Comparing EV efficiency

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by nigels, Feb 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. nigels

nigels Active Member

The lease on my 2019 Kona Electric expires in May, so I've been trying to figure out what to replace it with. I've been really happy with my Kona. It's great car.

I chose to lease it because I expected a lot of progress in performance, range, and cost over the lease period. With the battery fire concerns, I expect the resale value of Kona Electrics to plummet. To my surprise I have equity in the car (it's worth more to sell than to buy at the end of the lease).

Trying to make sense of what to replace it was making my head spin, so I decided to build a spreadsheet to help make with the decision. As soon as I'd done this, InsideEVS published this Comparison. Unfortunately, it doesn't compare the things I was interested in looking at. For example, what's the best range per dollar (the cheapest car with the longest range)? Which EV has the best power/weight ratio?

In the replies, I'll post graphs of metrics I compared.

If anyone would like to collaborate on adding missing EVs or correcting any errors in the data, send me a DM and I'll add you to the Google Sheet so you can edit it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. nigels

nigels Active Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  4. nigels

nigels Active Member

Power to Weight ratio (kw/lb) (longer bar is better). Not surprisingly, Tesla's Model 3 Performance AWD wins (358kW), and it's relatively light (4,250lb) compared to the Mustang Mach-E GT ER eAWD (4,989lb). The Kona EV doesn't win here, of course, but it's still better than many of the new entrants (Hyundai Ioniq 5, Polestar 2, Subaru Solterra, and VW ID.4).

Attached Files:

5. nigels

nigels Active Member

Range (mi) (longer bar is better). I was expecting to see more cars with 300+ mile range. Longer range and faster charging are the criteria I'm looking for in my next EV. The Kia EV6 looks promising because it has a 310 mile range but has a relatively low MSRP ($47,000 for the Wind RWD model).

Attached Files:

6. nigels

nigels Active Member

Efficiency (mi/kWh) (longer bar is better). Nice to see the Kona EV nearly at the top of this chart, beaten only by the Tesla Model 3. Absolutely efficiency values aren't much of a prediction of real world efficiency. Mine span 2.2 kWh in winter with heat on, to 6.2 kWh in summer with no AC. Still, relative numbers are interesting and it confirms what I've been reading: many of the new generation of EVS aren't very efficient.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. nigels

nigels Active Member

As much as I'd enjoy a new car, I've decided to buy my Kona EV at the end of its lease. It does everything I need it to do. I like the form factor, the performance, it's fun-to-drive, it's very well equipped, and it's not a Tesla. Nothing against Tesla, but every other car here seems to be a M3. I'll wait for next generation of EV technology to come to market with longer range and faster recharging.

arhnold and Ginginova like this.
  9. Excellent series of posts, @nigels. Thank you.

Now that your Kona is a long term proposition, have you considered changing the reduction gear oil? Page 6 and onwards here and also this thread for info as to why.

nigels likes this.
  10. nigels

nigels Active Member

Thanks @OzKona. It seems like a good idea to stay on top of reduction gear oil changes. I’m curious to see what the oil condition is like.

11. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Efficiency is a hard sell. People have developed an intuitive understanding of "miles per gallon" but even then it's rarely used as a selling point. Fewer people understand "miles per kwh" even though it's the exact same concept. Everyone understands performance, though, and so EVs are built for and boast performance... which results in lower efficiency.

Great comparisons, BTW. A picture is definitely worth a thousand words!

nigels likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

Since driving an EV, I noticed that I am almost completely uninterested in the km/kWh performance parameter in terms of costs (I do not take them into account at all, because I almost always charge with the relatively cheapest electricity at home), but by far I am most interested in the performance parameter in terms of range. And this is what I take into account when assessing cars in the context of a future purchase. It was completely different in the era of ICE :). I suppose it will be so until the EV range ceases to be a problem on longer journeys, especially in winter. Next week I have to make a one-off journey of about 440 km and I am extremely irritated by the need to charge on the way (and keep the speed unreasonably low so as not to lose too much range).

OzKona and George Davidson like this.
  14. nigels

nigels Active Member

EV manufacturers seem to be locked in a 0-60 performance battle that has little relevance to real world driving. Yes, its thrilling to demonstrate a ~2 second 0-60, but range seems more relevant to increasing EV adoption. I'd like to see EVs optimizing for range, emphasizing efficiency and light(er) weight, and lower cost. Honda had the right idea with the Honda e, but the 168 mile range isn't going to endear it to buyers. What's surprising is that the Kona Electric is so efficient, yet it wasn't built on a custom-designed EV platform.

Rob Fitzgerald and OzKona like this.
  15. nigels

nigels Active Member

When I first got the Kona, I was obsessed with mi/kWh, and tried to always get the number as high as possible. I'd had a range anxiety mentality. With convenient at home charging, and a better sense of real-world achievable range, I spend much less time gamifying my driving to maximize mi/kWh, though I still enjoy seeing high numbers. You're right @Tomek, range is now the criteria I care most about. Since I still have ICE cars, they get used exclusively for long drives. That would change with fast charging and/or longer range. The current EV options aren't compelling enough for a switch from the Kona because I'm getting 300+ miles already in mild weather.

Rob Fitzgerald likes this.
  16. I honestly see range being a less of a bigger deal once the battery tech supports faster charging and the infrastructure has more reliable DC chargers in place.
    At some point I think we will be fine with 250-300 miles EVs that can top up in 10-15 minutes. We are close to that with Ionic 5 (assuming ideal summer temperatures, lol) and potential accessibility to the Tesla charging network.

Bill Carter likes this.
  17. nigels

nigels Active Member