Leading Vehicle Departure Alert Not Working

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by NorthernLights, Feb 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. My 2020 Niro Premium is supposed to have this feature, but it doesn't work. I did everything I could in the menus, but could not get it to work. I took it to the dealer, who just repeated my attempts to fix it via the menu, which (surprise!) did nothing.

They looked at it again when I went in to pick up my plates. They had the car for over an hour, and still couldn't get it to work.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

I don't think this was a feature in 2019 models and actually I'm not sure I would like it. It would feel weird to have the car "alert me" when it was time to get going!

Hopefully you'll be able to find a solution?

4. I have a 2020 Hyundai Ioniq EV with this feature and I really like it. It just gives one soft "ding" when the vehicle in front leaves.

Crash likes this.
  5. Crash

Crash Member

My Kia Niro EV does the same as your Ioniq EV.

6. Joe W. CSP

Joe W. CSP New Member

Not me. I also have the 2020 Niro (not premium) and it works as expected. Keep in mind the gentle "ding" only alerts when you are using the smart cruise control, and you allow the cruise control to stop you. NOT your foot. If you place you foot on the brake you will shut off the cruise control and it's features.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Crash

Crash Member

Joe not sure if you need to have the smart cruise control on. I typically get the "ding" when I am at a light or dropping off kids at school which in both cases my cruise control is off.

9. jeff_h

jeff_h Member

The behavior in my 2019 is as Joe notes above -- will give that ding only when you've stopped while using smart cruise control, otherwise I've never heard it while just sitting at a light and the cruise is not on.

10. Crash

Crash Member

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 8.17.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 8.16.40 PM.png
    I see that the manual says that Smart Cruise Control has to be on, but that makes no sense. If you have cruise control on you are zipping down the highway. No one is stopped. Cruise control cuts off below around 20 mph. Must be confusion on terminology.

Either way, my car "dings" when the car in front of me and I are both stopped and then that car pulls away. Makes sense. It is telling me, I might want to start moving.

11. jeff_h

jeff_h Member

The above is not true for my 2019, the cruise will stay on and remain on to a dead stop at a traffic light, and then the dash message will say to get moving again hit the accelerator or nudge the cruise button upward, and then it continues on with the current speed settings.

However that "leading vehicle is driving away" is something I've never seen, don't know if that's available on the 2019?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Thankfully my Ioniq EV gives me the notification without the cruise control being activated - it works during normal driving around town. I've RARELY come to a stop with the cruise control activated. I'll call the dealer and see what they say & report back. Thanks for all the responses.

14. Went to the dealer today and they checked the sensors and all things seemed to be OK, but the system still did not work as it should. They had the car over an hour. The administrator said "everything's fine" & "it should work". He handed me a copy of the owner's manual page showing me the menu item that activates the LVDA. He was the fifth person at the dealership who I explained to that I have a car with that system that works and I know how to use it. I was annoyed.

I told him to let one of the technicians ride with me. We did that and the LVDA did not work. Went back and they opened a ticket with Kia Service.
    More time wasted.

15. bitkahuna

bitkahuna New Member

registered to post... just went through it not working on my '21 santa fe. tried everything in menus/buttons but no good. was ready to go to the dealer.
    the solution? a good scrub of the rectangular radar sensor cover on the center of the front of the car. it has quite a few bugs splatted on it.
    after that - works perfectly again.

16. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Wifes Subaru has this and it is annoying as hell.
    Car 1/4 mile ahead changes lanes I do not need notification