Potential Mini SE Owner

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Almost Green, Feb 22, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I've been reviewing all currently selling EV's and really nothing checked my boxes (tripped my trigger) until I started reviewing the Mini. This thing seems to check my needs and deliver some fun at the same time. I'm a 73 old senior living the solo life with 95% of my driving being local. So my question to you owners is what is your likes or dislikes? Would you buy another? Anything I should be aware of before ordering one?

GetOffYourGas and wessy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I have had my MINI SE for about 3 months. I have owned many Toyotas, some Mazdas and Hondas, a 5 series BMW, a couple of VWs, a Volvo, and a 2002 MINI Cooper S. I’ve also over the years had a few company cars from GM, Ford and Triumph.
    The MINI Cooper SE replaced a 2015 Honda Fit.
    Of all these cars over the last 43 years, most driven over 50k miles, the absolutely most fun car I have ever owned was the Cooper S. (The Triumph TR8 was fun but the build quality was absolute shite.)
    Almost every car I owned was the right choice when I bought them. Some had the shine wear off in a couple of years but the only car that truly turned my crank and left a lasting impression that I wanted another was the MINI.
    Mike Wazowski, my current MINI’s name, puts a massive smile on my face every time I pull out of the driveway.
    Mike is every bit as inspiring as Barrington Steele, my Cooper S of old.
    (Because every MINI must have a name.)

Mike Wazowski
    & more ️ than &

wessy, insightman and Almost Green like this.
  4. sousvide

sousvide Member

I haven't received my Mini SE yet but I did have a Tesla Model Y Performance that is being replaced by the SE.

Reason why I'm replacing the Tesla is because we realized we didn't need the range and honestly all that power. We drove the Tesla 30K miles in 1.5 years and only traveled long distance 4-5 times and we live in the suburbs of Houston, the 4th largest city in the US.

If you have access to something that is longer range, let it be ICE or EV for emergencies, or only in an urban environment majority of the time then the Mini SE just makes sense. Low maintenance, low cost of "fuel" if you are able to charge at home and if what I'm reading is correct, it still drives like a Mini.

If you are able to, go test drive one.

wessy and Urbanengineer like this.
  5. Thanks for the feedback. My brother is on his 2nd Tesla and has road tripped to death with his. I was considering going Tesla, but then the more I thought about it and the price I realized it would be more car than I needed so the hunt was on. My nearest Mini dealer is 55mi away in the Chicago suburbs so I will be make a trip to them shortly.

6. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

If when I turned around after I parked and walked away from my car and didn't smile I knew I had the wrong car. If that describes you, then you will like the Mini. I've owned too many cars over the last 40+ years. RX-7s, Firebirds, Z-28s, M-3, Porsches, Miata to name the better ones for the smile factor. The SE is a blast to drive, and stock, and for daily driving, and utility (for 2) is about as high on the smiles per mile meter as a Miata or 944.

Mini was the only EV I considered.

Life is too short to drive boring cars (there are 2 unexciting V8 Volvos in the house too), I know from what I speak.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    wessy and Almost Green like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. sousvide

sousvide Member

I think the biggest thing you need to research is the SE going to have enough range for your needs in cold weather. Other EVs like Tesla have a larger battery pack and will give you decent range in colder weather.

There is a thread about cold weather here and would be a good read and place to ask questions.

Here's the thread:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/winter-battery-performance.12837/

9. TripleD

TripleD Active Member

78 years old. Most fun car we have had. Would buy again. Of course, we do have the Honda CRV AWD for days like this with snow.
    And you can't beat having $10,000 refunded on Fed and State tax returns. ($2,500 Colorado).

wessy and Almost Green like this.
  10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Since 2016 I drive BMW i3 EV in January 3 2022 I replaced with Mini SE ,I’m driving local like you and I’m 71 years young .Those 2cars are the best fun to drive ,bc I own solar on top cost me nothing to drive.Se is a blast to drive . With my statue 6’1”/225 lbs. i fit SE were well , with rear sits down is plenty of room for grocery.Get SE and enjoy new technology. Good luck!

Almost Green and GvilleGuy like this.
  11. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Don’t wait to order try to shop all Mini dealers around ,with a little luck you can get one fast . I purchased mine in 2weeks only 60 miles from my location.only color was important to me ,get a base model have everything what the expensive one offer.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Location where you live I will consider winter set of tires,front wheel drive car are doing very well on Winter tires ,I’m telling you from experience always own winter tires on every car I own .

insightman likes this.
  14. CooperDeux

CooperDeux New Member

I have about 300 miles on mine currently and am battling cold temps and snow in Minnesota. My SE range drops to about half on the cold days, which is still plenty to get to and from work. It’s fun to drive, but definitely not as fun as the Cooper S convertible with a 6-speed (imho). So far, I love it.

15. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

You get that back if you pay 10K in taxes if you pay a little or nothing you get nothing !Those EV rebates are for rich who pay taxes

16. I've owned and winter driven a couple FWD cares in our N. IL winters in a daily 120mi round trip to work through all kinds of weather. Also drove a 2wd pickup truck on the same route through winters also. Grew up on a farm and learned to drive bad weather at early age when all we had were 2wd vehicles. Always found the FWD's to handle winter weather very well with normal highway tires. Although I did upgrade to good highway tires. Since I'm retired I don't have to go out into the bad weather. Can usually wait.

17. Yep, I don't pay much these days. I will probably get more from the state than the Fed's.

18. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

If you going to order Mini SE pay attention to tires in your climate at least request all season set up bc I pic up a car from dealer what he was able to sell to me car come with high performance summer tires which are the worse for winter driving but like you said I can stay home when snowing here or use my wife Subaru. forester

19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Here's my take:

upload_2022-2-22_16-40-33.png

20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I have 650 miles on mine but in NY is hot compare to your location ,SE should be the fastest from all minis love a car too.53’ F now

21. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Presumably the Chinese electric MINIs are coming in 2024. It could be absolutely brilliant or chinesium (rubbish).

22. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

I like the hood quality and the general driving experience.
    It’s a bit low for getting in and out of and I say that as someone in his mid 40’s…

Range is the main factor, if it works for you then it’s a great buy. I would use the “a better route planner” website to plan any longer trips you think you might do to see how that would work in terms of charging stops.

I will say that without the federal rebate the Mini, while still a good buy, is clearly not as much of a bargain. For example at full MSRP it’s closer in price to other EV’s that are larger and have much more range. But again, if it works for you…

23. Urbanengineer

Urbanengineer Active Member

We have over 10k miles in a year on ours. Done a few road trips. Fun car, superchargs extremely slowly.