga with new buildings to create production lines for VW ID.4. They were already producing some test bodies when I visited it last year. It is supposed to be producing production vehicles this summer.

5. We're getting a bit off topic here, but I'll just add that these materials aren't yet feedstock for production, so I don't think there'll be much impact to baattery production in the short to medium term. Hopefully, things will resolve and Ukraine can get back to developing this resource.

6. cometguy

cometguy New Member

USA
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. John Lumsden and Raylo like this.
  9. There have been several articles about this ship and the how it effects the future owners. The only effect to future owners is VW will need to build new cars to replace the lost ones and reship them. VW owns them until they are delivered.

Jim Matthews and Domenick like this.
  10. You would think some of our gentle readers were wishing for a predetermined outcome.

John Lumsden likes this.
  11. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. cometguy

cometguy New Member

USA
    Well, I'm wishing for a determined cause, as I think most people are... Maybe something more will be forthcoming from the crew (who reported that the fire started on a car deck) or from the guys who boarded the ship to "stabilize" it prior to towing (and prior to sinking)...

14. cometguy

cometguy New Member

USA
    I suspect that this will effect all future shipments of BEVs across oceans, in that higher insurance and shipping costs will jack up the shipping fee that we pay to dealerships... Part of what will be analyzed is how the cars are separated and what kinds of fire-suppressing systems can be improved (if at all).... It's not a question of "if" these costs will rise, but "by how much?"... And, will this push more overseas BEV manufacturers to build more BEV factories in the overseas countries that they want to sell them in...

15. One might be forgiven for thinking there's a "whispered campaign" carried by newly minted members of EV enthusiast forums. It's not without precedent.

https://www.vox.com/2015/5/7/8562007/streetcar-history-demise

Almost Green likes this.
  16. cometguy

cometguy New Member

USA
    Not sure what you're getting at here... Are you saying that new members of a forum can't partake in discussion?
    I've been an EV owner since 2018 and a member of close to a dozen EV forums; I just found out about this forum this past month, wanting to see what a more general EV forum is like, as I'm not beholden to any one car brand (the other EV forums I belong to are brand- or vehicle-specific ... Porsche, Kia, Volvo, Mach-E, I-Pace, Polestar 2...). Do you have some agenda to prevent new people on this forum from being a part of the forum? Because your comments are very odd...

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Of course not. Share your thoughts and we'll get along.
    My EV ownership started in May 2016 with a 2014 BMW i3-REx; later a 2017 Prius Prime, and; today a 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus. Before then, I started with a 2003 Prius in October 2005. My Prius ownership included a 2010 Prius (aka., Gen 3.)

Others here had similar history and advocate for their current rides and technology based upon their 'hands on' experience. Keep it real and you'll certainly find tolerance from me. Bring in 3d hand rumors and you'll soon wish you hadn't.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  18. Tony S

Tony S Active Member