Battery Issues - P0BBD code, voltage variation exceeded

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by fdnnews, Feb 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fdnnews

fdnnews New Member

Lately I've been having a battery issue that results in 2 codes - P0BBD and P0B29 along with a bunch of dash error lights.

Clearing the codes and a few recharge cycles seems to return things to normal for a while.

I think this means that one of the battery cells (B29) is failing and I will eventually need to approach Honda about the 8 year 100k mile battery warranty.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar problem?

2018 Clarity PHEV in NC with ~65k miles. 12v battery replaced ~3 months ago.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Might I suggest that you can read out the details of your HV battery (including battery capacity and individual cell voltages).
    There are 3 approaches to do this:

Approach #1:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/read-battery-capacity-yourself-autel-ap200-breakthrough.9913/

Approach #2:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/budget-battery-capacity-readout.10531/

Both of these threads are quite cluttered - I recommend Approach #2 because the AP200 has been poorly supported.

Approach #3:
    Finally, there is one other (lesser used) option that is based on Approach #2. This option generates a nice formatted report directly to your PC. You can see that one here (along with an example report):
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/pc-based-electric-powertrain-report-battery-capacity.12220/

It would be very interesting to see your detailed battery information given the description of your problem.

4. I’d get it to the dealer sooner rather than later.

5. fdnnews

fdnnews New Member

I'm row 217 in the battery capacity data table. You can see I reported 45.5Ah when the problems were occuring. At other times, like right now (below), it reports in the ~53 range.

I hadn't seen the report generator tool. I'll see if I can get it working and upload a full report. That's really cool.

Thanks.

IMG_2680.PNG

6. fdnnews

fdnnews New Member

Full report

Attached Files:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrFixit

Excellent !
    I'm glad it worked for you.

It is interesting that one of your "B" cells does look to be out of character.
    The graph goes off the scale - I can re-process the '.log' file in order to re-do the scale if you send it.
    You have some evidence that something is intermittant. If it gets into the other state, I wonder if this cell would look different?

Attach the log file it you like and I can re-run a report with a different graph scale.

9. fdnnews

fdnnews New Member

That would be great.

Which log file do you need? Is it one of the csv1,csv2,bsc files from CarScanner or something else?

10. MrFixit

Sorry, I wasn't very clear...

The Powertrain Report tool that you ran reads the data from the car and creates a '.txt' file. Then this .txt file is processed to make the report. You should have a .txt file from when you ran the tool. The name will be coded with the date - As an example, it would look something like this:

SessJava_2022_Feb_23_xx_xx_xx.txt

When you ran the tool, it should have had you save this file somewhere. It should still be there.

11. fdnnews

fdnnews New Member

Found it.

Attached Files:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrFixit

That cell definitely sticks out like a sore thumb. The "A" bank looks fine.
    As for the cell number, I am not certain that our nomenclature matches Honda's. We found the group of cells in the data stream and just started numbering them 1-84.

Re-processed report (attached) shows how far out of whack that cell is. I don't know if it would be worth reading this again right after charging / cell balancing... This set represents a SOC of ~90%.

Attached Files:

14. fdnnews

fdnnews New Member

I'm going to make a point to collect some more data the next time the warning lights flash and the car throws codes. I'd especially like to see what things look like when the overall capacity is being reported around 45Ah.

Attached are files from 100% SOC. Thanks for the work you (@MrFixit) and @lincomatic have done to make this info available.

If anyone has seen similar behavior, I'd love to hear about it.

Attached Files:

15. MrFixit

Attached is the re-scaled plot for your 100% case.
    I could change this so it auto-scales to the min / max, but that tends to make the scales a little strange. With a 'normal' battery it is not a problem, but one like yours is trickier... The table showing min / max is always right, let me think about plot scaling that will always show the extremes...

Attached Files:

16. MrFixit

I changed the Powertrain Report code in GitHub to handle graph scaling a little better...

17. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

That's the equivalent of finding that the tread depth on your tires has increased since the last time you checked them. Something just doesn't seem right. MrFixit has noted that a few people have 55 Ah or just under, when their car seems to be much too high mileage for that high of a capacity. Leading to the theory that battery capacity can in some cases be reset, although it's not known if this happens inadvertently during software updates at the dealer, or in your case maybe the jump in reported capacity is another system of problems with the HV battery.

18. lincomatic

lincomatic Member

Thanks for reporting these data, Joe! It would be enlightening if you could post a low SOC report, as well. It looks quite likely that you have a bad cell in Bank B. They shouldn't go that far out of balance unless something's amiss.

19. lincomatic

lincomatic Member

Yes, my car was recently throwing just about every possible fault in a random fashion. Sometimes, I'd drive it a few hundred feet, and they'd clear. Other times, it would throw different faults after sitting a while. It turned out that the 12V battery was weak. In the process, they did some sort of reset on my car, which made my battery capacity shoot up to higher than the first time I ever measured it. It's floating downwards now, but still higher than the first time I got a reading. So it definitely is possible for the battery capacity value to fluctuate upwards under certain circumstances. I'm waiting to see if it doing some sort of self-calibration, and drops back down to my original range.

20. fdnnews

fdnnews New Member

11% SOC report

Attached Files:

21. MrFixit

Interesting... The 'bad' cell does not really show up with the low SOC condition.
    It would be interesting to hear from a battery engineer as to what type of failure could manifest itself in this way.

I guess the other consideration is the fact that right now [I think], your vehicle is not reporting failure codes? Obviously, you will probably try to catch some data if / when the failure code(s) appear again.

22. fdnnews

fdnnews New Member

The 2 failure codes (P0BBD and P0B29) are still archived in the cars memory, but the check engine light is off since I cleared them with car scanner pro.

It history is a guide, this issue will pop up again at some point, the car will throw the same codes, and I'll do my best to get some powertrain reports soon after.

I too would be interested to hear any theories about what might be going on in the battery to cause this.

23. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

When you say fluctuating upwards I can imagine that might be possible for very small amounts, normally mine only goes down but one time I saw it go up 0.2 Ah. Presumably the capacity test does not always get the exact same result, I remember someone speculating that for that reason it might use an average of the last several tests, which would make sense. Perhaps it gives more weight to earlier results in case the latest test was way off. That would also explain why after a reset back up to 55 Ah it doesn't immediately drop back down to 45 Ah or whatever the first time it does a new capacity check, instead it drifts downwards as repeated tests are done. I'm guessing that in your case it reset to 55 Ah at the dealer but by the time you were able to check it had already dropped some.